Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: European Epson 3880  (Read 4714 times)

RichardJWhite

European Epson 3880
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:27:29 am »

Has anyone bought a European machine before? The North American version will not do what I need it to, the Euro version will. The issue is that if it needs work under warranty it would have to be sent back to the EU.

Any suggestions? Any Euro dealers around?

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
European Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:27 pm »

Richard

What is the difference between the EU and USA version?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

RichardJWhite

European Epson 3880
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:31:13 pm »

Quote from: John R Smith
Richard

What is the difference between the EU and USA version?

John

In the spec sheets on the Epson website the list of supported boarderless cutsheets are different. In the NA version it does not support 10"x12" boarderless printing. In the European model it does. I called Epson to ask why, they did not have an answer, except to say that they release the same model with different functions in different markets. Epson said when the first model of (I think the 4880 not sure) was released in the states, one had to change the Photo black and Matte black cartridges, but in the European model you did not need to do that. They were released to both markets concurrently. The Epson U.S. marketing team begged to get the EU model here, this is what the Pre-Sale support dept told me. (I am sure I am quoting the wrong model# but that is irrelevant)

However, I called the Epson advanced tech support call center in Long Beach, CA to ask about a work around or a rip and the tech went into the driver for the US model and said it does support 10"x12" boarderless printing, but the product development team or whomever is responsible often times just cut and paste info from older spec sheets when they release new products so all fo the functions may not be included. No kidding! You can make this stuff up! I cant tell you how many people/resellers/rip developers I called about a printer that could print 10"x12" If I had not found LL. I would have been out of luck. You guys are great!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:33:36 pm by RichardJWhite »

Ernst Dinkla

European Epson 3880
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:30:34 am »

I do recall that with the European printers the paper sizes are different and for borderless printing there's a hardware difference that the felt/sponges? at the paper edges are in a different location on the printer for that reason.  It could be that there are different safety regulations between the EU and US on electric products but I doubt that makes a lot of difference. For the rest it is usually marketing arbitrarily dividing the models to control prices of printers and consumables.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
European Epson 3880
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:39:58 am »

Quote from: RichardJWhite
Epson said when the first model of (I think the 4880 not sure) was released in the states, one had to change the Photo black and Matte black cartridges, but in the European model you did not need to do that. They were released to both markets concurrently. The Epson U.S. marketing team begged to get the EU model here, this is what the Pre-Sale support dept told me. (I am sure I am quoting the wrong model# but that is irrelevant)

Uh no...that is not in the least bit accurate...

None of the x880 printers (except the 2880 & 3880) does NOT need the photo>matte K swap...if somebody said the 4880 *or 7880 or 9880) doesn't need to do a K ink swap, they are full of syhte...

As far as I know there is no difference between the Euro and USA version of the current/recent printers and if somebody it telling you different the odds are REAL FRIGGIN' GOOD they are talking out of the top of their heads (meaning they don't have a friggin' clue).

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
European Epson 3880
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:54:19 am »

Jeff

What on earth are you doing up at this time of day (well, in Chicago). Do you never sleep?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Randy Carone

European Epson 3880
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:13:18 am »

The Epson 11880 - 64" -also has both Matte and Photo Black in the printer for quick (and inexpensive) black switching.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:13:41 am by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

RichardJWhite

European Epson 3880
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:44:19 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Uh no...that is not in the least bit accurate...

None of the x880 printers (except the 2880 & 3880) does NOT need the photo>matte K swap...if somebody said the 4880 *or 7880 or 9880) doesn't need to do a K ink swap, they are full of syhte...

As far as I know there is no difference between the Euro and USA version of the current/recent printers and if somebody it telling you different the odds are REAL FRIGGIN' GOOD they are talking out of the top of their heads (meaning they don't have a friggin' clue).

I have no idea whether it is accurate or not, however the Epson Pre-Sale rep for Pro Models mentioned some model that was first introduced in the 2 markets concurrently, the European model did not need to swap inks and the NA model did. Furthermore the rep said there are differences between EU & NA models, whatever they might be. (After working on Sony Consumer Electronics advertising for years, I tend to believe it) This is the same person who said the 3880 did not support printing that it in fact did. As did a whole lot of sales people and RIP developers. Multiple people in the advanced tech support dept confirmed this mis-information, until one them actually opened the driver and checked to find out that it did. This is after someone on LL said that their 3800 supported the function and I, with knowledge in hand pressed them.

Which just further illustrates the point.

Farmer

European Epson 3880
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »

I have no idea whether it is accurate or not, however the Epson Pre-Sale rep for Pro Models mentioned some model that was first introduced in the 2 markets concurrently, the European model did not need to swap inks and the NA model did. Furthermore the rep said there are differences between EU & NA models, whatever they might be. (After working on Sony Consumer Electronics advertising for years, I tend to believe it) This is the same person who said the 3880 did not support printing that it in fact did. As did a whole lot of sales people and RIP developers. Multiple people in the advanced tech support dept confirmed this mis-information, until one them actually opened the driver and checked to find out that it did. This is after someone on LL said that their 3800 supported the function and I, with knowledge in hand pressed them.

Which just further illustrates the point.

I can assure you that there are no differences between models with respect to swapping of black ink (ie that some need to and some don't).  When it's the same model - it's the same model.  There *may* be driver variations in some cases (mostly older models) to reflect market expectations regarding paper and such, but that's about it.

Essentially, the person you spoke to was either mistaken, wasn't clear, or doesn't know what they're talking about.
Phil Brown

RichardJWhite

European Epson 3880
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 09:54:15 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
I can assure you that there are no differences between models with respect to swapping of black ink (ie that some need to and some don't).  When it's the same model - it's the same model.  There *may* be driver variations in some cases (mostly older models) to reflect market expectations regarding paper and such, but that's about it.

Essentially, the person you spoke to was either mistaken, wasn't clear, or doesn't know what they're talking about.

That is the point...which is it???

btw the reps example was years old, was not talking about a current situation. I am not making this up, this is out of the mouth of Epson...Does no one get this?

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
European Epson 3880
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »

I can see there maybe being differences in driver settings, especially with regard to different media settings. Different papers and sizes are sold in different markets, after all.

But to say that in one market you have to swap blacks, and in the other you don't, strikes me as highly unrealistic. That's a fundamental hardware difference, you're talking about a significant change to print heads at the very least. It would make no sense at all.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Farmer

European Epson 3880
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 12:07:39 am »

btw the reps example was years old, was not talking about a current situation. I am not making this up, this is out of the mouth of Epson...Does no one get this?

The 4000 had both Photo and Matte black onboard and so didn't need any changes.  The 4800 and 4880 require you to change.  There's no difference between models sold in the US and in Europe (or indeed anywhere) in this regard.

All the 3880s are capable of printing the same borderless sizes.
Phil Brown

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
European Epson 3880
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 12:18:52 am »

The previous poster has pointed out where the confusion lies and in fact the mistake of ink swapping in the 4000,4800, and 4880 has been confused many times over the years.  The 4000 was a unique printer in the Epson line up, and in fact was the only one that did not require an ink swap.  It isn't surprising someone from "epson" was confused, since most likely their knowledge is limited to training, not practical experience.  Even some of us experienced in these printers forget about the 4000 and lock in on the 4800  as the one that didn't need swapping.  I have seen this mistake (and have actually made it myself several times).

Currently with Epson printers and Black ink switching, there are 3 scenarios.  One is a full channel purge, which takes a lot of ink.  This includes the 48/78/9880.  Second is a head only purge, meaning both MK and PK is supplied to the head but they share the same nozzles.  This requires far less ink to switch, and is the method used in the 3800, 3880 as well as the 79/9900.  Finally the 11880 is the unique one here, because it doesn't not switch ink.  Both MK and PK have a full set of nozzles, and thus requires no switching (0 ink, 0 time), much like the Canon and the HP. In fact the 11880 can lay down both PK and MK in the same pass (such as a nozzle check).

Regarding your original question and support of borderless printing, the US version of the 3800 printer absolutely DOES support 10x12 borderless sheet printing, and I have found no differences in anything of this nature between it and the 3880.  I have attached a screen shot to show this is available directly in the driver, no custom paper size needed.

[attachment=21655:10x12_Bo...s_dialog.jpg]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:22:49 am by Wayne Fox »

enduser

European Epson 3880
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:20:21 am »

I think the original poster's point is that Epson at the tech level seem not to know a great deal about aspects of their printers.  I get that point.  But it's the same for any brand of complex machinery.  The life cycle of these things is too short to get completely involved at the factory level.   There's probably more knowledge here and at similar venues, than on the manufacturer's staff.

That's why IT companies have their software cracked, their phones hi-jacked and demos turned into lifetime access - their IT crew is maybe 20 or so experts, out here there are hundreds and thousands of experts.

RichardJWhite

European Epson 3880
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 05:27:16 pm »

Quote from: enduser
I think the original poster's point is that Epson at the tech level seem not to know a great deal about aspects of their printers.  I get that point.  But it's the same for any brand of complex machinery.  The life cycle of these things is too short to get completely involved at the factory level.   There's probably more knowledge here and at similar venues, than on the manufacturer's staff.

That's why IT companies have their software cracked, their phones hi-jacked and demos turned into lifetime access - their IT crew is maybe 20 or so experts, out here there are hundreds and thousands of experts.

Exactly, but printing technology has not really changed that much compared to computing technology, how much different is a driver, from the users stand point, today than 10 years ago? I think I was at Esquire, in the late 90's (or was I at in Ad Agency in 2000?) when photographers started sending portfolios made with Epson Prints. The quality has improved in the interm, but not radically so, at least to my eye. I had a photographer send me digital files for a national campaign in 2002, and it was a scandal. Print Production had a cow, the files were all sized wrong, the retouching all had to be redone, etc, etc, etc. I went to a buddy at a different shop and paid out of my poocket for a match print without touching the files and it was perfect. The Prepress people were scared to death and trying to save thier jobs and the grease from thier vendors. How much the world has changed.

There is no excuse for Epson not to know every function of a printer, especially one that is based on tech that is at least 3 years old, even if the model is not. When I found out from someone on this site that it did what I need it to do I went and bought one the next day. Had I not found LL I would be in the dark. Some of you guys should be consultants. (probably aready are....$1500 a day for a color guru to come here and sort everything out. I am figuring it out myself)

Farmer

European Epson 3880
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 09:04:42 pm »

Printing technology has changed HUGE amounts in the last 10 years.  This type of large format inkjet printing only just came into existence within that time frame.

Even from a user's perspective, drivers have changed and the abilities of the printers have changed.

Should Epson know its products?  Yes.  No argument.  But to suggest there are no significant differences over the last 10 years is simply wrong.
Phil Brown

enduser

European Epson 3880
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 01:12:01 am »

Eric Chan is an example of a forum poster who helped many of us over the past few years, and now works for Adobe, but still helps out on forums.  A Guru indeed.  And his Epson knowledge is legendary.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
European Epson 3880
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 11:00:19 am »

Quote from: enduser
Eric Chan is an example of a forum poster who helped many of us over the past few years, and now works for Adobe, but still helps out on forums.  A Guru indeed.  And his Epson knowledge is legendary.
+99!!

And he writes about technical matters with a clarity that I have never seen in any other writer (and I've seen plenty in my 35 years as a professor of math and computer science).

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up