Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple's iWeb for publishing videos  (Read 2947 times)

Chris L

Apple's iWeb for publishing videos
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:42:59 pm »

I am using iWeb to publish a website for my motion clips. the clips look fine when i import them into iWeb but when I view the site online they look terrible. I am familiar with what happens to my still shots once they go online ( the sRGB web color space seems to add a bit of green and desaturate ) but this is way worse than that. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this just how it is? I am publishing the site to my Mobile Me account and then it posts the site online.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:43:26 pm »

I have found that some web-hosted videos look appalling in anything other than Safari - which is the only web browser I know of that supports ColorSync

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:27:30 am »

Quote from: John-S
I am moving to Snow leopard very soon to see how much better things are for Quicktime, Final Cut output and consistent gamma, color and contrast. Right now I even see a difference between Magic Bullet Looks filter app and the canvas window in Final Cut. They should be the same but aren't. It's making it difficult for now to create styled looks as I am accustomed in Lightroom and expect the image to match across the board.

I'm glad it's not just me! Somehow I expected colour management in video apps to be at least as advanced as in stills apps- no such luck. My primary distribution channel is online, and I will see radically different renditions in Magic Bullet Looks, FCP viewer, Quicktime previewing the ProRes422HQ master on my Mac, Quicktime previewing the same master on my PC, the encode preview window of Procoder, the WMV output played in Windows Media Player (which sadly is how 75% of my customers are probably viewing it) and the H.264 720p output played in Quicktime player.

It is a real mess- we're talking about apparent differences equal to a stop in exposure, not just subtle differences in rendition of colours.

Obviously high-end production houses with their highly paid colourists must have some sort of colour managed workflow. I wonder why it hasn't filtered down to consumer web video yet? It needs to.

Cheers, Hywel.

Pages: [1]   Go Up