Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Software for video and stills integration  (Read 2156 times)

HCHeyerdahl

• http://
Software for video and stills integration
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:03 am »

My next DSLR will have video option. Prehaps I want to use it?

I currently don 't know much about video, however If I want to start playing with integreating video into some of my photography, what software would need?  I am familiar with Photoshop, Indesign and Dreamweaver, and I guess this would make another Adobe product practical, but what do I need in addition to CS5 Design Premium? Would I need the CS5 Maste Collection to do video editing for an integreated photo/video production thing, or can I settle for something less.

Ease of use and/or transfer/integration between applications etc would have a very high priority.

Christopher

joofa

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »

Quote from: ChristopherHeyerdahl
My next DSLR will have video option. Prehaps I want to use it?

I currently don 't know much about video, however If I want to start playing with integreating video into some of my photography, what software would need?  I am familiar with Photoshop, Indesign and Dreamweaver, and I guess this would make another Adobe product practical, but what do I need in addition to CS5 Design Premium? Would I need the CS5 Maste Collection to do video editing for an integreated photo/video production thing, or can I settle for something less.

Ease of use and/or transfer/integration between applications etc would have a very high priority.

Christopher

If you don't require a whole bunch of video editing then Adobe AFter Effects would be great for mixed video/still work. Adobe Premiere would be good for heavy editing work. The good thing is that you can find both in one of those packaged deals, and the great thing about that is then you can use Adobe Dynamic Link to migrate stuff between Premiere and After Effects, that works like a charm and is real deal.

If you start using this combo of After Effects/Premiere may be you would come to the conclusion that I have is that Photoshop is increasingly irrelevant given Adobe After Effects is great with still images, (and you can use those video effects on stills also!) at least for the type of work I have to encounter.

Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

HCHeyerdahl

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:16:54 pm »

Quote from: joofa
If you don't require a whole bunch of video editing then Adobe AFter Effects would be great for mixed video/still work. Adobe Premiere would be good for heavy editing work. The good thing is that you can find both in one of those packaged deals, and the great thing about that is then you can use Adobe Dynamic Link to migrate stuff between Premiere and After Effects, that works like a charm and is real deal.

If you start using this combo of After Effects/Premiere may be you would come to the conclusion that I have is that Photoshop is increasingly irrelevant given Adobe After Effects is great with still images, (and you can use those video effects on stills also!) at least for the type of work I have to encounter.

Thanks, this was really helpfull :-).

Christopher

joofa

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:19:34 pm »

Quote from: ChristopherHeyerdahl
Thanks, this was really helpfull :-).

Christopher

You are welcome. If you are going to use at least moderate editing then I would recommend getting both After Effects and Premiere. You don't have to buy the Master collection, I think there is a special "video bundle" that includes After Effects/Premiere together with Photoshop Extended among a ton of other things that is cheaper than the master collection.

I think as of CS3 if you buy After Effects and Premiere separately then you can't use the Adobe Dynamic Link. You have to get them together in a bundle. If you get them separately, you can still open After Effects files in Premiere and vice versa, but you have to take my word, the dynamic link is amazing - if you have opened Premiere and After Effects at the same time and use dynamic link then any updates in one program are immediately reflected in the other program. It is much better than the "dynamic link" between Apple's Final Cut Pro and Motion/Shake when I used them extensively a few years ago.

Quite possibly you will quickly feel no need to go back to Photoshop!
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:12:53 am »

I have a different twist on this question.

I expect that my videos will be imported into LR3 as that will be my primary workflow tool.   I am considering a light version of video editing software that I'd like to launch by selecting the clip from within LR and using the Edit in (I hope) select your favorite video editing software.  I'd like the same workflow to send the edited clip back to LR.

I will only dabble in video editing but would like to be able to combine these video clips along with still images into a slideshow that combines the two in creative ways.

It is my hope that a package like Adobe Premiere Elements 8 would do the trick for me.    I'd appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on this video editing software or your recommendation on what tool may better do the job.

Win 7, 64bit OS
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

BobFisher

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:52:11 am »

Sony Vegas is another option to look at.  There are a few different versions.  I've used Platinum and Pro.  Platinum is good, Pro is a bit better and has better support for things like still timelapse video and has more features.  Price isn't bad.  It's a reasonably popular and full featured video editing app.

If you want really cheap, look at VirtualDub (Windows only).  It's a free, open source application and there are a large number of plug ins available for it to give it pretty robust editing capability.  And hey, it's free.

If you're an Apple user there's Final Cut.  Pinnacle is the 'cosumer' division of Avid and has what's supposed to be a decent package.  If you want to shell out around $2500 you could go for the Avid option.  

Adam, while LR3 appears to allow you to import video in so much as it will transfer the video clips from the memory card to folder on your computer, it really doesn't do anything more than that.  Does it?  You can't preview the clips in LR or work with them in any way, can you?  Are you able to keyword video clips in LR 3 or otherwise manage them in ways similar to stills?

Adam L

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

I have not used the LR3 beta version yet.   I am in process of upgrading to a new computer system as my PowerPC will not allow me to use LR3.

From what I've read, the video will import into LR and you will have the ability to apply keywords and other Library functionality.  No editing in LR and I don't believe there is any integration into the slideshow feature.   It would be nice to be able to select the clip and use an "edit in" feature to launch video editing software, and have the edited copy reappear back in LR when saved.  A bonus would be a beefed up slideshow within LR that allows us to combine stills and videos with some enhanced Motion features.

BobFisher

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:45:36 pm »

Agreed, Adam.  Those would be nice capabilities for LR to have.  I posted a question on the LR Facebook page asking, essentially, whether there would be consideration given to some sort of more robust video clip integration into LR.  No response.  

Adam L

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »

I take no response as a good sign.  This could mean NDAs are in effect.

Pages: [1]   Go Up