Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with lens selection for a trip  (Read 1405 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Help with lens selection for a trip
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »

I am off to Alaska this summer for a 15 day excursion, 5 days in Denali and 10 days cruising on a small ship (with frequent shore trips). It's a vacation with my wife and not a photo expedition per se, so I don't want to be hampered by a huge mound of heavy gear, but I also want to be able to take good advantage of all I will be able to shoot.

I think my basic kit will be my D-700, Sigma 10-20mm, Nikkor 24-70mm, Nikkor 80-200mm, and a tripod. I'll also have a Canon G10 and a netbook for viewing/backups. Optional lenses are:

- Nikkor 24mm tilt/shift. Heavy and bulky but potentially essential for some shots - or can I plan to use multiple shots from a tripod with focus merge?
- Tamron 180mm macro. A lovely lens but fairly heavy and overlaps focal length with the Nikkor zoom.
- Nikkor 60mm macro. Small and light, perhaps a good addition?
- Sigma 100-300 zoom. Bulky and heavy, I am almost sure I'll leave this behind.

Any thoughts or experience will be greatly appreciated.

tokengirl

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:27:00 pm »

If I could only take one lens on a trip like that, it would be the 24mm tilt/shift.  I have the Canon version, and I find it invaluable for landscapes.

stever

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:35:32 pm »

with all due respect (and i've been there), the 10-20 and TS would be down on my list (although i'd rather have the IQ of the 24).  my favorite boat lens is the Canon 100-400 - there are opportunities for Grizzlies, Orcas, Bald Eagles, and you need a long lens - the light is generally good so stabilization may not be critical (although i find it quite nice on a boat).

you may or may not find any macro opportunities, i wasn't clever enough to find much - but a 60mm prime is great for panos, even if they're hand-held

i'd take the 24, 24-70, 60, and 100-300 (and maybe an extender although my experience with extenders on zooms is not good)
Pages: [1]   Go Up