Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch Raw files to PS Smart object?  (Read 5293 times)

Gupfold

Batch Raw files to PS Smart object?
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:18:46 pm »

Hi there

I have fiddled around with ACR and Photoshop but havnt managed to find a way to Batch process raw Files to PS files with Smart objects, is there something I am missing or do you have to do this one by one in the ACR Open Object option? I have a few hundred raw files that files I would like to process to PS files so I can place them in Indesign, then when finalized edit the ones I have used again in ACR if necessary.

Thanks
Guy

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:33:21 am »

Quote from: Gupfold
Hi there

I have fiddled around with ACR and Photoshop but havnt managed to find a way to Batch process raw Files to PS files with Smart objects, is there something I am missing or do you have to do this one by one in the ACR Open Object option? I have a few hundred raw files that files I would like to process to PS files so I can place them in Indesign, then when finalized edit the ones I have used again in ACR if necessary.

Thanks
Guy

Hmmmm...  that's a good question.  I don't have time to try it, but my first route would be to try Apple Automator to make a script.  If I have a chance today I think I'll try it.

edit: Messed with it a bit, it's easy enough to get Automator to open single images and save them as Smart Objects, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to do several- since there's no "Save All As" command in Photoshop.  Next approach would be to set it up to do a fixed number- 10 "concurrent "Save As" commands, but I ran out of time...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:16:21 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:14:12 pm »

You could always write a proper script in Visual Basic, AppleScript or JavaScript, and attach it to the events manager (File > Scripts > Script Event Manager). The script may have to be attached to the Open Document event, and would have to check aspects of the file such as the existence of a SO layer - otherwise it would try to save every new document.

Gupfold

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:12:50 am »

Thanks for trying teddillard, I dont have a have Mac but tried with actions in PS and didnt come right - surely there must be a way? I dont know / havnt tried to script before.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:14:49 am by Gupfold »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:35:52 am »

As i said, you'll have to script it following the method I outlined.

An alternative approach is to use Lightroom 3 (free beta) and particularly its Publish feature.

John

teddillard

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 05:39:20 am »

Quote from: johnbeardy
As i said, you'll have to script it following the method I outlined.

An alternative approach is to use Lightroom 3 (free beta) and particularly its Publish feature.

John

How would this work, John?  
Ted Dillard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:02:28 am »

Ted,

While the most obvious use of Publish is with online services, Publish also has an option called "Hard Drive" which allows you to define folders to which it'll output pictures. You can set it up so LR knows it's going to export pictures in certain output sizes, bit depth, file type - you choose the sizes at which they are going to appear in InDesign. Then "publish" - all the sizes and variations are saved as a batch. The result is a "temporary" folder of (say) 16 bit TIF files which drive your InDesign document.

Now, imagine you've added all  those images to the layout but need to make changes to some of the originals - you go back to Lightroom and make Lightroom adjustments to the raw file or DNG, or you jump from there to Photoshop for any TIF/PSD originals. Once you're done, Publish shows you which images have changed and need to be re-published. Hit the button and LR saves them at the sizes you've already defined, with bit depth, file names etc, and overwrites the files in that temporary folder.

It cuts out a lot of the confusion caused by wanting to chop and change raw images in a layout, and your workflow remains (relatively) non-destructive. You can also use virtual copies - so your planned book might have two crops of the same image and rather than you having to have two smart object based TIFs, instead Lightroom would handle this with VCs. The management too is much simpler - InDesign just stays pointed at that temporary folder, while Lightroom stays in control of your originals and manages the creation of derivatives required for the book.

John

teddillard

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »

ahhh...  got it, thanks.
Ted Dillard

capital

• Website
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:40:49 am »

Thanks for trying teddillard, I dont have a have Mac but tried with actions in PS and didnt come right - surely there must be a way? I dont know / havnt tried to script before.

Have you tried coupling the action with the built in "Image Processor" under File > Scripts > Image Processor...

teddillard

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 06:13:47 am »

Quote from: capital
Have you tried coupling the action with the built in "Image Processor" under File > Scripts > Image Processor...

I tried that, Image Processor will save the files out as TIFF but not as a SO.
Ted Dillard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 06:39:42 am »

Quote from: teddillard
I tried that, Image Processor will save the files out as TIFF but not as a SO.
See my first post - that's how you'd have to do it if you want to go from Bridge/ACR.

Or you could write a script (JS/VB/AS - not Automator) which loops through a folder, then tells Photoshop to open each file as a Smart Object and saves it. Again you're into learning to script Photoshop, which isn't exactly germane to achieving the end result.

John

teddillard

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 06:05:52 am »

See my first post - that's how you'd have to do it if you want to go from Bridge/ACR.

Or you could write a script (JS/VB/AS - not Automator) which loops through a folder, then tells Photoshop to open each file as a Smart Object and saves it. Again you're into learning to script Photoshop, which isn't exactly germane to achieving the end result.

John

You wouldn't care to share a little about how to learn scripting, for us'ns that don't have a clue, wouldja?
Ted Dillard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:44:46 am »

By hacking the sample files, and by having something specific you want to achieve - eg this smart object job.

I can't recall if the sample files are installed by default or if one has to download the SDK. I'd also suggest using JavaScript as it's not limited to one platform and there's much more Photoshop-specific code in the wild.

John

teddillard

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 08:06:18 pm »

By hacking the sample files, and by having something specific you want to achieve - eg this smart object job.

I can't recall if the sample files are installed by default or if one has to download the SDK. I'd also suggest using JavaScript as it's not limited to one platform and there's much more Photoshop-specific code in the wild.

John

SO very helpful...  
Ted Dillard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 03:45:58 am »

Quote from: teddillard
SO very helpful...  
I don't get what you mean there, Ted, but there's no short cut to learning scripting. I might, for example, tell you to RTFM. But there are two long documents that are written for developers, not humans, and I doubt it's at all helpful to leave you ploughing through hundreds of turgid pages on coding. Instead, choose a simple task that will immediately reward your efforts, like this smart object job, and look at the sample files for some code that does a similar thing. You'll find some open and save scripts. So take one of those, dig back to the reference on opening a file, find the options for smart objects, and hack away.

John

teddillard

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 05:34:48 am »

I don't get what you mean there, Ted, but there's no short cut to learning scripting. I might, for example, tell you to RTFM. But there are two long documents that are written for developers, not humans, and I doubt it's at all helpful to leave you ploughing through hundreds of turgid pages on coding. Instead, choose a simple task that will immediately reward your efforts, like this smart object job, and look at the sample files for some code that does a similar thing. You'll find some open and save scripts. So take one of those, dig back to the reference on opening a file, find the options for smart objects, and hack away.

John

Thanks.  That, in itself, is significantly more helpful.  Maybe you could suggest a program (s) that you use to edit scripts with as well?  I have no experience working with this stuff, although I've hacked a bunch of stuff going back to even DOS...  Taking an Automator script and altering it was exactly how I learned Automator (and it seems I've forgotten as much as I learned...)  

I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this who doesn't have a clue where to even start.  I think the short answer is, no, there's no easy way without scripting skills...

Sorry for the jab, but so many times answers like that feel more like "see what I know (and you don't)", rather than "let's see how we can solve this problem..."  That, and it was a long (but very productive) week.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:36:20 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »

For JS, I use the Extend Script Toolkit, but it's about as appalling as most editing tools aimed for programmers - glorified text editors decorated with mumbo jumbo. For VB, I use Excel - its code editing environment is streets ahead - and then I port the code over to Notepad.

Michael Bailey

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 03:51:56 pm »

I think this can be done with plain old Actions and Batches, entirely in Photoshop. If you're not very familiar with Actions, here are the basics for this one.

On the Actions palette in Photoshop, click the little icon in its upper right corner and select "New Action..." from the scroll-down. Give your action a name if you like. Note that the red "Record" dot at the bottom of the palette is now highlighted, so Photoshop will remember everything you do until you hit the square "Stop" button to its left.

Open Bridge by clicking on the Bridge icon at the top panel in the Photoshop layout. Yes, you've left Photoshop proper, but have faith. All will be well.

Navigate to the relevant folder and double-click on a raw file. When the ACR window opens, click on the blue text at the base of the window to make your preferred resolution, bit-depth, sharpening and profile settings and, most importantly, check on the box to "Open in Photoshop as Smart Objects". Click OK to close that window. Those settings will be the default in ACR until you next change them.

Click "Open Object" in the ACR window. You'll be sent back to Photoshop where a Smart Object now lies, waiting to do your bidding. Notice that while you were in Bridge and ACR, Photoshop paid attention and recorded what you did there. The list of commands in your Action is longer and the Record button is still on.

Don't do anything to the file itself. Just go to   "File" >> "Save As..."  and store your Smart Object as a Tiff or PSD file in a new folder.

Close the file.

Your don't need to record any more steps, so make sure to stop recording by clicking on the "Stop" button at the bottom of the Actions palette.

Okay, your Action is done. It's only four steps long:
  • Browse (that's Photoshop's term for opening Bridge)
  • Open
  • Save
  • Close
Now that your Action is made, you need to apply it as a Batch. Start this by going back to Bridge and highlighting all the files for which you want to run this process. (If you're nervous, just select a couple of less important files to see how things go.)

In Bridge, click on "Tools" in the Menu Bar, then select the category called "Photoshop>>". In that scroll-down choose the first entry, "Batch..." A new window called "Batch" will open.

The Batch window is a little daunting, but take it one bit at a time and you'll do fine. Up at the top under "Play" it asks you which Action you want to run. Most likely the one you just made will already be selected.

Under "Source", select "Bridge." The program knows that you only mean to use the files you'd highlighted.

Next are four check boxes in a row. For now I will only say to check on all but the second one. (And even that one doesn't really matter.)

Next is "Destination:". Select "Folder" and use the "Choose" button to lead to the same place as the "Save As..." you made when you recorded the Action.

Be sure to check on the next box, the one that says, "Override Action 'Save As" Commands". I'll tell you why in a minute.

You might well be able to ignore the rest of the window. The file naming part might be handy for you later, but I'd leave it alone for now.

Under "Errors", it's probably best to select "Stop for Errors" until you get more comfortable with the process.

Click on "OK" and, if you're lucky, you can go get some coffee while Photoshop and Bridge slave away for you.

Okay, a couple of notes. First, running a batch carries the risk of deleting lots of files at high speed. That's what scares many people away from it. Just remember that as long as your Action saves to a folder different than your source files, there's no chance of overwriting anything.

Second, as for the two "Override..." boxes in the Batch window, they're probably the most confusing part of the process. Photoshop provides helpful pop-ups with explanations, but I swear they're more confusing still. Let me see if I can clear things up by stepping back a bit: When you made your action, you told Photoshop what to do with ONE particular raw file and how to save it as ONE particular PSD or Tiff. But when you run the batch, you want to do these steps to lots of files, not necessarily related to the original. So checking the two boxes tells Photoshop, in effect, "I know I told you to open Raw A and save it as Tiff A, but now I want you to perform these same commands on Raws B to Z and save them as Tiffs B to Z.

Finally (I promise), you can pre-edit your raw files so the resulting Smart Objects will look their best. Open up ACR, make your raw files fabulous, then hit "Done". When you run the Batch, it will use the ACR settings you've fixed to each image. It won't apply one setting to all of your pictures.   MB

teddillard

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 06:40:46 am »

good grief.  

How easy is THAT?    

I've got to tell you, I had to go back and try it, because I didn't think it was going to work.  I'd tried Image Processor from Bridge, and it didn't process the files as Smart Objects, regardless of how ACR was set up, and assumed Batch would do the same thing.  

Thanks so much for the advice, and the detailed explanation...  as well as the slap upside the head (which I just gave myself!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:41:31 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

Gupfold

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 11:14:24 am »

As easy as that! thanks very much, you just saved me a heap of time!

Guy
Pages: [1]   Go Up