Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop on Win or OSX  (Read 57882 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Have you tried to install the latest vendor drivers for your Raid card?
Uh, that's what I said I did!
And why it is now working. The drivers that come with Snow Leopard simply don't work and simply cause kernel panics.

Annoyingly, it is just as painfully slow as before all this faffing, so needn't have even bothered.
My Laptop [also SL] is snappier to use, with far less beachballs of doom.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2010, 12:57:53 am »

Quote from: jjj
Annoyingly, it is just as painfully slow as before all this faffing, so needn't have even bothered.

Sorry to hear that.

I have justed installed a Mercury Extreme 200GB SSD in the 3 years old MAc Pro, PS CS5 loads in less than 3 secs. Win 7 64 bits perf index for disk in VM jumped up to 7.2 (still not up to the 7.7 I am getting on my Lenovo work laptop with an Intel SSD, but that must be Fusion).

Cheers,
Bernard

joofa

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2010, 01:24:38 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
Can you take any Mac, boot it to target mode and then access the drives?

Yes, and Target Mode on Macs can be a real life saver sometimes. I recall once I messed up my /usr/lib directory on my Mac laptop (you have to be "root" to do that, which is not activated by default on Macs)  and it immediately froze, of course, consequently. I had no access to any other stuff besides another colleagues' mac laptop and within minutes I hooked up the two laptops and was able to access my drives and adjusted the directory and my mac was back up.

Joofa
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:25:29 pm by joofa »
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

douglasf13

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2010, 01:54:37 pm »

For the last few years, I've been switching back and forth between Mac and PC without much notice.  I generally bought Mac laptops and PC towers, until recently, and now I've constructed the ultimate in blasphemy.  I bought the parts and assembled a PC, but I loaded OSX onto it.  In other words, a "hackintosh."  Quad Core, 8 gigs of ram, multiple hard drives and a 9800 GTX video card for under $1K.  link to how-to

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2010, 10:28:25 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
On the topic of pricing, it may well be true that a top-of-the-line workstation configured to match a mac-pro is in the same ball-park price wise. But the nice thing about the PC platform is that you can stop down to 90% of the performance for about 1/2 the price. And if you go the build-your-own route you can get exactly you want, and make the most of your budget (whatever that budget is).

I agree. I use my sister's Mac when visiting her. it's a great machine but I'll always buy PCs because they offer greater value. A little research on these forums and others and it is easy to compile the components for an excellent pc rig. You can buy the components online from a multitude of dirt cheap online component vendors like newegg.com.
I'd love to drive a Mac and a Ferrari but for my purposes a BMW will do fine.

That said ,I DO find that PCs can slow down after a while and that they do require a regular regimen of cleaning to rid them of internet debris, spyware, defragging ect. But once you know how to do that and schedule these tasks then it isn't an issue.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:34:13 am by Philmar »

pcunite

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2010, 11:40:47 pm »

If you know what you're doing PC's are like high-end cameras, they perform so much better in the hands of a pro. I built a quad processor 8gb box for less than $1000. Then I installed Windows 7 x64 configuring it using LUA+SRP (you must have a pro or higher sku) for this.

* lighting fast system, use ssd if desired
* no viruses or spam thanks to LUA+SRP
* thousands of dollars in savings
* my pick of S-IPS displays

Considering that computers are becoming more important, not less, perhaps you should find some study in the areas I mentioned even if savings is not a concern.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »

Quote from: pcunite
If you know what you're doing PC's are like high-end cameras, they perform so much better in the hands of a pro. I built a quad processor 8gb box for less than $1000. Then I installed Windows 7 x64 configuring it using LUA+SRP (you must have a pro or higher sku) for this.

Considering that computers are becoming more important, not less, perhaps you should find some study in the areas I mentioned even if savings is not a concern.

Good for you - real geeky - now if anyone could make head or tail of this through all your jargon and acronyms it could actually perhaps be useful.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:36 am »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Good for you - real geeky - now if anyone could make head or tail of this through all your jargon and acronyms it could actually perhaps be useful.

I thought SRP was "Suggested Retail Price", but I don't have a clue about LUA. "LUminous Arctic???"  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2010, 09:09:22 am »

google is your friend...
Craig Lamson Photo

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2010, 10:11:38 am »

Quote from: infocusinc
google is your friend...

I have better things to do with my time, sorry.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:05 am »

I have better things to do with my time, sorry.

OK....
Craig Lamson Photo

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2010, 03:37:04 pm »

Limited User Account and Software Restriction Policy

hth - John

oops....

hope this helps....

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:37:50 pm by Joh.Murray »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2010, 05:05:17 pm »

Thanks John :-)

Mark

douglasf13

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »

I just did the same thing and put OSX on it.

Farmer

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2010, 09:31:44 pm »

Quote from: douglasf13
I just did the same thing and put OSX on it.

It'd be nice if Apple wasn't such a closed computing system and actually let you do that legally (even if they warned you they wouldn't support it), instead of it being a licence breach   So much for Steve Jobs being all about open - hah.
Phil Brown

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2010, 03:56:59 pm »

Quote from: nanjeca
I do NOT want to re-ignite the no-win discussion of pc vs mac.

Now that CS5 is announced, yet again as I preprare to upgrade from CS4, I ask if I should convert fromWin7 64-bit on a PC to MAC Pro running OSX.
any comments or help??

Mike

I am reluctant to jump into this discussion, now that it has grown to 7 pages, much of which seems to be PC vs. Mac rhetoric. However, I recently had a similar choice to make: I hope that my reasoning may be of some value to others.

I use the same hardware to run a variety of operating systems: Windows XP, Windows 7, Mac OS 10.6, and Linux Ubuntu (I have a Mac Pro, and a Macbook Pro). Alhtough I have the technical expertise to build my own systems, I choose not to, for reasons which are outside the scope of this posting.

I have Photoshop for both Mac and Windows. In general, the two are about as similar as Adobe can make them. However, I upgraded Photoshop to CS5 on the Mac OS, but not on Windows 7. My personal reasoning ran like this (and please remember that these were my personal reasons - others may have very valid reasons for making a different choice under similar circumstances):

I use a DTP-94 and ColorEyes for monitor calibration. I've found monitor calibration under Windows to be more problematic. This is probably because there are a lot more video cards to support under Windows, plus I think that the Windows API for colour management is a bit less mature than the Mac API. On the other hand, if you should happen to have a problem with a video driver under the Mac OS, there's not a lot you can do about it.

In general, colour management has made significant strides with Windows 7, but still seems to lag a bit behind the Mac OS for system-wide colour management.

On the other hand, support for older hardware seems to be better under Windows. For example, I recently resurrected my old Epson 2200 to print some 44" panoramas. Under the Mac OS, only the latest Epson driver would run, and the latest vesion of Epson's Mac driver limited the print length to 37" (even though the older Mac drivers didn't have this limitation). But under Windows, I had no problem running an older Epson printer driver, which didn't have the length restriction.

In general, Apple seems to quite readily drop support for older hardware, while Microsoft seems to maintain more backward compatibility. This makes the OS interface cleaner with Apple's OS, but forces you to keep your hardware newer.

Adobe uses an obnoxious activation scheme with both Windows and Mac.

I find font management to be cleaner under Mac OS than under Windows.

I can't help contrasting my Windows 7 upgrade experience with my Snow Leopard upgrade experience. Not only was the Snow Leopard upgrade far less expensive, but the Snow Leopard upgrade doesn't burden customers with silly checks for previous versions of the operating system, or onerous activation procedures. The Windows 7 upgrade ate up hours of my time. The Snow Leopard upgrade just worked. Microsoft's stupid activation software, together with their draconian activation policy, guarantees problems for people who want to upgrade their boot drives, or who suffer from a catastrophic disk drive failure.

As always, your mileage may vary...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:54:22 pm by JohnHeerema »

Farmer

Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2010, 06:54:23 pm »

Some good points, but I think you miss a critical factor in regard to upgrades.

Mac doesn't need to check anything, because you can't buy a Mac without buying OS X.  The hardware is the proof that you have the right to upgrade.  Also, the change from XP or Vista to Win 7 is a lot more than the change from Leopard to Snow Leopard, so of course you pay for it.  Many of the paid-for Mac upgrades would be free service packs from MS.

Overall, I think they're very similar in terms of costs.  What you have in terms of ease on OS X (and certainly it IS easier) relates entirely to the fact that it's a closed system.  There are benefits to end users as well as the vendor in a closed system, but there are also disadvantages.
Phil Brown

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2010, 01:53:29 pm »

Interesting analogy! There are incredible cost savings to be had going the PC route if you are willing to put some effort in to researching. I paid my local computer vendor (Canada Computers) $50 to assemble to PC whose components I picked. A little research can go a long way. But some people don't have the time/energy/inclination to do this. i understand that.

I understand your pain. I see similar trepidation in people who are buying a camera for the first time. CMOS sensor?, flash refresh rates, megapixels, focal lengths, frames/second, exposure compensation, maximum ISO value, different metering systems, focusing points...It's all intimidating. no wonder they often end up buying simple P&S'es. But a little research will go a long way for this first time buyer.

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2010, 07:44:03 am »

Quote from: Farmer
It'd be nice if Apple wasn't such a closed computing system and actually let you do that legally (even if they warned you they wouldn't support it), instead of it being a licence breach   So much for Steve Jobs being all about open - hah.

I've never quite worked this one out.  Apple users get to be able to run OS-X and Windows on their boxes yet PC users aren't legally allowed to load OS-X.  I would have considered this to be anti-competitive given that the underlying PC systems are essentially the same.  This is a real problem when one uses PCs entirely but actually want to write software for iPhones (which need to be written under OS-X).
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

tived

• http://
Photoshop on Win or OSX
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2010, 10:26:04 pm »

:-) for short

LUA (Limited User Account)
SRP (Software Restriction Policy)

No more geeky then anything else technical

Henrik
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up