Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality Compact  (Read 22218 times)

Dick Roadnight

Re: Quality Compact
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2011, 06:18:56 am »

I think I am now about to buy Panasonic Lumix:
GF2, 20mm f1.7 and 14-42
GH2, 14-140mm

This combination give me:

compact with interchangeable lenses
reasonable video (web site)
excellent low-light performance
the ability to use my Nikon mount lenses (including the Novoflex 400 and 640mm, and Micro-Nikkor 200 IF)
The ability to use my existing 4 Metz flash guns in TTL mode. (scouting shots for MF)
Ability to use with studio flash -e.g. set-up shots.

Is there anything else on the market (short of an M9)?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

robert zimmerman

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 05:29:58 pm »

For little cameras i've gone back to film – the best idea of my life. Everytime i pick up the scanned film with layout prints I imagine myself sitting at the computer and downloading the lifeless images that always look too sharp, too flat and too clean and applying curves, adding grain and trying to get it to look like the film i just picked up from the lab.

For me, digital is work, film is play. When I hold a FM3a in my hands I feel like Helmut Newton Jr.
I just bought a black Contax G2 with three lenses, cost me about as much as a Leica lens hood – I'm gonna freak some art director out one day and do one of those David Bailey, balls of steel, things and just shoot one roll of film with the Contax and toss him the film and say "done" - then I'm gonna pull out a Bolex and scream at the client to get off my set.

I know I wont, but I think that's the reason I started taking pictures – those cool cameras. Imagine the guy in the film "Blow Up" on top of the model with digital camera chained to a compter with a firewire cable, all tangled up and five clients watching the monitor shaking their heads in disagreement.
Or in the park with a little digi cam, trying to see the LCD screen at arms distance while taking that picture... and going back to his studio and opening up "files" and zooming in to 200% on a "computer", instead of that mojo, magic dark room scene.

Face detection!
Dennis Hopper would NEVER have made the photos he made with a digicam. After opening the first "file" he would have picked up his maschine gun and used that ugly plastic button cam for target practice.

But I digress, the little Yaschika is a great little pocket camera.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »

For little cameras i've gone back to film
I think it can be frustrating trying to get a decent image out of a compact camera file after using a quality MF camera - I liked the Rollie 35 I had in the 1970s!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up