Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best Portrait Photographer?  (Read 28040 times)

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
The best Portrait Photographer?
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2010, 12:27:06 am »

Mark, must have a lot of fun reading this. ( and I know that he does check LL )
BTW He IS one of the greatest portrait shooters. He created my portrait in just five minutes and it is the best portrait I ever had in my life.
Andre

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2010, 12:42:29 am »

Quote from: AndreNapier
BTW He IS one of the greatest portrait shooters. He created my portrait in just five minutes and it is the best portrait I ever had in my life.
Andre

can you post it?
MY SITE: AL

fredjeang

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:54 am »

Quote from:  Abdulrahman Aljabri
can you post it?
Here it is.
http://www.marktucker.com/2/Artist.asp?Art...p;Akey=MPEGN7AE

fredjeang

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2010, 04:51:35 am »

Andre
Hey Andre, great work too. Like the personal works a lot.

------------------------

But guys, why all the wesite I've been watching so far are using Flash? Specially AS3 ?
I've been in the past a flash guru, when I was a designer so I'm not against it. But when they implemented AS3 I gave up this path.
I mean, using proper html, Andre's or Mark's website will be 10 times faster, stable and with full browsers coverage, IPAD and phones compatible etc...

With the html 5, and what's going on in the next generations, even for videos speaking, I strongly recommend you call your favorite designer and ask him or  her to
redo the website in html with a proper CMS.

Ps: I'm serious about it, there are changes in the air where flash is going to suffer. Taking the train now is better IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:12:21 am by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:01 am »

My post about Flash websites has been writen without many diplomacy; want to ad here that I expressed my idea with all the respect in mind for one's choice and as Klaban said, without intention to offend.

Flash has opened doors and became very fashionable. Maybe too much IMO.
Lots of platforms are using it. But since AS3, it is heavy, unstable and has compatibility problems.

My criticisms where aimed from a user's frustration, when a work is worth the look and you just stuck into the thumbs loadings etc...
I have a very good conection at home, and the experience is sometimes painfull.

When we are talking about high end pro work, it is just frustrating.

On the contrary, just have a look at Klaban's website made with html and compare how fast, immediate it is! What's the most pleasant experience?
Do you have to wait for thumbnails with the little "loader"? Etc...
This is a proof of what I was saying. There are of course many more.
His web site can be view in any platform also.

I can assure you that most of the websites I've been watching so far under flash would run really faster, I mean immediate, with just Html code.

The new mediums like phones, Ipad are telling us also that the Flash supremacy is about to end soon.
I just think that these are serious questions that are worth considering from now.

Regards.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:18:18 am by fredjeang »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2010, 11:07:02 am »

I look forward to being good enough to concentrate on the subject rather than the equipment!

Hasselblad H3D11-50 and 50-110mm zoom, CF adapter, 4 Metz flashes.
Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lens
es

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
Sling that lot out and get a nikon D3 - then you can concentrate on the subject

maybe dont bother with the D3 and get a compact camera

S
I have a Leica Dlux 3, which I am considering replacing with a GF 1,

...I had thought about a D3X... but I could put the money towards a CFV39 for a back-up system (on my ELD, 500 and Flexbody).

...and my business plan is to concentrate on work that you cannot do (well) with a DSLR!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

AndreNapier

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:46 am »

Thanks for kind words.

Please check if this is any better, it is not finished still a lot of work to do but we are working to make it more user friendly.
It is 99% java script.
http://AndreNapierStudio.com
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:22:21 am by AndreNapier »

fredjeang

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2010, 12:37:41 pm »

Thanks for kind words.

Please check if this is any better, it is not finished still a lot of work to do but we are working to make it more user friendly.
It is 99% java script.
Hi Andre.

I guess the 1% flash residual is located in the index.  
It's faster with no doubt, although not immediate as it should be.

Sorry Andre: I'll be direct, but I think that's the best way to be usefull.

The main problem I saw is that the thumbs are not displayed with the required definition, they are blured and you understand that professionaly,
when you are in "fashion" and see the blured thumbnails, it is just not possible. Do not allow that happen in your website. Java is ok BUT sometimes a little amateur issues like the Jquery lightboxes that are used in any wordpress stuff. This is because they are open-sources and it's difficult to fall on a really serious gallery system.
Again, watch Klaban thumbs=  razor sharp. There is no script (that I can recognize) on Klaban website, and that changes A LOT the speed.

I smell also that probably, the pics are directly put into the web with a non-optimized web resolution using a downsampling?? because the time to open a pic is really long.
In fact as long as in the flash version. Thumbs appear faster, but then we are back on the same problem.
Not sure about that but it smells a reduction process very drastic. An AD will give up in 3 minutes because of the slowness.

Then, do not know for sure, but have the feeling also that there is an Ajax platform behind the scene. That is my interpretation but it might not be the case. In fact, to resume, there is an "overdosis" of Script. No matter if the script in question is Action Script or JavaScript, but a script has to be implement with caution. In a presentation? fine. In a gallery=NO (or you need to be a guru). The reason is simply because of speed, compatibility and stability.

IMHO.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:25:32 pm by fredjeang »

AndreNapier

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »

Thank you,
I wish I would understand anything anything that you just said. I am a complete ignorant when it comes to it but I will forward it it to my web master.
Thanks again.
Andre

fredjeang

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2010, 12:52:01 pm »

Thank you,
I wish I would understand anything anything that you just said. I am a complete ignorant when it comes to it but I will forward it it to my web master.
Thanks again.
Andre
 oh oh...hope is friendly with you and does not feel offensed easyly  .
I mean, the thumbs are very important. As the owner of your work, you can't let that happen IMO. This is your image. And the webmaster has to understand it, like it or not.

Look what proper html can do (Klaban kind of platform), and compare with 2 browsers as a user the experience.

Good luck anyway. Hope it will be helpfull for you.

Cheers.

adammork

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Look what proper html can do

my site is completely HTML, with a dash of CSS and Javascript.

/adam

fredjeang

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2010, 02:22:57 pm »

Quote from: adammork
my site is completely HTML, with a dash of CSS and Javascript.

/adam
Really impressed by the quality of your work in arquitecture.
Added in my favorites.

Edit: Ps: hey, big format quality can be seen even downsampled for the web. Now there is no doubt for me about that fact.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:39:20 pm by fredjeang »

BJNY

« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2010, 03:59:35 pm »

Thanks for kind words.

It is 99% java script.

Andre,

Weddings, not weedings (in Packages and Pricing drop-down menu).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:10:06 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

AndreNapier

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »

BJNW
Wow, Thank you very much. That is a big one. I do not know how we missed it having a person hired just for writing and checking the spelling.
It is probably because the misspelling reflects how I feel about shooting weddings.
I took a look at the thumbs and they do look awful. Something had to go wrong because non of us in the studio remember it looking this way before.
The website is in beta stage and we do not promote it yet. Any tips highly appreciated.
Andre

adammork

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2010, 12:09:10 am »

Really impressed by the quality of your work in arquitecture.
Added in my favorites.

Edit: Ps: hey, big format quality can be seen even downsampled for the web. Now there is no doubt for me about that fact.

Thanks!

Be careful!, a few of them are done on Nikon/Canon  

I know I'm guilty, but I do not think we should hijack this thread with too much web design, - it have been a very good one, for the most part, I especially enjoyed the postings from tesfoto and TMARK - Thanks a lot!

/adam

Rob C

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:42 am »

Thank you,
Thanks again.
Andre

I wish I understood anything like that too; in fact, that sort of technical ignorance (mine) is what is constantly getting in my way. I just don't seem to have the sort of mind that either finds it interesting or understandable; I have no idea why some minds really enjoy and grasp it all. Thank God that they do, though!

Before I retired, the last paid people shots were on Kodachrome and the last commerical non-moving subject was on Velvia. I had no fears and, in retrospect, I seem to have been flying by the seat of my pants: I seldom plotted anything ahead and did it mostly on the wing. Perhaps that explains why I believe that, had digital methodology been the norm back in the 50s, I would never have heard of LuLa today. I might even have been a rich old man (next year, next year, still too young to qualify!) doing something else.

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:04 am »

Quote from: adammork
Thanks!

Be careful!, a few of them are done on Nikon/Canon  

I know I'm guilty, but I do not think we should hijack this thread with too much web design, - it have been a very good one, for the most part, I especially enjoyed the postings from tesfoto and TMARK - Thanks a lot!

/adam
I've seen the CanNikons intrusions

You are right. This topic about portrait is great. No more web design. Actually, I've been trying to be helpfull to Andre directly in his mail because that was not the right thread and did not want to inundate the topic with more datas. (web design could be a good section by the way).

Rob C

« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2010, 02:45:23 pm »

I've seen the CanNikons intrusions

You are right. This topic about portrait is great. No more web design. Actually, I've been trying to be helpfull to Andre directly in his mail because that was not the right thread and did not want to inundate the topic with more datas. (web design could be a good section by the way).

Yep, and perhaps only you and Keith will understand any of it!

;-) or, alternatively, ;-(

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up