Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CS5  (Read 8878 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
CS5
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:02 am »

Gentlemen,

How about tracking in this thread the list of PS plug-ins compatible with CS5 64 bit on OSX?

Regards,
Bernard

francois

CS5
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:29:23 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Gentlemen,

How about tracking in this thread the list of PS plug-ins compatible with CS5 64 bit on OSX?

Regards,
Bernard
PKS Sharpener is a sure thing but I'll be very interested in other 64-bit compatible plug-ins. Any news for Nik serie plug-ins?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:30:24 am by francois »
Francois

BernardLanguillier

CS5
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:59:25 am »

OnOne annonces support one month after CS5 availability.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/cs5/

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

CS5
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:53:40 am »

OnOne annonces support one month after CS5 availability.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/cs5/

Cheers,
Bernard
That's a good start… Thanks.
Francois

BernardLanguillier

CS5
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »

Quote from: francois
That's a good start… Thanks.

Yes, although I am pretty amazed that other leading plug-in vendors have apparently not announced anything on this topic yet.

If I were Adobe I would try very hard to help them on this topic since many people like me are not going to upgrade until the main plug-ins from onOne, Niksoftware, Topaz,... are 64 bits compatible on OSX.

Cheers,
Bernard

Farmer

CS5
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:28:09 pm »

Yes, although I am pretty amazed that other leading plug-in vendors have apparently not announced anything on this topic yet.

If I were Adobe I would try very hard to help them on this topic since many people like me are not going to upgrade until the main plug-ins from onOne, Niksoftware, Topaz,... are 64 bits compatible on OSX.

Cheers,
Bernard

Many are probably finalising their own work and may reserve an announcement until CS5 actually ships.  Many already have 64 bit for Win (in which case you can reasonably assume they will have an OS X version now).

Others are perhaps smaller vendors who don't have access to pre-release and so won't be able to offer upgrades until after release/shipment.
Phil Brown

jdemott

CS5
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:41:12 pm »

Here is the text of a reply I received from Nik Software when I asked about compatibility of their plug-ins with CS5:

"Currently Nik Software has been diligently testing the beta version of Photoshop CS5 with our products.  While we are aware of a couple issues, described below.  Aside for those issues, the Photoshop CS5 programming code is continually changing and for this reason, we cannot say for certain if our products will be fully compatible upon the final release.

"Once the final version of Photoshop CS5 is released, we will then be able to know entirely what issues, if any, may need to be addressed.  Nik Software is committed to our Photoshop customer install base and should any updates be required, we will address these as soon as possible.  Such updates can take some time to create and get out to our customers.

"In order to ensure a smooth workflow, we recommend waiting to upgrade to Photoshop CS5.  Once we have fully evaluated the final release, and have determined if any updates are required, you can then make an informed decision on when to upgrade to Photoshop CS5.

"There are two know issues that we are aware at this time.  One relates to Windows 64-bit users, and  the other one relates to Macintosh users.  These issues are subject to change until the final release; however, we do not expect these issue to change.  Windows 32-bit users are not affected by these issues.

"For Windows 64-bit Users (XP, Vista, 7):
Photoshop CS5 for Windows will continue run in both 32-bit and 64-bit version.  Those using a Windows 64-bit machines will need to continue to use the 32-bit version of Photoshop CS5 (the same as was the case with Photoshop CS4) for all current products, except for Viveza 2, which is fully compatible with both 32 and 64-bit versions of Photoshop.

"For Mac Users (10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard):
Photoshop CS5 will for the first time, run in 64-bit on Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) and Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).  Currently all Nik Software products are 32-bit compatible.  For this reason, none of our products will work natively in Photoshop CS5 while in the default 64-bit mode.  To work around this issue, until the 64-bit version of Nik Software products are released, Photoshop CS5 will need to be forced into 32-bit mode.

"Typically the user would need to locate the Photoshop CS5 application file (Macintosh HD | Applications | Photoshop CS5.  Once located, select it, press Command + I (apple key + I) to get the Information dialog.  In the information dialog window, midway down there should be a check box that will allow you to select "Run in 32-bit Mode", then close the information window.  Once this is done, each time Photoshop CS5 is launched it will automatically be running in 32-bit mode and all Nik Software product will work as they did in previous versions of Photoshop.

"Nik Software is currently evaluating 64-bit compatibility; however, at this time we do not have any information on when our products will become fully 64-bit compatible."
John DeMott

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
CS5
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »

Quote from: jdemott
"In order to ensure a smooth workflow, we recommend waiting to upgrade to Photoshop CS5. "

Normally, I would be very, very reluctant to pass judgement on another plug-in developer but if Nik Software is actually advocating this (and I have no reason to doubt this language) I gotta say that's horseshit...

It's one thing for a developer to state their policy, compatibility and state when they will offer full support is one thing–but to actually advocate users defer upgrading to a new version is out of line. This is bad juju on Nik's part...and won't endear them to either their users nor Adobe.

Edited to correct typo...
I meant: (and I have no reason to doubt this language) sorry about that!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:50:35 pm by Schewe »

jdemott

CS5
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:42:59 pm »

and I have reason to doubt this language

I'm not sure who or what you're doubting.  The entire text (including all the grammatical errors) was cut and pasted directly from an e-mail I received from Greg Benusa of Nik Software Support this morning.  Whether it represents the official position of Nik senior management I have no way of knowing.  Nik certainly wouldn't be the first company to fall victim to short-sightedness.  I didn't reproduce my original inquiry to Nik, which concluded with the following statement:

"Obviously, the Nik products can only operate with a host program such as Photoshop, so it
seems to me that a purchaser today should expect the Nik product to work
with the current release of the host product."
John DeMott

BernardLanguillier

CS5
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »

I'm not sure who or what you're doubting.  The entire text (including all the grammatical errors) was cut and pasted directly from an e-mail I received from Greg Benusa of Nik Software Support this morning.  Whether it represents the official position of Nik senior management I have no way of knowing.  Nik certainly wouldn't be the first company to fall victim to short-sightedness.  I didn't reproduce my original inquiry to Nik, which concluded with the following statement:

"Obviously, the Nik products can only operate with a host program such as Photoshop, so it
seems to me that a purchaser today should expect the Nik product to work
with the current release of the host product."

I guess that the 2 questions for many OSX potential CS5 upgraders will be:

1. How important is 64 bits for their workflow?
2. How well will PS CS5 work in 32 bits mode?

As far as I am concerned I believe that I would get significat benefits from 64 bits for my applications on my 32GB Ram Mac Pro, but I use Silver eFex a lot. Besides CS5 in 32bits, even if it worked perfect, probably wouldn't have much value for me... so I'll stick to their advise.

The good news for Adobe being that I would not even have considered upgrading without native 64 bits support on OSX. I am really happy that they did their homework on this challenging topic, they have to be praised for this. I am therefore not giving up on upgrading, just delaying the upgrade until Nik Software has a working version of Silver eFex for 64 bits OSX.

Needless to say I will also delay further investement in Nik Software solutions like DFine until they work in 64 bits also.

Cheers,
Bernard

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
CS5
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:02 pm »

I'm not sure who or what you're doubting.

Sorry  that was a typo...my bad!

walter.sk

CS5
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:25:17 am »

Topaz plugins are compatible with CS4 Photoshop 64bit.  I just did some upgrades to all of their programs, and there are 32-bit as well as 64-bit versions.  Unfortunately, each has to be installed individually (twice per title) and then activated individually with the serial code number.  (I saved some typing time by copying the first serial number and pasting it into each subsequent dialogue, but it is still a pain.)

However, on opening PSCS4's 64-bit version, I was gratified to see the Topz choice in the Filters menu!

BernardLanguillier

CS5
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:42:17 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
Topaz plugins are compatible with CS4 Photoshop 64bit.  I just did some upgrades to all of their programs, and there are 32-bit as well as 64-bit versions.  Unfortunately, each has to be installed individually (twice per title) and then activated individually with the serial code number.  (I saved some typing time by copying the first serial number and pasting it into each subsequent dialogue, but it is still a pain.)

However, on opening PSCS4's 64-bit version, I was gratified to see the Topz choice in the Filters menu!

Walter, this is on Win, right?

Cheers,
Bernard

walter.sk

CS5
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:39:00 pm »

Walter, this is on Win, right?

Cheers,
Bernard
Yep, Win7 64 bit.

BernardLanguillier

CS5
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 07:24:58 am »

Interesting update from John Nack on this topic:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/04/onone...lity_notes.html

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

CS5
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:01 am »

francois

CS5
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 01:26:21 pm »

Neat Image (noise reduction) has a new 64-bit compatible Mac version of the plugin (here).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:28:00 pm by francois »
Francois

walter.sk

CS5
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »

ePaper Press PTLens has a 64-bit compatible version that works in PS CS4-64 bit.  Also, NIK's Viveza 2.

Doyle Yoder

CS5
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 09:58:35 am »

Tiffen Dx2 is now 64-bit for Mac.

http://www.tiffen.com/dfx_v2_home.html

Doyle

sturman

• http://www.gefrorene-zeit.de
CS5
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 05:47:39 am »

I guess that the 2 questions for many OSX potential CS5 upgraders will be:

1. How important is 64 bits for their workflow?
2. How well will PS CS5 work in 32 bits mode?

As far as I am concerned I believe that I would get significat benefits from 64 bits for my applications on my 32GB Ram Mac Pro, but I use Silver eFex a lot. Besides CS5 in 32bits, even if it worked perfect, probably wouldn't have much value for me... so I'll stick to their advise.

The good news for Adobe being that I would not even have considered upgrading without native 64 bits support on OSX. I am really happy that they did their homework on this challenging topic, they have to be praised for this. I am therefore not giving up on upgrading, just delaying the upgrade until Nik Software has a working version of Silver eFex for 64 bits OSX.

Needless to say I will also delay further investement in Nik Software solutions like DFine until they work in 64 bits also.

Cheers,
Bernard
The memory situation under CS5 32 bit is worse then with CS4 - check the memory settings of both! CS5 has left a lot less memory over since it seems it needs more for itself (its bult on Cocoa now)..... So, it gets more urgend to have it run in 64 bit mode.

Andy

---  Whatever you do - do it with passi
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up