Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling All Digital Techs  (Read 36781 times)

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Calling All Digital Techs
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:17 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Can I get a full version of Capture One for free?  I didn't know that.

You also get C1 "DB" for any Phase back for free, all you need is a serial number.  It has full functionality for the back, just does not include raw support for all the other cameras...  Of course after you use that for a day with your Phase back, you'll want it for all your other cameras too!
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:32 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
You also get C1 "DB" for any Phase back for free, all you need is a serial number.  It has full functionality for the back, just does not include raw support for all the other cameras...  Of course after you use that for a day with your Phase back, you'll want it for all your other cameras too!

Actually, you don't even need a serial number to run it in DB mode   ...it'll have full functionality with any Phase back and with Leaf Aptus-II and AFi-II backs
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 11:34:26 am »

I think my point was, that regardless of wether you own / do not own a Hasselblad product, you can download Phocus (an unlimited, released version, not a trial).

Makes it very easy to evaluate Phocus / Hasselblad files and populate it over as many systems as you like.

Also Phocus allows you to update the firmware on your Digital back and camera body, without the need to visit a service centre.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

tho_mas

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2010, 03:58:55 pm »

I think my point was, that regardless of wether you own / do not own a Hasselblad product, you can download Phocus (an unlimited, released version, not a trial).
Makes it very easy to evaluate Phocus / Hasselblad files and populate it over as many systems as you like.
as Yair said: it's the same with Capture One.
Only if you want to develop files of non-Phase or non-Leaf cameras you need a serial number.

Actually "gwhitf" was asking about tethered capture/preview speed but since we are already off topic... on my machine (tower) Phocus is noticable slower in almost all aspects with respect to editing (H40 files compared to P45 files). Zooming is slow, adjustments redraw with lag, processing takes much longer. Overall responsiveness of the software is more sluggish.
With regard to speed I think a customizable keyboard also heps a lot...

tesfoto

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2010, 04:13:54 pm »

Also Phocus allows you to update the firmware on your Digital back and camera body, without the need to visit a service centre.

Great, can I develop my Canon files in Phocus ?

arashm

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2010, 08:44:39 pm »

Quote from: tesfoto
Great, can I develop my Canon files in Phocus ?

apparently that's in the works already....

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:10 pm »

Hi

having used C1Pro with both Nikon and Canon I rate it very highly - it works and produces a particular filmic look that fits with my photography and how I see things.  I would really like it if Phase One and Hasselblad (and all their users) stopped having hissy fits at each other and enabled each others software to recognise each others files - some hope  .  

I now use Hasselblad exclusively and at the moment that means using Phocus but I have hopes that the new versions of Lightroom and Camera Raw 6.1 may give me a little more latitude.  In the real world it is the investment in glass which binds a photographer to a brand and given the very high quality of images produced by all three (or is it 4 soon to be 5) MF brands no photographer should feel let down by his equipment.  The rendering of a raw file by an individual package is to some degree a question of taste. Ideally at present I would prefer to use my Hasselblad equipment and render in C1Pro.  The cameras and lenses are well designed and are well integrated - the system works every day flawlessly but I have to do more work in Phocus and Photoshop to do what C1Pro seems to be able to do out of the box.

I have tried to use Aperture and Lightroom but they don't really do the job at present - maybe the new versions will render all of this argument redundant by simply doing what C1Pro and Phocus do without the internecine squabbles.

For what it is worth I think that, as a business, Hasselblad made exactly the right decision to close their system.  If they hadn't done that it would be a Phase One world by now to the detriment of us all.

david
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:20:57 pm by David Watson »
David Watson ARPS

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »

Quote from: David Watson
having used C1Pro with both Nikon and Canon I rate it very highly - it works and produces a particular filmic look that fits with my photography and how I see things.  I would really like it if Phase One and Hasselblad (and all their users) stopped having hissy fits at each other and enabled each others software to recognise each others files - some hope . [...] I have to do more work in Phocus and Photoshop to do what C1Pro seems to be able to do out of the box.

Phase and C1 have always had a very open approach so I can't relate to the "hissy fits" comment. You can both import and export DNGs in Capture One and lens corrections are provided for phase one and leaf files from a variety of manufacturers (not just the Phase One brand of lenses, but Contax, classic Hasslelbad, and Hasslelbald H lenses). You can use any ICC profile as your starting point (allowing profiling from any device that creates an ICC profile or the direct use of manufacturer or 3rd party provided profiles). You can tether to Leaf, Phase One, Mamiya, Canon, and Nikon directly, or to any other supported camera (e.g. Sony, Olympus, Leica etc) using the Hot Folder functionality. You can run apple-scripts from directly within Capture One for huge flexibility and if you have VERY specific needs (and the knowledge/budget/time) you can get the Developer SDK from Phase One (mainly meant for specialty applications like aerial capture) for full access to the underlying math, routines, and processes of Capture One. Phase One and Leaf are also is very open with their raw file format and encourages anyone and everyone to support it. I won't even get into the openness of the hardware platform because we're already off topic. But the point is Phase One has a very open approach with Capture One and the Phase One and Leaf file types.

So if you wish convert your Hasselblad files into DNG and use Capture One you can! :-)

Quote from: David Watson
I have tried to use Aperture and Lightroom but they don't really do the job at present - maybe the new versions will render all of this argument redundant by simply doing what C1Pro and Phocus do without the internecine squabbles.

The next version of Aperture is already released and the next version of LR is in mid-beta stage. Both are improvements on their previous generations. I REALLY like Aperture 3. But if you, like me, find the conversions in C1 to have been superior than Aperture 2 and LR2 I don't think the next version will do much to change your mind. Which is not to say that they aren't awesome programs; in fact I use Aperture for all my cataloging/archiving of my final 16 bit tiffs. But I stopped using it for even basic processing of raws the day I ran tests of a few dozen raw files from various cameras I've owned, begged, borrowed, stolen, or used as part of this job through both Aperture (version 2 at the time) and C1 (version 4.1 at the time). My personal testing of Aperture 3 showed they've done a good job of improving the math, but it's not there yet, and lacks the high-end professional features I need like a true ICC-profile editor. Apple is unlikely to sell significantly more copies of Aperture in their target demographic if they increase the resolved detail versus noise in hard shadow areas and make their shadow gradations smoother and more film-like. The will however sell more copies because they've added the option to order leather-bound craft-wedding-albums directly within the program. Different target demographics mean a LOT about how you prioritize development, resources, and which direction you go when you have to compromise.

In my opinion and experience with Phase, Leaf, Leica, Canon, Nikon, and Olympus files C1 is literally years ahead of both Adobe and Apple in terms of pure processing quality and I would argue they are significantly ahead on pure workflow speed (assuming you are an expert-level user of each). And they aren't stopping - the next major version of C1* is going to blow minds. The new platform which took so long to get refined (see versions 4.0.0 to version 4.6) is providing an excellent development platform for some really passionate, experienced, and top-notch engineers and math wizards to push the limits of what you think a Raw Processor can pull from your files.

In other words, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Hmmm I better shut up - I sound like a real shill. But I'm passionate about Capture One.

*Don't worry version owners of version 5 will get their money's worth for sure (updates, expanded features, refinement). That's not to say they aren't in the early stages of working on the new killer features of the next version already ;-). And of course it's full power will be available free to any Phase One user without any registration, license, or other restriction and will be do a stellar job with files from all the major dSLR and point and shoot cameras with aggressive.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:40:14 pm by dougpetersonci »

CBarrett

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »

Well... I'm always up for software upgrades, but I don't want to see a P90+ anytime soon.  The last thing I need is a new digital back to start drooling over.  Yes... a new back, with more pixels, maybe a half stop more DR and even better High ISO performance.  Yep.

Uh... Is there one?  Is there?!!!  When can I have it?!!!!!

-Junkie

The justifications are forming... the P65+ has paid for itself, it's always good to have a backup back.... I could print the personal work EVEN BIGGER MWAH HA HA HA HA HAH!!!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:04:18 pm by CBarrett »

bcooter

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 01:15:03 am »

Jez fellas, buy what makes you happy, cause all this stuff is pretty good.

Ol' CB he likes his big pixels and hair/air  flash and seems to be happy, (though CB word to the wise, you may have gotten into this gig for the gizmos, but you should give me a call cause I can give you a pretty strong list of better reasons to do this job, though I can't state it in public).

Anyway, don't worry bout' the costs of a camera cause these electronic boxes will go out of date, eventually lose all their equity and that is the one thing that holds true for Phase, Leaf,  Blad, Canon, Nikon, Casio   . . . all of them.

The only thing that holds price are matthews and American C-stands and Red Headed Moles.  Those things seem to go on forever.

If your shooting for fun, buy the camera you like  and enjoy it and remember none of them are perfect  . . . in fact they all have issues regardless of the multiple sales messages that go on here, so don't think your gonna walk away trouble free.

Just be prepared to learn the workarounds and buy a heavy tripod.

If your shooting for money then buy the one that lets you do you job and hopefully bill it out to make some cash but remember some of the best photographers walking this earth don't own the latest and greatest an probably never will.

Those guys put there money in pre and post production.

These guys shoot what works and work from the heart.  The only thing they don't want a camera to do is stop them.

So my suggestion, buy it if it makes you happy, use it till the paint falls off.

IMO

BC

fredjeang

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2010, 03:38:09 am »

I think that it's made such a way that it's "exciting" to upgrade constantly to the latest (and that happen very often  ). But it's bondage.

BC just pointed that the place where we put money and efforts matters. IMHO that's the clew.

Take into account in the calculations how much waisted time (and money) in the latest that could and "should" have been
used in the pictures itself? Without mentioning headaches etc...

Just got the (cheap) Contax 645. It's fun! Slow, and get things in focus not easy but I don't do it too bad because I've always use manual focus 90%.
But what this camera does is that it makes me forget the gear, and that, in our bondage tech world, it is pure delight.
This Contax makes you feel free, fresh and good.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2010, 05:21:19 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Phase and C1 have always had a very open approach so I can't relate to the "hissy fits" comment. You can both import and export DNGs in Capture One and lens corrections are provided for phase one and leaf files from a variety of manufacturers (not just the Phase One brand of lenses, but Contax, classic Hasslelbad, and Hasslelbald H lenses). You can use any ICC profile as your starting point (allowing profiling from any device that creates an ICC profile or the direct use of manufacturer or 3rd party provided profiles). You can tether to Leaf, Phase One, Mamiya, Canon, and Nikon directly, or to any other supported camera (e.g. Sony, Olympus, Leica etc) using the Hot Folder functionality. You can run apple-scripts from directly within Capture One for huge flexibility and if you have VERY specific needs (and the knowledge/budget/time) you can get the Developer SDK from Phase One (mainly meant for specialty applications like aerial capture) for full access to the underlying math, routines, and processes of Capture One. Phase One and Leaf are also is very open with their raw file format and encourages anyone and everyone to support it. I won't even get into the openness of the hardware platform because we're already off topic. But the point is Phase One has a very open approach with Capture One and the Phase One and Leaf file types.

So if you wish convert your Hasselblad files into DNG and use Capture One you can! :-)

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Thank you Doug for that very clear and informative message about C1Pro.

Perhaps I should use the word "spin" rather than the words "hissy fit".  Whilst in no way denigrating C1Pro -  it (or at least my latest version of C1 Pro) is a really fine product - it does not recognise DNG files exported from Phocus.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong but I am blessed if I know what.

Furthermore DNG files exported from Phocus do not have the  lens specific automatic corrections built in to them which is a shame. I know that C1Pro can replicate some (or all) of these but first of all I have to get C1Pro to read the files.

It is a tortuous process - here's how it goes.

Record Hasselblad 3FR files on a CF card.
Import Hasselblad files files in FFF format
Export Hasselbald files to DNG
Import DNG to C1Pro (if it can!)

How much simpler would it be if C1Pro recognised the 3FR format and enabled direct import.  If Lightroom and Aperture can manage this why not C1Pro?

My only thought as to why is back to the "battle?" between Hasselblad and Phase One - and the reluctance of either party to acknowledge the other other than as a direct competitor.
David Watson ARPS

fredjeang

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2010, 07:31:30 am »

How would you resume the basic differences between C1 and Phocus ?
(I read the previous posts)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:44:43 am by fredjeang »

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2010, 07:53:20 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
I think that it's made such a way that it's "exciting" to upgrade constantly to the latest (and that happen very often  ). But it's bondage.

BC just pointed that the place where we put money and efforts matters. IMHO that's the clew.

Take into account in the calculations how much waisted time (and money) in the latest that could and "should" have been
used in the pictures itself? Without mentioning headaches etc...

Just got the (cheap) Contax 645. It's fun! Slow, and get things in focus not easy but I don't do it too bad because I've always use manual focus 90%.
But what this camera does is that it makes me forget the gear, and that, in our bondage tech world, it is pure delight.
This Contax makes you feel free, fresh and good.

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is not always worth the time and money totally agree. But some upgrades actually are worth it in money and functionality. I know I thought about the P30+ to P40+ for 3 months and tested it 3 times before I did and I also questioned myself in the same process. Seems like on paper at least not such a big movement for the money but turns out it added a lot for me and also eliminated another system like a 35mm that Sensor Plus replaced that need. So in the end at least for myself it worked out on several fronts. But totally agree some upgrades maybe not worth doing. For me at least it has to add real value not just a new trick. Than took the extra money saved and put towards a Epson 7900 printer than buying a complete 35mm system which would have been 15 k by the time I was done. Now if I really need a 35mm cam than rentals are right down the road.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

fredjeang

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2010, 11:00:58 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is not always worth the time and money totally agree. But some upgrades actually are worth it in money and functionality. I know I thought about the P30+ to P40+ for 3 months and tested it 3 times before I did and I also questioned myself in the same process. Seems like on paper at least not such a big movement for the money but turns out it added a lot for me and also eliminated another system like a 35mm that Sensor Plus replaced that need. So in the end at least for myself it worked out on several fronts. But totally agree some upgrades maybe not worth doing. For me at least it has to add real value not just a new trick. Than took the extra money saved and put towards a Epson 7900 printer than buying a complete 35mm system which would have been 15 k by the time I was done. Now if I really need a 35mm cam than rentals are right down the road.
Yes,
I know it might sounds dejà vu but when I was student in fine arts, it was still film age. In fact just before digital came into the scene. We had some Mamiyas for the one who wanted to work with photography. Next to the School was the prestigious Arles international photo school. Their gears where basically Leica M, Hassy and Pentaxes. I don't remember in these times all this constant crazyness with upgrades,  obsolete gears as soon as you buy them etc...

I don't think I'm looking with nostalgy to the past, but indeed our times are really crazy. It's like the world has taken too much cocaine, super speeding everything. Out of fashion in a whisper, constant changes, more pressure, less fun, less money...more hassles, divorces because all that time spent in color profiles in front of a monitor and the answers to the unending attacks of 35mm squadron vs MFD's instead of enjoying life outside with the girlfriend or whife, driving negligently the convertible without door (or with the broken door) at the correct speed limit with a drink in one hand, cigarette, and shooting from time to time when required and not 2000 frames per day. Delegate most of the shooting to somebody you trust and get less pressure.

But now we simply can't smoke (won't go to California just for that stupid law) , can't drink, can't f...k but yes consume to the overdose any new exciting toy.

Tech is exciting, necessary, but it can also be slavery.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:50:12 am by fredjeang »

gwhitf

« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »

Does any know for sure whether tethered Phocus or tethered CaptureOne would run faster, (quicker to build previews), if the MacBookPro was running an SSD drive, over a "regular" hard drive? Of course, the SSD is faster, but does it specifically benefit either of these two tethered softwares?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2010, 02:46:36 pm »

I have been told it does. Seeing on the activity monitor on my MBP that the write speed after captures is often maxed out (around 30Mb/s) I think a SSD with a write speed almost tenfold of that will make a big difference. The SSD is on my list before the season starts again (end of July). Just not sure whether I will be putting it into a new MBP15" (i7) but probably I will.

I will get back to you by then  

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2010, 04:14:07 pm »

Just installed a new OWC Extreme 200gb in the new 15inch  I7 core MBP. Will try C1 with P40+ in a couple hours but YES SSD are faster at reading data the bottleneck will always be Firewire 800. But old box 2 to 3 seconds to full preview in C1 with a P40+. This is a much faster machine but not sure i will gain any speed in tethered . Certainly gained about 33 percent in processing though and that makes me a freaking happy camper. I only use a laptop since I travel a great deal but in office hooked up to a 30 inch NEC. So speed is extremely important for me. Phocus I can't answer never tried it.

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2010, 08:31:43 am »

Okay DF P40+ plus C1 tethered with MBP 15 inch 2.66 8gb of ram I7 core, OWC 200gb Extreme SSD . Doing the one thousand count full res files exactly 2 seconds or slightly less. Okay putting cam on continuous shooting about 25 shots never hit the buffer .Now the cam is faster than the two second per image processing speed so when finger let off it still had 8 in the cue to come in. You find better let me know. This is better than any cam i shot tethered that I can recall.

You wanna go extremely fast in sensor plus mode ( 10 mpx on P40+) processing time is almost instant for full preview. It is 1.5 seconds or faster for full preview and no buffer shooting at that rate. End of test

I shot fashion for years when I was a much younger man and i never went faster than this shooting. You want 5 fps than shoot a Canon but you won't find a tethered program that goes at that speed not with current Firewire technology or USB. That is the bottleneck. This laptop is a little faster than the older unit tethered but again it's the limit of Firewire and data being pushed. I could maybe go slightly faster in full resolution using S mode which compresses the raw file more. Obviously the more data going threw the wire will slow it down regardless of system.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:04:54 am by Guy Mancuso »

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:36 am »

One of the most useful tools for me in Phocus is focus checking in live video mode. Does C1 have the same type of tool with a instantly updated line graph?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up