Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Scanner for my needs  (Read 6715 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Best Scanner for my needs
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 07:38:53 pm »

Jerry, I didn't say it's rocket science. I'm simply pointing out that the manufacturer strongly instructs against it. That said, a web search indicates some people have had this issue and do exactly what you say to fix it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

tived

• http://
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 01:42:41 am »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Peggy thanks. This makes sense. I think one thing with Apple is that the hardware and software bundled with a new computer would be compatible with eachother. The new Macs with "Nehalem" processors, which they describe as follows:

<<The “Nehalem” advantage.
Many quad-core processors are composed of two separate dies, which means some cached data has to travel outside the processor to get from core to core. That’s an inefficient way to access information. Enter the Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem” processor. Its single-die, 64-bit architecture makes 8MB of fully shared L3 cache readily available to each of the four processor cores. The result is fast access to cache data and greater application performance. Combine that with the other technological advances and you get a Mac Pro that’s up to 1.9x faster than the previous generation.
>>

Now perhaps there is better yet coming - there always is, otherwise how would they keep going eh?

Hi Mark,

This has been available on the AMD Opteron Processor for some 5 years by now.

on another note, why are you considering switching to Mac (you can PM me) I am really curious because I work on both, and well....

Henrik

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »

Quote from: tived
Hi Mark,

This has been available on the AMD Opteron Processor for some 5 years by now.

on another note, why are you considering switching to Mac (you can PM me) I am really curious because I work on both, and well....

Henrik
Yes, and has been available on Xeon processors also for several years.

I could PM you - thanks very much - but thought this discussion could be of interest to others as well. Now I am on Windows XP 32 bit. The software and file sizes I'm using really should benefit from a 64 bit platform and more than 4GB RAM. My computer is a 2006 Dell Precision Workstation with Windows XP. It cannot be up-graded to Windows 7 - Dell will not provide the BIOS to do this. I'm also not impressed with the quality of this computer. In the time I've had it, two hard drives and a video card were replaced, so component quality only so-so. One way or another an upgrqde now means changing the computer and rebuilding the system. Once I am into that on PC, I decided to have a rethink and the rethinking has inclined me to change to Mac. Superior quality operating system, superior build quality, better service, much more natural immunity to viruses/malware and no more expensive than a high-end PC.

Anyhow, haven't switched yet, and as you are using both, it would be interesting to hear of your comparative experience.

artobest

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 10:07:37 am »

I have not yet encountered any out-gassing of electronic components or plastic affecting scanner glass in any of the scanners I've ever owned. Not to say it can't happen, and good that it is correctable.

I had this problem with a Canon Canoscan 8600F. Annoying, but only really visible when viewed at an angle, so I wondered whether it truly affected image quality.

Quote from: jerryrock
Please note my point, I have safely removed and cleaned the scanner glass as many others have. It's not rocket science.

This is madness. Scanners are assembled in a hygenic environment. If you open one at home you are bound to introduce dust, which will affect your images far worse than outgassing.

I have some experience of this. My V750 came with a small speck of plastic on the underside of the platen, right in the middle. I sent it back to Epson three times to get it cleaned, and each time it came back with more and more dust accumulating under the platen. In the end Epson, to their credit, agreed that cleaning the underside of the platen was impractical, and replaced the unit with a brand-new one. Good stuff, Epson.

Please don't encourage people to open their scanners!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:08:30 am by artobest »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 10:13:42 am »

Quote from: artobest
Please don't encourage people to open their scanners!

Well, as I mentioned, Epson certainly doesn't - in fact they emphatically tell us not to. They clearly have a reason for that, otherwise they may have made it easier for us to do it, and your experience seems to show what the reason is. But if Jerry succeeded, kudos to him - not to say everyone would necessarily have the same experience.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

Scanners are not air tight. The movement of the scanner head creates a vacuum that pulls air into the body of the scanner through openings occurring around operational buttons and cord entry points. You are bound to get dust or fogging at some point in the scanner's life cycle.

You can pay lots of money to ship your unit back to the manufacturer for cleaning as the previous poster did with poor results, or you can do it yourself as many people do. Check out the scanner forum at Yahoo to find procedures and experiences of people who clean their own scanners.

With the Epson V700/750 you only have to remove four screws located on top of the unit under plastic plastic plugs, in order to access the underside of the scanner glass. A little lens cleaner with a micro fiber cloth and your done.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:30:13 am by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »

You mean the Epson V700/750.

We've been right around this discussion twice - you mentioning the 4 screws and me mentioning Epson's advice not to touch them. I think we've exhausted it.  

AFairley

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »

You mean the Epson V700/750.

We've been right around this discussion twice - you mentioning the 4 screws and me mentioning Epson's advice not to touch them. I think we've exhausted it.

But this has raised a question for me, which is that on the lower third of the bottem planten on my (refurb) V700 I can see some filming on the underside of the glass (similar to what can be caused by outgassing of prints under glass).  However, it can only be seen under certain conditions (strong highly oblique point source light), which leads me to wonder if it actually affects image quality.  The only way I can get it fixed is to take it to a local Epson authorized repair place or do it myself (Epson won't do a straight exchange, it seems), and I just don't believe that the working environment at the repair place is going to be any cleaner than where I would be opening it up, and don't want to get into a loop of opening cleaning closing etc.  So, is this a case of if it aint broke don't fix it, i.e., effect on IQ is negligible, or is this something I should bite the bullet on and take care of?

Thanks

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 12:24:30 pm »

The Epson service facility should be expected to have a sufficiently dust-protected working environment to suit the needs of the repair work they do. I could not say the same for my studio/office to meet similar requirements. Whether the unit is a refurb or not, the glass should be clear and the issues causing the problem should be addressed. There is a risk that unclear glass will produce sub-optimal scans. Scanning is time-consuming, you don't want to waste your time. You can always make a test scan or two of an image with known colours and detail to see whether it is causing problems, and if so I would suggest getting it serviced.

AFairley

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 01:58:44 pm »

The Epson service facility should be expected to have a sufficiently dust-protected working environment to suit the needs of the repair work they do. I could not say the same for my studio/office to meet similar requirements.

You know, the service place (I drive past it on my way to work) looks like any other storefront computer/business machine repair facility, so I dunno.

Your suggestion of a test is good, though, since the filming is only at one end of the platen, I can scan something, flip it 180 degrees and rescan and compare the relevant area to see if I can see any effect. I may take it in even if I can't , just knowing it's there bugs the crap out of me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:59:30 pm by AFairley »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up