Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens correction in CS5 - why not in RAW converter?  (Read 23536 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Lens correction in CS5 - why not in RAW converter?
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
http://www.adobe.com/go/alpc/

Farmer,

what a nice, informative post with a nice informative link to a useful piece of software !!!

Edmund

Jeff,

I have a SINGLE wish for improvement in Photoshop, that would make the software increase by $100 in value for me: A simpler print dialog, and no need to uprez and/or sharpen before printing.
And then, I would like ... better sharpening, better noise reduction, a better out-of-gamut visualization, and last not least ... lower pricing.

As for ACR, I have 0 feature requests. I think that this software is never going to make me really happy, and what it does it does well enough for the people who like it.  

But I'm sure I'm the only person who has asked for the above feature improvements in the past 10 years - after all we live in the best of all possible worlds, now there, don't we.
Or no we don't ,they didn't allow president Bush to get a third term, so the map makers still print "Iran" on that part of the globes. Ah well, there too we have space for improvement.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:35:26 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2010, 02:32:48 am »

Quote from: eronald
As for ACR, I have 0 feature requests. I think that this software is never going to make me really happy, and what it does it does well enough for the people who like it.

Ok, fine...so you want to continue being a putz...(since you don't seem to want to actually learn how to use it)...

I'm ok with that (in fact rather like the fact you don't have a friggin' clue how to use it)...

The less I need to interface with you, the better, ya know? I suspect you won't be buying the book nor the video (heaven forbid that you should actually learn how to use the tools before you condemn them)...

You go right ahead and entertain yourself while the rest of the world moves forward...(did we mention ACR 6.1 will have auto lens correction?)

Seriously, don't be using ACR 6.x for your stuff...clearly you can do better shooting JPEG....

Right?

wtlloyd

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2010, 02:54:24 am »

I just laugh when I read complaints about Adobe pricing.

I'm a cabinetmaker. The software I use costs $13,000 for the three modules I own...and that's without any CNC translation, just the basic commercial design and cutlist features. Simple cad w/ some rendering.

Version upgrades, every 18-24 months, are $500 ($1,000 for everybody who purchased after 1992). Upgrade pricing is cumulative...skip a upgrade, and you owe double for the one after that. Phone support is $1200 to $2500 year, last year they closed the web forums and  web forum access now is $250/year.

One company, Planit International, bought up the two main players a decade ago, along with a couple of the smaller players. The few remaining alternatives are strictly amateur league.

Ya, Adobe is just raping you guys.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2010, 04:01:40 am »

Quote from: wtlloyd
I just laugh when I read complaints about Adobe pricing.

Ya, Adobe is just raping you guys.

It's a very good point. You should see the prices we pay at work for GIS licences, or database licencing for our Sites and Monuments Record (and support fees), all on an annual basis per seat. Or the fees we pay to the Ordnance Survey for our base mapping (about £65,000 per annum last time I looked). With Adobe software you get fully functional 30-day trials, public betas, excellent Internet support and a widespread user community, and developers from the company who bother to drop in here and help out. Obviously they are not doing any of this out of a sense of public duty, they need to turn a profit just the same as anyone else. But when a photographer can get pretty much most of the features they need to make a nice print out of PS Elements for about 60 quid here in the UK, I don't see too much to complain about.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2010, 04:30:35 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
It's a very good point. You should see the prices we pay at work for GIS licences, or database licencing for our Sites and Monuments Record (and support fees), all on an annual basis per seat. Or the fees we pay to the Ordnance Survey for our base mapping (about £65,000 per annum last time I looked). With Adobe software you get fully functional 30-day trials, public betas, excellent Internet support and a widespread user community, and developers from the company who bother to drop in here and help out. Obviously they are not doing any of this out of a sense of public duty, they need to turn a profit just the same as anyone else. But when a photographer can get pretty much most of the features they need to make a nice print out of PS Elements for about 60 quid here in the UK, I don't see too much to complain about.

John

Hehe, I had a meeting with a software company, where I outlined (in my professional capacity, see the Ph.D) how the whole core of Photoshop could be redone quickly, a matter of weeks. There were a bunch of people much smarter than me with years in the imaging business present, and they agreed that my method would probably work, in fact we even did back of the envelope time of computation estimations.

So, I don't think that Adobe is raping anybody for price, they are just overpricing because they use PS as a cash cow to finance new acquisitions., in the same way MS used Windows and Windows server licensing to build their company. However with both Adobe and Microsoft, we can see that the excessive pricing is now creating an entry point for technologically savvy competition to provide a large fraction of the functionality (Linux server farms, $200 Linux netooks) for a fraction of the price.

Apple already employ a method similar to the method I suggested, in their graphics software packages . I am sure that Steve would never risk picking a fight over Flash if he didn't already have Pictures ready to launch along Pages and Numbers. After all they did manage to make a nice copy of Lightroom with Aperture - except Steve seems to have a time machine because Apertue arrived quite a bit *before* Lightroom,

Edmund

PS. Jeff, why don't we dig out some images and put them up for ocnversion here on the forum? We can do a nice little converter shootout where everybody picks his favorite engine to process the files. I will gladly provide some Paris landscape shots from Nikon, Canon and Phase.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:38:52 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2010, 08:57:31 am »

Hi,

Anyone is free to come up with a cheaper product. Actually there are some around:

Picture Window Pro
Photoline 32

And of course... GIMP the Gnu Image Manipulation Program

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: John R Smith

John
Erik Kaffehr

Farmer

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2010, 05:11:39 am »

Well, Edmund, if it's so easy you should do it.  There's clearly a very large number of users willing to pay less to get the same functionality.  Yes, I'm sure we're all well aware of your Ph.D since it's in every post you make.  It seems very important to you.

"in fact we even did back of the envelope time of computation estimations."

Well, if you did back of the envelope stuff it *must* be all correct!  SJ has clearly made a huge mistake by not coming to you and really since it's so easy why hasn't he just released it?

So, I guess what I'm saying is put up or shut up :-)
Phil Brown

AFairley

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2010, 04:05:00 pm »

People love and people hate Adobe and its products, pricing, marketing, __________ (fill in the blank).  Who gives a shit?  I am at a loss to understand how so many of the posts in these forums degenerate into middle-school level namecalling and baiting.  Who gives a rip if someone has a wierd opinion, just move along.  It's as bad as the Nikon and Canon fanboys trolling on DPR.  Jeeze, I thought this was a forum with grownup photographers.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »

Quote from: AFairley
"grownup photographers"

Ain't no such thing bud...

If you don't like the topic, move along...if you don't like the forums, again, move along...there's nothing here for you–these are not the droids you were looking for...

AFairley

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2010, 04:37:30 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
If you don't like the topic, move along...if you don't like the forums, again, move along...there's nothing here for you–these are not the droids you were looking for...

Man, talk about not taking your own advice....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:37:54 pm by AFairley »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:12 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Ain't no such thing bud...

What's worrying is that you talk about it like it's normal, and not something that can be fixed. Signal-to-noise ratio has been deteriorating here for a while, and an increasing number of threads need to be closed due to juvenile poo-flinging. I've already had to delete some of my posts in other threads which have deteriorated to such extent that I can't have my name associated even with the thread, although I wasn't even part of the "debate." Fortunately I haven't seen blatant trolling, just uncivil behavior.

There should be more temporary bans and lower tolerance towards such behavior.

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2010, 12:39:17 am »

Quote from: feppe
. . . uncivil behavior.

There should be more temporary bans and lower tolerance towards such behavior.

No doubt. The level of dialog on these forums has suffered in recent times. Unfortunately, Jeff, who is in every tutorial offered on this site, is often the major offender, and banning him isn't likely to happen. I'm constantly amazed that Michael and Adobe would care to be associated with such a juvenile personality. Personal attacks and otherwise helpful posts laced with insults are his modus operandi.

Richowens

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2010, 01:31:37 am »

Be careful gentlemen, your halos are slipping.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2010, 02:40:38 am »

Quote from: AFairley
... Jeeze, I thought this was a forum with grownup photographers.
And you would be right... it is for grown-ups, i.e. adults. It is not PG 13, to use the movie-rating scale, but often R-rated and X-rated, which by definition might include sex, violence, foul language, crude humor, drinks, cigars and bikes. If are underage or prefer chick flicks, sorry, wrong forum. And once you get used to the Cerberus-in-Chief™ style, it becomes endearingly funny actually  To quote another photographer: "Perhaps the world's second worst crime is boredom. The first is being a bore." (Sir Cecil Beaton). You can not seriously expect me not to be bored to death by the dry debate about lens corrections? And when it comes to raw, I prefer humor to converters
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up