Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping the eruption  (Read 2943 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Stopping the eruption
« on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:13 am »

To help get air traffic going again I suggest we revive the practice of deifying a human being by dropping them in the crater. Our hero would need to be the right shape to act as an effective plug, and willing to undergo the indignity of wearing a loud shirt to aid in effective remote placement. And they would have to be a veritable rotweiler of a character, who wouldn't let no stinkin' 4 million tons of ash get past them. Alas, off the top of my head, I can't think of any obvious candidate.....

stamper

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01:08 am »

Quote from: David Sutton
To help get air traffic going again I suggest we revive the practice of deifying a human being by dropping them in the crater. Our hero would need to be the right shape to act as an effective plug, and willing to undergo the indignity of wearing a loud shirt to aid in effective remote placement. And they would have to be a veritable rotweiler of a character, who wouldn't let no stinkin' 4 million tons of ash get past them. Alas, off the top of my head, I can't think of any obvious candidate.....

Would it be possible for the person to be dropped along with a motorbike and an Adobe logo on the shirt.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Stopping the eruption
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:06:14 am »

Quote from: stamper
Would it be possible for the person to be dropped along with a motorbike and an Adobe logo on the shirt.

It's obvious that you guys are thinking of me, but I must decline the honor as I haven't owned a motorbike in close to fifty years, and I have no shirts with Adobe logos.

I was thinking of asking a friend, who seems to fit some of the required characteristics, but his shirts are all loud Hawaiian shirts with no Adobe logos either. 

So maybe you or David will volunteer?   

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DarkPenguin

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:51:33 am »

I understand the difficulties in finding virgins these days.  But this is no solution.  Try the Mankato State Comp Sci department.  You should find plenty there.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Stopping the eruption
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:18:37 pm »

Rush Limbaugh? Right size & shape, & the earth will be a better place with him inside it rather than walking around on it

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Stopping the eruption
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:39:15 pm »

Michael Moore would make a much more secure plug than Rush.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Stopping the eruption
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
Rush Limbaugh? Right size & shape, & the earth will be a better place with him inside it rather than walking around on it
Just wandering how long before the earth spits him out?

Theresa

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 03:43:59 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Michael Moore would make a much more secure plug than Rush.

Why plug a hole with someone worthwhile, Michael Moore, when you can use a fascist, homophobic, blight on the face of the earth, like Rush.

Rob C

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I understand the difficulties in finding virgins these days.  But this is no solution.  Try the Mankato State Comp Sci department.  You should find plenty there.

I didn't know you would find virgins there, but being a science department, I guess it figures; in the good old days when I bought Playboy it was made clear that many beautiful American virgins were to be found in the several universities that provided so many delightful centrefolds. UCLA seemed to have a remarkable supply. Oh well, those were the days. Probably part of the Golden Age, too.

Rob C

Rob C

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »

Quote from: Theresa
Why plug a hole with someone worthwhile, Michael Moore, when you can use a fascist, homophobic, blight on the face of the earth, like Rush.

So what's wrong with a little light fascism? Do you really really want to share everything? Rushing to judgement like that is as much an indictment of the judge as anyone else.

Lighten up, babe, it's a big big world full of all sorts of cats with equal rights to the cream. (But not to mine.)

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Stopping the eruption
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 04:06:12 pm »

Quote from: Theresa

Theresa, Frankly because Moore wouldn't even need to jump in. He could fill the hole with BS in no time at all.

I suspect it may be time to shut this one down before it gets out of hand.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:07:24 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

tokengirl

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »

Some funny stuff right here in this thread alright.  

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Stopping the eruption
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 05:17:29 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
It's obvious that you guys are thinking of me, but I must decline the honor as I haven't owned a motorbike in close to fifty years, and I have no shirts with Adobe logos.

I was thinking of asking a friend, who seems to fit some of the required characteristics, but his shirts are all loud Hawaiian shirts with no Adobe logos either. 

Eric
Not sure I have the personality to become a volcano deity.   And I don't have a motorbike, though that should hardly be a prerequisite. However I do have a 1940s Rudge Whitworth bicycle, I which I suspect would take more than a mountain to stop it once it gets going. Especially if I put a brass Adobe logo on it. A chap would be unstoppable with that combination.

stamper

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:53:56 am »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes

Eric

Sorry, stepping up to the plate and accepting the starring role in this thread was delusional? I know that there are a lot of motorbike owners out there but I was thinking about a motorbike owner who goes out of his way to be explosive. Perhaps the two won't mix and the toxic partnership wouldn't be made in heaven never mind on earth. Perhaps the original poster will now state who it was that he had in mind?

Dick Roadnight

Stopping the eruption
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:30 pm »

Quote from: David Sutton
You could ask Margaret Thatcher or Gordon Brown.

...or just use a large Neutral Density filter?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Stopping the eruption
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 08:50:45 pm »

...or just use a large Neutral Density filter?

the Big Stopper.

I just added one of these to my kit - never thought it could be used for plugging a volcano
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up