Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about colour space  (Read 2274 times)

Damo77

• http://www.bellephotography.net.au/
Question about colour space
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:36:24 pm »

Y'know how monitor manufacturers sometimes boast their monitor's gamut as a percentage of the Adobe RGB gamut? Eg "98% of Adobe RGB" or whatever.

Well, does anybody know the exact comparison between sRGB and Adobe RGB? I mean, is sRGB 70% of Adobe RGB? 80%? 90%?  I assume it's measured as volume of the 3D space model?
Damien

bjanes

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:12 am »

Quote from: Damo77
Y'know how monitor manufacturers sometimes boast their monitor's gamut as a percentage of the Adobe RGB gamut? Eg "98% of Adobe RGB" or whatever.

Well, does anybody know the exact comparison between sRGB and Adobe RGB? I mean, is sRGB 70% of Adobe RGB? 80%? 90%?  I assume it's measured as volume of the 3D space model?
As a comparison of the matrix coefficients of sRGB and aRGB will show, aRGB has a larger gamut mainly in the greens. Bruce Lindbloom's site has a lot of good information. Your question can be answered directly with a 3D gamut plot, in this case from Gamutvision by Norman Koren. Here, the view is from the top. sRGB has 69% of the aRGB gamut. Colorthink is another such gamut mapping program, but the less expensive version does not work with Windows 7 or Vista and I do not recommend it.

Bill

[attachment=21606:aRGBsRGB.png]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:33:01 am by bjanes »

Damo77

• http://www.bellephotography.net.au/
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:17 pm »

69% - great!  Thanks, Bill.
Damien

Pat Herold

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:20 pm »

I could not recommend ColorThink 2 either, since it does not do gamut volume calculations.  It's the ColorThink Pro version that does gamut calculations, and it also gives 69% (68.9%) as the ratio of sRGB to adobeRGB.  These gamut calculations are generally rather crude estimates and are based on the 3D gamut volume as you suggested.  When working with such smooth profiles such as these two, though, these estimates should be fairly accurate.  Since you bring it up, ColorThink Pro works fine in Windows 7, and we will be working at bringing out a ColorThink 2 (the less expensive) version that will be Win 7 compatible.  
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »

Quote from: pherold
I could not recommend ColorThink 2 either, since it does not do gamut volume calculations.  It's the ColorThink Pro version that does gamut calculations, and it also gives 69% (68.9%) as the ratio of sRGB to adobeRGB.  These gamut calculations are generally rather crude estimates and are based on the 3D gamut volume as you suggested.  When working with such smooth profiles such as these two, though, these estimates should be fairly accurate.  Since you bring it up, ColorThink Pro works fine in Windows 7, and we will be working at bringing out a ColorThink 2 (the less expensive) version that will be Win 7 compatible.
Patrick,
That is what you said last Christmas (link), but now it is nearly May. Is it too late for me to return the product for refund? My patience is wearing a bit thin.
Regards,

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up