Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4000 On A MAC  (Read 3404 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:24:50 am »

Hi all, I'm considering replacing my aging PC with an IMAC. Of course, compatability with my existing hardware is a major factor. The Epson website says there is "limited function" with the 4000 on the current Apple OS, I can't find any more info there to pin down any specifics. Would running XP on the MAC make this a moot point?

Thanks, Kevin
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Sven W

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »

Quote from: Kevin Gallagher
Hi all, I'm considering replacing my aging PC with an IMAC. Of course, compatability with my existing hardware is a major factor. The Epson website says there is "limited function" with the 4000 on the current Apple OS, I can't find any more info there to pin down any specifics. Would running XP on the MAC make this a moot point?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,
It's a brand new MacOSX-Intel driver for the 4000, dated April 13 2010.
Version 8.19.
At least on Epson EU-support sites.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Kevin Gallagher

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

Quote from: Sven W
Kevin,
It's a brand new MacOSX-Intel driver for the 4000, dated April 13 2010.
Version 8.19.
At least on Epson EU-support sites.

/Sven

Thanks Sven, it hasn't appeared yet on the US site but I did go to an Apple store in CT and was suitably wowed by the 27" IMAC, I may need a desk stretcher but what the heck  
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Sven W

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:37:37 am »

Thanks Sven, it hasn't appeared yet on the US site but I did go to an Apple store in CT and was suitably wowed by the 27" IMAC, I may need a desk stretcher but what the heck  

You don't have to wait for the US site to wake up. Just download from here:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...kU003D&tc=6

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

PhilRichardson

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:07:52 pm »

/Sven

I spoke with Epson US tech this morning, and they claimed that the European driver wouldn't necessarily work with the US printers, as the motherboard was different, or so they claimed. I had tried the 8.19 driver last week running on a MacIntel/10.6.3, and it didn't work with Aperture 3, as it cut off the image on the right hand side in landscape mode. So I'm still stuck with printing thru Ap3 under 10.5.8. Hope this helps.

Farmer

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:59 pm »

Quote from: PhilRichardson
I spoke with Epson US tech this morning, and they claimed that the European driver wouldn't necessarily work with the US printers, as the motherboard was different, or so they claimed. I had tried the 8.19 driver last week running on a MacIntel/10.6.3, and it didn't work with Aperture 3, as it cut off the image on the right hand side in landscape mode. So I'm still stuck with printing thru Ap3 under 10.5.8. Hope this helps.

There's no difference in the main boards.  There might be differences in the firmware that's been released into different markets, but there's no real reason the driver won't work.
Phil Brown

PhilRichardson

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:34 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
There's no difference in the main boards.  There might be differences in the firmware that's been released into different markets, but there's no real reason the driver won't work.

Well, I've tried 3 different installs with this driver, and it's always the same problem with the right hand margin in landscape mode. If someone has gotten it to work with Aperture 3/OS 10.6.3, I hope they'll explain how. TIA.

Farmer

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:06:50 am »

Well, I've tried 3 different installs with this driver, and it's always the same problem with the right hand margin in landscape mode. If someone has gotten it to work with Aperture 3/OS 10.6.3, I hope they'll explain how. TIA.

Try printing with something other than Aperture.  That way, if the problem still exists you know it's not Aperture (or a compatability issue), if it goes away then it is Aperture.  It'll help you narrow down where the problem lies.

Also, how much is being cut off, what driver settings are you using, paper sizes, image size, etc etc.
Phil Brown

PhilRichardson

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »

Try printing with something other than Aperture.  That way, if the problem still exists you know it's not Aperture (or a compatability issue), if it goes away then it is Aperture.  It'll help you narrow down where the problem lies.

Also, how much is being cut off, what driver settings are you using, paper sizes, image size, etc etc.

Thanks for your input, as it pushed me to do some more testing.

It appears the problem lies within Aperture 3, as Preview prints fine. Previously, I'd been printing with Aperture's preset "standard" option, which left a minimum white border of about 1/4" on the left, but cropped the image about 3/8" on the right, thus leaving a white border of approximately 5/8" on the right. By increasing the border size equally to about 3/4" equally on each side, the problem disappears, and I'm able to obtain the full image. I was testing this on Epson's Premium Semigloss 250 letter size, using Aperture's "standard" letter size setting, which may be the problem. I need to see if this problem exists with other "preset" paper sizes within Aperture. Interestingly, when selecting the standard letter size in Preview the border size ends up being 9/16".

Otherwise the driver seems to work quite well, as the "too dark" problem seems to have been resolved.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:57:30 pm by PhilRichardson »

Farmer

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 06:51:07 pm »

Thanks for your input, as it pushed me to do some more testing.

It appears the problem lies within Aperture 3, as Preview prints fine. Previously, I'd been printing with Aperture's preset "standard" option, which left a minimum white border of about 1/4" on the left, but cropped the image about 3/8" on the right, thus leaving a white border of approximately 5/8" on the right. By increasing the border size equally to about 3/4" equally on each side, the problem disappears, and I'm able to obtain the full image. I was testing this on Epson's Premium Semigloss 250 letter size, using Aperture's "standard" letter size setting, which may be the problem. I need to see if this problem exists with other "preset" paper sizes within Aperture. Interestingly, when selecting the standard letter size in Preview the border size ends up being 9/16".

Otherwise the driver seems to work quite well, as the "too dark" problem seems to have been resolved.

Good news - glad to hear that it's working now for you :-)

You may want to give some feedback to Apple about the issue - it may be a bug or it may just need some documentation to clarify the use of some settings.
Phil Brown

Kevin Gallagher

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:21:11 pm »

Good news - glad to hear that it's working now for you :-)

You may want to give some feedback to Apple about the issue - it may be a bug or it may just need some documentation to clarify the use of some settings.

Well guys, I went a bought the MAC. IMAC 27" I7 chip etc. Still fumbling around with the menus and such but having fun!!!
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Kevin Gallagher

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 05:27:46 am »

/Sven

Hi Sven, sorry for the very late reply. I've downloaded the driver from the link you provided but I'm not sure what the next step should be, I've not as yet attempted to install the 4000 to the mac here. What is the next step?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Sven W

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »

Hi Sven, sorry for the very late reply. I've downloaded the driver from the link you provided but I'm not sure what the next step should be, I've not as yet attempted to install the 4000 to the mac here. What is the next step?

Thanks, Kevin

I'm not sure if I follow you now.....
What's your attemp with the printer?
The "next step" is simple, I suppose. Just install the driver, plug in the printer, find it and choose it in the "Printer&Fax" and then you go !!!

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Kevin Gallagher

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:13:28 pm »

I'm not sure if I follow you now.....
What's your attemp with the printer?
The "next step" is simple, I suppose. Just install the driver, plug in the printer, find it and choose it in the "Printer&Fax" and then you go !!!

/Sven

Hi Sven, the printer installed fine,but it's totally unresponsive when trying to print test pages, and doesn't show the ink levlels. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Sven W

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 04:57:07 pm »

Hi Sven, the printer installed fine,but it's totally unresponsive when trying to print test pages, and doesn't show the ink levlels. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin

Checklist:
Printer connected via usb?
Printdriver installed?
Have you choosed the right printer in "Printer&Fax"?
Can you see or test anything with Epson Printer Utility?
What application are you trying to print from?
Can you find your printer there?

It can be twenty more questions.....

As you maybe understand, this is something that is quite easy when you have your "hands on".
And I'm at "the other end of the pond", so my suggestion is to ask or hire someone with Mac experience to help you.

Sorry Kevin

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Kevin Gallagher

Epson 4000 On A MAC
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 05:39:25 pm »

Checklist:
Printer connected via usb?
Printdriver installed?
Have you choosed the right printer in "Printer&Fax"?
Can you see or test anything with Epson Printer Utility?
What application are you trying to print from?
Can you find your printer there?

It can be twenty more questions.....

As you maybe understand, this is something that is quite easy when you have your "hands on".
And I'm at "the other end of the pond", so my suggestion is to ask or hire someone with Mac experience to help you.

Sorry Kevin

/Sven

In answer to your questions:

Yes, Yes, Yes, No, Several, Yes

Thanks anyway, so sorry to have troubled you.

Kevin In CT
 George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up