Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge work  (Read 2350 times)

John R

Bridge work
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:12:44 am »

A couple of shots taken at Sunnyside, Toronto, of a great looking and well designed bridge. It spans the mouth of the Humber River and hundreds of people walk over it daily. It is a sight to see at any time, but particularly looking south, when the sun goes down and you are travelling on the QEW highway.

JMR
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:37:21 pm by John R »

francois

Bridge work
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:41:58 am »

Quote from: John R
A couple of shots taken at Sunnyside, Toronto, of a great looking and well designed bridge. It spans the mouth of the Humber River and hundreds of people walk over it daily. It is sight to see at any time, but particularly looking south, when the sun goes and you are travelling on the QEW highway.

JMR
John,
I like them both but they are very different. The first one with the lenticular clouds is very interesting. The cables add rythm and I think that they are almost necessary.
The second one is more abstract. The symetry, the clouds and smooth light make this image look like it's been generated on a computer - almost too perfect. I like the sheltering effect of the metallic structure.

Anyway, two very nice images.
Francois

popnfresh

Bridge work
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:06:59 pm »

# 2 is a cool shot. In the first photo, I just want those cables in the foreground to go away. Were it not for those I think it would be a much better landscape. I like the lenticular clouds. I might have used a longer lens, but I kind of like the distant skyline too.

fredjeang

Bridge work
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:30:54 pm »

I really like them both.
Bravo.

Ps: the city on the first one is Toronto?

Regards

John R

Bridge work
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »

Quote from: francois
John,
I like them both but they are very different. The first one with the lenticular clouds is very interesting. The cables add rythm and I think that they are almost necessary.
The second one is more abstract. The symetry, the clouds and smooth light make this image look like it's been generated on a computer - almost too perfect. I like the sheltering effect of the metallic structure.

Anyway, two very nice images.
Thanks. Of course it was the lenticular clouds that led me take the photo in the first place. I think you are spot on about the rhythmic factor.

JMR

John R

Bridge work
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:07:49 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
I really like them both.
Bravo.

Ps: the city on the first one is Toronto?

Regards
Thanks for the comments. Yes, it is good old Toronto. This style bridge has won awards and is being copied and erected in many other locations. Sometimes only one side has the span-bands, but the design creates the illusion that both sides have it.

JMR
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:59:26 pm by John R »

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Bridge work
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:19:00 pm »

I love the juxtaposition of the harshness of the structure with the softness of the clouds John.

Julie

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Bridge work
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:04 pm »

The second one has great symmetry, but I also like the first one - it's as if the cables are dividers and you're looking at the scene through a (slightly tilted) window.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R

Bridge work
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:06 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
The second one has great symmetry, but I also like the first one - it's as if the cables are dividers and you're looking at the scene through a (slightly tilted) window.

Mike.

"I love the juxtaposition of the harshness of the structure with the softness of the clouds John.

Julie "

Thanks Julie and Mike. Yes the clouds drew me to shoot in the first place. And Mike, when I got back to view the image, the second image did indeed strike me as looking through window or something.

JMR

allenmacaulay

Bridge work
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:03:18 pm »

I've been trying to get good skies on that bridge for ages, but every time I'm there it's either overcast or crystal clear.  I can never seem to get nice clouds like you did.

This is probably the best result I've had to date.
[attachment=22093:IMG_7510.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Bridge work
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:38:35 am »

Hi Allen, and welcome to the list.  I like the geometry of the bridge; having said that, I'd be tempted to clone out the clouds.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up