Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Packs  (Read 16841 times)

gwhitf

Profoto Packs
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 05:03:33 pm »

I cannot believe I'm quoting something from The Strobist, but here ya go:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/04/pocke...-get-major.html

Ed Taylor

Profoto Packs
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:55 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
I cannot believe I'm quoting something from The Strobist, but here ya go:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/04/pocke...-get-major.html

Oh my, I think that's the "Seventh Sign"...

;-)

jk
Best Regards,

Ed Taylor
www.edtaylorphoto.com

gwhitf

Profoto Packs
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »

Quote from: Yelhsa
http://www.paramountcords.com/pwa.asp

Now that's an improvement. Strangely, I was driving down the road today, and I envisioned something like that, with a Cold Shoe and a short cable. Why I was driving and thinking about PocketWizards, I have no idea, and no justification for it.

BJNY

Profoto Packs
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:33 pm »

Quote from: Yelhsa
http://www.paramountcords.com/pwa.asp

Does anyone know what power pack is next to the Speedotron head?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:33:41 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

K.C.

Profoto Packs
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2010, 03:03:57 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
Man, I just noticed that PF has reduced D4's 20% for remaining inventory.  D5 Air's imminent?

Undoubtedly. They can't have their most sophisticated and versatile studio pack lacking their latest technology.

K.C.

Profoto Packs
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 09:34:25 pm »

I just bought 2 of the D1 Air 500s and the Air remote. I know I'll enjoy not having to drop a light stand back down 10' to change settings.

I'll be interested to see how CB likes the D4 because I think the D5 Air is just around the corner.

JonathanBenoit

Profoto Packs
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2010, 07:05:50 am »

Quote from: K.C.
I just bought 2 of the D1 Air 500s and the Air remote. I know I'll enjoy not having to drop a light stand back down 10' to change settings.

I'll be interested to see how CB likes the D4 because I think the D5 Air is just around the corner.

I just saw a kit sell on ebay. I wonder if you were the winner. Someone got a great deal.

I heard through a dealer that the 250 and 500s cant be controlled by the usb computer software. Only the 1000's can. Is this correct? It doesn't really make sense to me why they would only include the technology on the 1000s.
Can anyone comment on this?

CBarrett

Profoto Packs
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2010, 08:49:15 am »

On their site it says the software can control "D1 Airs with a USB Air Remote"  nothing exclusive to the 1000's mentioned.  I however, cannot get that software to even launch (though I don't have the USB transmitter).  Has anyone actually used it?

And yeah, I really liked the D4 but do plan to wait for an Air equipped pack.  The weight is kind of a drag, compared to Acutes, but, Man, the control you have!  Nice.

-CB

JonathanBenoit

Profoto Packs
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2010, 09:25:26 am »

On their site it says the software can control "D1 Airs with a USB Air Remote"  nothing exclusive to the 1000's mentioned.  I however, cannot get that software to even launch (though I don't have the USB transmitter).  Has anyone actually used it?

And yeah, I really liked the D4 but do plan to wait for an Air equipped pack.  The weight is kind of a drag, compared to Acutes, but, Man, the control you have!  Nice.

-CB

more control than six d1 air 1000s?

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Profoto Packs
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 09:50:37 am »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit
I just saw a kit sell on ebay. I wonder if you were the winner. Someone got a great deal.

I heard through a dealer that the 250 and 500s cant be controlled by the usb computer software. Only the 1000's can. Is this correct? It doesn't really make sense to me why they would only include the technology on the 1000s.
Can anyone comment on this?

The USB Air will work with the Pro8 and any D1 Heads with built-in Air capability.

It does not work with the D4, as a result (no built-in Air, currently) or Acutes (same).

The D4 can work with the USB Controller Software, but it has to be hard wired from the pack to the computer. And with multiple packs, this might not be desirable, or at least of limited application.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

CBarrett

Profoto Packs
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 10:05:28 am »

Ahh... It looks like there is additional system software (or framework software) you have to install for the App to launch.  Playing with it now in simulation mode... pretty cool stuff.  Just ordered the USB Remote from B&H and will try wiring it to the D4 the next time I rent that.

Maybe I actually need the exercise of walking over to the Pack to dial that head down 20%, but hey I got into photography for the GADGETS!

K.C.

Profoto Packs
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2010, 12:59:26 am »

CBarrett

Profoto Packs
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:12 am »

Oh Man..... !  I dig this.  I really dig this!  Will try it out further on Saturday's shoot.

JonathanBenoit

Profoto Packs
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2010, 02:06:47 pm »

Oh Man..... !  I dig this.  I really dig this!  Will try it out further on Saturday's shoot.

Chris,

Any reason why you didnt go with the 1000 Airs?

CBarrett

Profoto Packs
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2010, 04:47:59 pm »

Chris,

Any reason why you didnt go with the 1000 Airs?

I didn't think I'd need the punch and at the time was also buying all my hotlights, camera, lenses and digi back.  Spent WAY too much money last year and cost played a factor.  I find that we're almost always dialing the 500's down a little since I shoot primarily around f/11 and on the rare occasion when I need more power I bump the ISO up to 100.  I also found that the standard 7" grid reflector increases output by a full stop.  So it seemed like I had plenty of W/S.  PArt of my reason for investigating the D4 is to have that extra strength in one or two lights.

-CB

CBarrett

Profoto Packs
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »

In the end I dumped the pack... idea.  Added 3 D1 1000 Air's to my current collection of D1 500's.  More firepower than the D4, instant Air Compatibility and more convenient than a pack and heads.  Why didn't I just decide to do that in the first place?

Silly Photographer.

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
Profoto Packs
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:30 pm »

In the end I dumped the pack... idea.  Added 3 D1 1000 Air's to my current collection of D1 500's.  More firepower than the D4, instant Air Compatibility and more convenient than a pack and heads.  Why didn't I just decide to do that in the first place?

Silly Photographer.

lol after all of this it came to that?

I think you made the right choice.

On a different note, do you ever use your d1s for anything aside from product/interior photography? Are they fast enough at low power to shoot 3 frames per second for fast action studio portrait photography? I know my Elinchrom rx600 are not. Very disappointing.
MY SITE: AL

JonathanBenoit

Profoto Packs
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 12:02:35 am »

Silly Photographer.

Yea. I was thinking that would make a more organized setup. I cant really think of a better solution for lighting interiors than 8 d1 airs

K.C.

Profoto Packs
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2010, 02:10:55 am »

In the end I dumped the pack... idea.  Added 3 D1 1000 Air's to my current collection of D1 500's.  More firepower than the D4, instant Air Compatibility and more convenient than a pack and heads.

It'll be interesting to hear how often you actually use that extra stop of the 1000s.

I'm carrying 2 D1 500 Airs for the lights that go up high, or in other hard to access spots. The kind of light you want to place and then tweek.

A couple each of the old style 300/600 compacts still works just fine for the rest. A Pro6 2400 Freeze with a Pro 7 head still rides in the kit for those occasional times when the big pancake lantern gets hung up and a large silk or bounce is needed. Some times it's nice to reinforce the light through a large window on an overcast day.

K.C.

Profoto Packs
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2010, 02:12:30 am »

Quote from:  Abdulrahman Aljabri
On a different note, do you ever use your d1s for anything aside from product/interior photography? Are they fast enough at low power to shoot 3 frames per second for fast action studio portrait photography? I know my Elinchrom rx600 are not. Very disappointing.

Specs are right here: http://www.profoto.com/D1/technical-data.php

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up