Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballheads  (Read 11215 times)

francois

Ballheads
« on: October 08, 2003, 11:20:04 am »

Point your browser here..

The Ultimate Ball head is a really nice bh, by the way.  

francois
Francois

Hawkeye

Ballheads
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 04:06:43 am »

Thanks to you both for your response - I have now found all I need - it looks a great bit of kit. I'd better get one!
Regards
Ken

Hawkeye

Ballheads
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 02:03:33 pm »

Francois
Very good point, and noted. It brings to mind why I dispensed with my Gitzo monopod and tripod, both CF and beautiful bits of kit, but what a pain to unwind the twisty bits, particularly in the cold, if I forgot my leather gloves I would end up with very sore hands. Changed to Manfrotto - so much easier to operate, so your comment is very relevant!
Regards
Ken

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Ballheads
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 03:32:20 am »

And here's my 2 cents worth.  My first BH was a Kirk BH-1.  I liked it but wanted somehting liter, so I bought an Acratech.  Other than irritating my fingers all the time--this was before the rubberized knobs--I really didn't like its inability to freely rotate the camera to at least 45 degrees off vertical as all other BHs do.  The Acratech will allow the ball to rotate to 90 degrees in only one panning position, and in all other positions, it rotates less than that.  So one ends up loosening and rotating the pan adjustment to get the 45-degree ball clamp out of the way so one can tilt the camera the way one wants.  It's a little difficult to explain, but I really didn't like it and sold it.  Bought a Kirk BH-3 and was quite happy with that and my Gitzo 1228 until I bought a 1Ds and a 200/1.8 and discovered that the light-weight stuff was too flexible.  I now have my 2nd Kirk BH-1 with a Gitzo 1325.  They're QUITE sturdy for all I want to do.

Some LOVE the Acratech and some don't.  If you decide to try one, be sure to get a return privelege.

Edward

Ballheads
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 02:19:17 pm »

Thanks.  The attraction of a ballhead is the size and weight.  When I do not need to carry things very far, I like to use a really sturdy tripod and head I used for a 4x5 monorail before I gave that up and went back to 35mm. (Loved 4x5, I just found that I was never taking any pictures because it was such a hassle to set up.)

Dennis

Ballheads
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 01:13:58 pm »

To all you BH freaks  ::

I want to add two more outstanding Ballheads:

First a real solid one, just like the Arca Swiss one. It's from FLM (a german brand) and its unique (?) feature is the ability to lock the tilting, so that you can move your camera up and down like with a 2-way-head. I tried it in a pro shop and it works really well, it's pretty cool. There are two sizes (38mm and 58mm ball diameter) of this CB 38/58 FT-A Head (the T stands for tilt lock). There is a version with Arca Swiss QR plates too. See here: http://www.statec-gmbh.de/FLMHauptFrame.htm

The second one is a real myth: The BURZYNSKI Ball Head. I discovered it at Bjorn Rorslett's site (http://www.naturfotograf.com/burzynski.html). Here is another picture: http://www.isarfoto.com/shop.php?show=8151 .
I can't say anything about it unless I want it.
Best Regards

Dennis.

Hawkeye

Ballheads
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 10:30:45 am »

MR has discussed 'Acrotek'(?) ballheads on the VJ - can anyone point me to a website for this equipment?
Regards
Ken

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Ballheads
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 09:25:09 pm »

It is very light for the weight it supports and very rugged, beautifully crafted.

francois

Ballheads
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 04:08:16 am »

Hawkeye,
Just be sure to order the rubber knobs version. Your fingers will thank you.

francois
Francois

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Ballheads
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2003, 01:18:28 pm »

My .02...  I tried the Acratech but ended up getting the small Kirk BH3 instead.  While the Acratech is very well made and lighter in weight than even the Kirk, I found it to want to twist diagonally as I tried to fine-tune any camera position.  It was possibly a defective head, but it drove me nuts.  In the end I returned it and got the Kirk.  FWIW, the Kirk is extremely well built, and in many ways I feel it is superior even to my Arca Swiss B1 -- If I had that to do over again, I'd probably buy the large Kirk BH1 instead of the more expensive Arca Swiss as my large head too.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Edward

Ballheads
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 11:32:10 am »

I can certainly understand the attraction of a ballhead for wildlife, but I am wondering about landscapes.  Shooting things that do not move, I find myself carefully tweaking the x/y axis with a traditional head - a little in each direction, shoot, and check and tweak (digital of course).  Same as you shoot architecture.  Having not used one, I have trouble seeing how a ballhead would let you change the x/y directions independently.  Is that really an issue?

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Ballheads
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 12:38:12 pm »

Edward, Ballheads have independent panning and all-other axes.  One little knob close to the bottom locks the panning movement and the entire upper 'half' of the BH rotates on its base.  The large knob locks the ball which will rotate in any direction.  Many BHs also have a loose-tension adjustment so that one can add a variable amount of friction to the ball when the main knob is loose, so that it doesn't flop about the instant the main knob is loosened.  

One can easily tweak slightly just the camera's level or just its vertical framing without inadvertantly adjusting something else.

If your 3-way head does what you want and you love it, great.  I started my serious forografy with one a few years ago but found a BH easier to use.  There are lots of great products of either type from which to choose.  Isn't life grand?

Willowroot

• http://www.willowroot.ca
Ballheads
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 09:56:17 am »

Has anyone used the Novoflex Magicball, if so what did you think of it?  I'm considering getting one . . .

Jason
Jason Elias
willowroot.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up