Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad issues  (Read 3734 times)

Robert Spoecker

iPad issues
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:18 pm »

The iPad is not suitable for storing images to be retrieved later. To sync photos over from my Mac I put a few JPG images into a folder on the Mac and synced them over to the iPad easily. It put them into the "Photos" application on the iPad and looked fine. The name was stripped from the images though.

There is no way to sync from the iPad to the Mac that I have found. I did email one image to myself and that worked fine but the file in the email was called "photo.jpg" which was certainly not the original file name. Email is no way to send yourself a dozen files anyway. I am glad I bought the 16 GB iPad as that will fill my need as I cannot use it to backup files from my Mac.

If I am missing something please let me and the other forum members know

Robert

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
iPad issues
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 11:44:14 pm »

I don't think you're missing anything Robert.  With the camera dongle, you may be able to load photos, but even 64GB isn't very much if you're planning on bringing it along for a week of shooting.

I've been using it as a very flexible portfolio to present images to clients/judges.  So far, I still am getting a lot of Oohhhs and Ahhhhhs, but that will wear off.  For the purpose of portfolio presentation, it works very well, although I still bring along prints.

Beyond that, I'm finding that it's a great media consumption device.  I find it hard to put down, but it's great to sit next to my wife on the couch and catch up on email and Internet sites instead of vegging out in front of the iMac.  I find that it has largely replaced my need for a notebook computer.  Productivity tasks are limited, but I usually wait to sit down to the desktop for that anyway.

I don't want to take anything away from your point though.  It is NOT an adequate substitute for image backup.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:45:21 pm by jasonrandolph »

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
iPad issues
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:24 pm »

Another interesting point about unexpected results....

I created a photo slideshow in Keynote, using music imported through the media manager. When I synced the slideshow over to the iPad, it stripped the music from the presentation. It also is not possible to attach music to a slideshow created in the iPad version of Keynote. Disappointing.

David

David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
iPad issues
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:48:56 am »

Perhaps some additional feedback on this topic.  I've been playing with the camera connection kit, and have found it is pretty easy to import files onto the iPad including most raw files.  To get them off the iPad, Lightroom 3 beta 2 sees the iPad as an external device much like a card and you can copy the files onto a location of your choice on your hard drive when you import them.

Using a cheap belkin card reader I had no problems importing from several CF cards.  The iPad supports most raw formats, and you can view the raw files on the device.  I found that even though it doesn't support PhaseOne files, as long as i have my phase one back use the .TIF extension instead of the .IIQ extension, I can import the raw files from my p65 onto the ipad and then back off to my hard drive using Lightroom.  I can't view the phase files on the ipad, but could use it to back the files up.

I had no problems keeping the original file names for any of these steps.

One thing you can't do is write the files from the pad to another backup device such as a small USB hard drive or another SD or CF card which is the way I typically like to work during a trip (3 copies of each file, one on the original card, one on the laptop and one on an external drive).

The other issue is you can't really organize the files on the iPad.  However, when importing them in Lightroom you can set it to separate the files according to date.

I'm going to load up a set of cards from a recent trip, simulating what I would have done when in the field to see how functional it might be to use the iPad as a field backup/secondary storage device.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
iPad issues
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:48:56 am »

Edit: somehow the post was duplicated
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:19:58 pm by Wayne Fox »

fredjeang

iPad issues
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 04:28:05 am »

I think we should me more cool with the Ipad. It was not made exclusively for photo-video graphers so it's not strange that some compromises or limitations are showing-up.
It is also a product in its childwood.

I think that the real exciting things are going to come tomorrow. Just a question of time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up