Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop on Win or OSX  (Read 57891 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2010, 12:15:45 am »

Quote from: infocusinc
google is your friend...
And google tells me that LUA is yet another programming language, and SRP is Salt River Project (or Specialty Racing Products). 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2010, 08:41:18 am »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
And google tells me that LUA is yet another programming language, and SRP is Salt River Project (or Specialty Racing Products). 

One if us must use google in a different fashion.  I found what I was looking for in link seven on the first page....and link one on the first page for the other term.

Google is indeed your friend
Craig Lamson Photo

Eric Myrvaagnes

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2010, 11:20:34 am »

Quote from: infocusinc
One if us must use google in a different fashion.  I found what I was looking for in link seven on the first page....and link one on the first page for the other term.

Google is indeed your friend
You evidently knew that "LUA" had something to do with computer security, but it is certainly not a common acronym in the photography world, nor did your first post provide any such context. Wikipedia tells me:

"Lua may refer to:
Lua (programming language), a lightweight, extensible programming language
Lua (goddess), the Roman goddess
Lua (martial art), a traditional Hawaiian martial art
"Lua" (song), a single by the folk rock band Bright Eyes
Lua, Duff Islands, one of the islands in the Duff Islands group
Least user access or Least-privilege User Account, a concept in computer security
Lawa people, an ethnic group in northern Thailand
Lua people, an ethnic group in northern Laos
Niellim language, a Bua language spoken in southern Chad
Last universal ancestor, the hypothetical organism from which all other species of organisms descended
Saint Lua, Irish saint from the late sixth century, early seventh century.
Tshiluba language ISO 639 code"

As for Google, the seventh link on page one for me was "Lua - TIOBE
The Lua Programming Language. Highest Rating (since 2003): 0.771% (20th position , December 2007); Lowest Rating (since 2003): 0.015% (69th position, ...
www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Lua.html"

And the first three hits Google gave me for SRP were:

"SRP: Salt River Project power and water"

"SRP: How to contact us" and

"SRP Pistons"

I think most forum visitors here can understand acronyms such as PS for Photoshop, LR for Lightroom, DR for dynamic range, and a few others. But it seems unreasonable to me to expect most photographers to be familiar with either LUA or SRP. A little context would help.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:21:25 am by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2010, 12:35:03 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
You evidently knew that "LUA" had something to do with computer security, but it is certainly not a common acronym in the photography world, nor did your first post provide any such context. Wikipedia tells me:

"Lua may refer to:
Lua (programming language), a lightweight, extensible programming language
Lua (goddess), the Roman goddess
Lua (martial art), a traditional Hawaiian martial art
"Lua" (song), a single by the folk rock band Bright Eyes
Lua, Duff Islands, one of the islands in the Duff Islands group
Least user access or Least-privilege User Account, a concept in computer security
Lawa people, an ethnic group in northern Thailand
Lua people, an ethnic group in northern Laos
Niellim language, a Bua language spoken in southern Chad
Last universal ancestor, the hypothetical organism from which all other species of organisms descended
Saint Lua, Irish saint from the late sixth century, early seventh century.
Tshiluba language ISO 639 code"

As for Google, the seventh link on page one for me was "Lua - TIOBE
The Lua Programming Language. Highest Rating (since 2003): 0.771% (20th position , December 2007); Lowest Rating (since 2003): 0.015% (69th position, ...
www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Lua.html"

And the first three hits Google gave me for SRP were:

"SRP: Salt River Project power and water"

"SRP: How to contact us" and

"SRP Pistons"

I think most forum visitors here can understand acronyms such as PS for Photoshop, LR for Lightroom, DR for dynamic range, and a few others. But it seems unreasonable to me to expect most photographers to be familiar with either LUA or SRP. A little context would help.

Like I said we must use Google in a different way.  What I knew was it had to do with WINDOWS.  I did my search accordingly.  It appears you did not.  Thats ok by me if its ok you.

BTW, I had no idea until I did a simple search...of course that was the entire point of my original post.
Craig Lamson Photo

conredgecollins

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2010, 03:25:29 am »

up and back.

fanlynne

Re: Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2010, 12:05:14 am »

As a casual user of CS products, I find no substantive differences between using them on a Mac vs. PC. I can cross post this question over to the Photoshop forum (originally posted to the Photoshop.com web site forum, which is not just about the desktop app).

It's probably going to become a Mac vs. PC discussion, since the question is inherently 'which is better', but hopefully people will remain objective and constructive!

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:21 pm »

I think thats kinda the point its supposed to be the same for compatibility ...just like microsoft office is pretty much the same cross platform.  By default it becomes a Mac vs PC debate because the program features and functionality are almost identical on MAC or PC all that is left is hardware and OS comarisons.  Ie: Speed, stability etc.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »

Well, it's not the same. I have been a long-time Windows user and I switched to Mac several months ago. I'm glad I did. I can only compare with Windows XP because that is the system I switched from. There are all kinds of subtle differences and distinguishing features which just make the Mac stand out as a superior option in terms of overall security, stability and usability. It would be very demanding to get into a whole bit by bit comparison, but this is my overall assessment after several months of experience with it. One really outstanding difference I should note however is the pleasure and efficiency of doing without AV software.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2010, 11:38:46 pm »

'Time Machine' can be very useful. Has Windows 7 got an equivalent?

Graeme

Yes Windows 7 has a system image backup feature that works flawlessly. It saved my butt just two weeks ago.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2010, 05:33:16 pm »

Hi Mark,

I am a rabid MAC fan so I hear what you are saying !  security and stability are because of the MAC OS i would think ...i was just saying that as far as  ADOBE PHOTOSHOP  the versions are very similar, particularly if they are just a casual user as the previous post had said. No question there are subtle differences ....

Raw shooter

« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »

Well, it's not the same. I have been a long-time Windows user and I switched to Mac several months ago. I'm glad I did. I can only compare with Windows XP because that is the system I switched from. There are all kinds of subtle differences and distinguishing features which just make the Mac stand out as a superior option in terms of overall security, stability and usability. It would be very demanding to get into a whole bit by bit comparison, but this is my overall assessment after several months of experience with it. One really outstanding difference I should note however is the pleasure and efficiency of doing without AV software.

I think the real question is Windows 7 vs. OSX.  It's almost 2011 and the question has changed quite a bit.  64 bit machines running multiple monitors and 24 GB of RAM has changed the answer.  i7 processors and SSDs being the killer speed game changers for users on both sides.

Which side gives you the most and best options?  Which side is better for non-technical users?

Which side you choose says more about you - than which platform is superior.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2010, 08:59:39 pm »

I think the real question is Windows 7 vs. OSX.  It's almost 2011 and the question has changed quite a bit.  64 bit machines running multiple monitors and 24 GB of RAM has changed the answer.  i7 processors and SSDs being the killer speed game changers for users on both sides.

Which side gives you the most and best options?  Which side is better for non-technical users?

Which side you choose says more about you - than which platform is superior.

Yes I agree, the question is WIN7 vs OSX. I have Win7 installed under Parallels in my MacBook Pro. But you can't install OSX in any Windows OS. I don't need to use it often, but when I do it works fine. That being the case, OSX gives us more options because with the ability to mount both operating systems on one machine there isn't an application we can't seamlessly use one way or another.

For non-technical users, I think Mac is the preferred choice - the way the system is designed and packaged, there's less to go wrong, less up-dating and patching, no AV to worry about.

Frankly, I don't think my choice of a computer platform says a damn thing about me. These things are tools we use to get a job done and we each use what we prefer for whatever the reasons.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2010, 12:47:02 am »

Frankly, I don't think my choice of a computer platform says a damn thing about me. These things are tools we use to get a job done and we each use what we prefer for whatever the reasons.

You say that but you USED to be a Windows users and you bought a Mac...now, exactly why did you do that? Did you wake up one day and decide to change sides? No...you looked around at people who you looked up to (like Mike who also switched from Windows to Mac) and decided to dip a toe in the other side. That actually does say something about you (and the fact that the vast majority of platform "switchers" and Windows people getting Macs and either using Bootcamp or Parallels to run that last bit of software you just can't run on a Mac).

In the grand scheme of things, nothing in any Adobe software compels anybody to use one platform or the other-Adobe has bent over backwards to make sure the usability & functionality of all their software is platform agnostic.

There are indeed some areas where one can make the argument that Windows offers at least less hassle than Mac OS's seem to cause. Color management is one area I would point to...

:~)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2010, 08:42:17 am »

Hi,

I switched from Windows XP to Mac about four years ago. For me it was a smooth experience. I had a temporary issue with my iMac (loose DRAM sticks) and reverted to Windows XP for a short while, it was decidedly a bad experience. Very possible Windows 7 is a much better platform.

Admittedly, I'm a UNIX/Linux kind of person and I'm using command line quite a lot on the Mac.

Best regards
Erik

You say that but you USED to be a Windows users and you bought a Mac...now, exactly why did you do that? Did you wake up one day and decide to change sides? No...you looked around at people who you looked up to (like Mike who also switched from Windows to Mac) and decided to dip a toe in the other side. That actually does say something about you (and the fact that the vast majority of platform "switchers" and Windows people getting Macs and either using Bootcamp or Parallels to run that last bit of software you just can't run on a Mac).

In the grand scheme of things, nothing in any Adobe software compels anybody to use one platform or the other-Adobe has bent over backwards to make sure the usability & functionality of all their software is platform agnostic.

There are indeed some areas where one can make the argument that Windows offers at least less hassle than Mac OS's seem to cause. Color management is one area I would point to...

Erik Kaffehr

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2010, 10:18:30 am »

[/quote

Well, fine, what it says about me is that I'm not afflicted with "brand allegiance", and I'm willing to try stuff, but beyond that I just can't fathom how using one OS or another has systematic, differentiating personality implications. That's what I was getting at. Anyhow, moving on......

Yes, colour management was pretty seamless with XP. I would also say that the GUI and experience of the Epson printer driver was better with XP than what I've seen and experienced so far on Mac. And yes, using Photoshop, Lightroom, Microsoft Office - same as, same as.

This "toe dip" by the way didn't come cheap, but then again once I decided to do this I really did it, the whole nine yards, except for SSD drives which are really expensive and didn't appear cost-effective given the amount of RAM I bought. (FWIW and for those interested, OWC - www.macsales.com - has an interesting comparison chart showing bench-test performance speed as a function of both drive type and RAM for each of the Mac Pro configurations.) Performance is generally very satisfactory, but I am, to put it mildly, unimpressed with how obtuse and uncooperative Apple Computer Inc. can be when faced with issues which clearly lie within their domain to examine and fix, and all you get from them is token, non-substantive "support" followed by stony silence. There may be more on this anon - one other firm is involved on a pair of issues concerning display support, and they are being helpful. So much to say that while not all is well in Apple-land, "in the grand scheme of things" this is a really good computing environment.

For those making the switch, BTW, I would highly recommend David Pogue's "Mac OS X Snow Leopard - The Missing Manual" - nothing I need to know about the OS is missing from this well-priced book.

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2010, 11:16:22 am »

I didnt switch to a Mac because someone I looked up to did or because the anyone else was...I did it when Windows 98, ME etc. was the Windows OS and it was absolute crap, the most unstable platform I have ever seen - I was in Sales at a company that was 100% PC and bought a MAC because I couldnt stand the constant crashing and blue screen of death the was the norm in the PC world, not to mention Viruses.  I still have my 667mhz I bough in 2001 - it is running OS 10.4, photoshop CS2 and is still a very usable machine - the most amazing thing ?  It has NEVER crashed ..not once..never had a virus nothing....I had it in my motorcycle saddlebag cross country twice..never a problem.  I have crushed the screen and had to replace it  but that is it.  If you want something that just works get a MAC....If you want a nightmare of an OS get a PC and Run WINDOWS.  My last Windows computer ran Vista and it was a train wreck - Cant speak about Windows 7..all I can say is the only time I have ever had a PC run well was under DOS 6.22...I need to take photographs not be my own I.T. department thats why I use a MAC

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »

For non-technical users, I think Mac is the preferred choice - the way the system is designed and packaged, there's less to go wrong, less up-dating and patching, no AV to worry about.
I think that is a very important point. I would call myself a technical user but when I advise any of my computer-illiterate (or semi-literate) colleagues or friends on which OS to get, I tell them that the Mac OS is superior for those who aren't interested in computers to get things done. I've been saying it for years. It may be that W7 has changed the game a bit; I've heard good things about it but I'm past the stage now when I can be bothered to reassess the situation.

Jeremy

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2011, 09:29:01 pm »

Funny I must be imaging the constant Apple software updates that detail a large number of bug fixes and patches for Apple software, just like with any software ever made.
Snow Leopard had problems with PS until the second update if I recall correctly. I had to tediously uninstall the 10.6.4 update as it messed up my Mac Pro. Leopard was not stable or problem free enough for me to use for work until 10.5.4 and an Apple Genius at the Apple store said he never installed a new Mac OS until bug fix .4 or .5.
I got so fed up with SL running like treacle I decided to install Windows in Boot Camp, but was unable to do so as Bootcamp Assistant refused to run and then suddenly last week it did run despite my having altered or upgraded nothing in mean time. But because my Apple keyboard is buggy [yes really!] I had problems booting back into OSX when Boot Camp Assistant didn't actually work properly. I had to borrow an old Mac keyboard to get around issue.
I installed and ran BootCamp in Leopard no problems with Win7 beta, but with Snow Leopard - no joy it would seem.
As for no AV, my old PCs ran faster than my much newer Mac despite using AV and the only serious problem I ever had with software screwing up my computer was when iTunes decided to unilaterally and destructively mess up my carefully arranged filing system without warning. Though being the suspicious type, I only pointed it at a relatively small subset of files, so 'only' lost a day sorting things out, though if I'd been more sensible, I would have used a copy of the originals to test iTunes on.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up