Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Leap from CS3 to CS5  (Read 13012 times)

willowsr

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »

I was a loyal and early adopter from PS5.5 right through CS3, but a laggard with CS4.  Could any of The Wise Men comment on making the leap from CS3 to CS5?   My raw processing is done satisfactorily in C1 5, so Camera Raw is not a compelling element.  Also, will Photokit Sharpener (an absolutely essential part of my workflow) play nice with CS5?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:56:45 pm »

Yes, you'll want CS5...

The current PhotoKit Sharpener should work on Windows...PixelGenius will be releasing PhotoKit Sharpener 2 that will be 64 bit capable on the Mac (MacIntel only).

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:22:13 am »

Considering ACR isn't  a compelling feature for you one should know what post-processing you currently do in CS3 before recommending CS5. Would he want CS5 if potentially none of it's upgrade features from CS3 would be used by him?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:06:36 pm »

Quote from: Philmar
Would he want CS5 if potentially none of it's upgrade features from CS3 would be used by him?

Compared to CS3, CS5 has _A LOT_ of features and functionality for photographers so presuming the OP is a photographer he's gonna want CS5π–which is what I said, right?

Farmer

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:15:58 pm »

I think that the new raw processing may also sway the OP from his current processing with C1 - it's at least worth looking at.  As Jeff says, there are also a heap of new photo related features and fixes that are worth the price of admission alone including better photomerge, HDR, content aware fill for some of the headlines.
Phil Brown

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:21:18 am »

I'm not disputing that there aren't a shedload of improvements in CS5 (over CS3) for photographers. But not ALL photographers use them. If he doesn't shoot HDR or stitch panos then MAYBE (<<<notice I said MAYBE) he may not need to upgrade.

I just think we should first know what PP he does in photoshop before we say he definitely wants/needs to upgrade. Photoshop is owned by thousands of photo- hobbyists that don't stitch panos or HDRs.
Personally I'd upgrade from CS3 to CS5 just for the improvements to ACR. Using adjustment layes brushes on RAW files is a BIG deal to me. But for the OP s/he is happy with C1 5.

Listing the upgrades for the OP would be more of a service to him/her than simply saying s/he 'wants' to buy it.
Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

RichGibson

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:29:19 am »

Quote from: Philmar
I'm not disputing that there aren't a shedload of improvements in CS5 (over CS3) for photographers. But not ALL photographers use them. If he doesn't shoot HDR or stitch panos then MAYBE (<<<notice I said MAYBE) he may not need to upgrade.

I just think we should first know what PP he does in photoshop before we say he definitely wants/needs to upgrade. Photoshop is owned by thousands of photo- hobbyists that don't stitch panos or HDRs.
Personally I'd upgrade from CS3 to CS5 just for the improvements to ACR. Using adjustment layes brushes on RAW files is a BIG deal to me. But for the OP s/he is happy with C1 5.

Listing the upgrades for the OP would be more of a service to him/her than simply saying s/he 'wants' to buy it.
Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

I've also been using Photoshop since version 5.  I stopped at CS3 and it sufficed.  The wife and I travel and I have a large number of architectural and landscape shots which might have been top notch but for power lines, a few bystanders etc.  Based on what I've seen context sensitive healing will more than pay for itself for me.

solardarkroom.com

• http://www.solardarkroom.com
The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:38:29 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Yes, you'll want CS5...

The current PhotoKit Sharpener should work on Windows...PixelGenius will be releasing PhotoKit Sharpener 2 that will be 64 bit capable on the Mac (MacIntel only).

Any word on price-point for upgrading to PKS2 for Mac? It's one of the primary reasons I move an image from LR to PS in the first place so I'll want to factor it into the budget.

Thanks,
David

Raw shooter

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 07:48:15 pm »

Hope this helps.  CS5 is a huge upgrade for Mac users, with a 64 bit version of PS.  This alone is worth it, if you have the computer horsepower.
I have used every version since PS3.  I have already updated to CS5.  Only used it for 3 days now, and its a small upgrade for Windows users, so far.  In all honesty, the Bridge Output, being able to save templates and apply my logo to each PDF is quite good. The mini Bridge is cute too, but we will see if that helps.  The 'build and export cache' now works like a charm, finally.  This is great news for giant databases.  A really nice feature that now funtions perfectly.

Outside that, ACR may have some processing upgrades, but no new features.  I use ACR only for RAW processing and already like it a lot.  The ACR noise upgrades are nice for high ISO users, but again, I shoot native ISO and rarely need that upgrade.

In PS, some of the content aware heal-fill upgrades, HDR, are nice for some photographers, although not for my work.  Maybe the new refine edges will apply to my work.  But that's it - for this photographer.

Although I will always upgrade (and did), I would rate CS5 as an A+ for Mac users and a C for Windows users.  This upgrade is all Mac.
I would guess Adobe might agree too.

Farmer

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 05:17:05 am »

Quote from: Raw shooter
Outside that, ACR may have some processing upgrades, but no new features.  I use ACR only for RAW processing and already like it a lot.  The ACR noise upgrades are nice for high ISO users, but again, I shoot native ISO and rarely need that upgrade.

ACR will have new features.  Lens Correction is coming in 6.1.  The noise and sharpening is new, so whilst not new features is done in a different way.

Grain is a new ACR feature.

Is post crop vignetting new, I honestly can't remember and don't have CS4 installed anymore to check ACR 5.x

But there are (and will be by 6.1) new ACR features.
Phil Brown

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 07:52:33 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Yes, you'll want CS5...

Looking forward to that! I appreciate all the improvements in capture sharpening in the various RAW converters including Camera Raw, but I still prefer PKS for output sharpening.
Any hint as to a release date ? :-)

hsmeets

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:39:42 pm »

An other option is to have a serious look at Lightroom (and Aperture if you are on OSX), both are starting to become very capable, in my case (as an example) Aperture 3 and Lightroom 3 can do 90% of what I do with Photoshop currently....
Cheers,

Huib

Ray

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 02:47:47 am »

I don't want to start a new thread on the issue, but I'm puzzled about the upgrade path fron CS3E to CS5E.

I can find no reference to it. I can find a price for CS3 to CS5E. I can find a price from CS4E to CS5E. But I cannot find a price from CS3E to CS5E.

There must be some rational explanation. No?

francois

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 08:32:26 am »

Quote from: Ray
I don't want to start a new thread on the issue, but I'm puzzled about the upgrade path fron CS3E to CS5E.

I can find no reference to it. I can find a price for CS3 to CS5E. I can find a price from CS4E to CS5E. But I cannot find a price from CS3E to CS5E.

There must be some rational explanation. No?
Ray,
I don't know if this applies to the extended edition of Photoshop but I was able to upgrade from Photoshop CS3 (standard edition) to CS5 (standard). In fact, I don't think that I needed to specifiy if I was running CS3 or CS4. Just check out eligible versions from which Adobe allows you tu upgrade.
Francois

Ray

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 07:54:10 pm »

Quote from: francois
Ray,
I don't know if this applies to the extended edition of Photoshop but I was able to upgrade from Photoshop CS3 (standard edition) to CS5 (standard). In fact, I don't think that I needed to specifiy if I was running CS3 or CS4. Just check out eligible versions from which Adobe allows you tu upgrade.

You appear to be right. On the Adobe Australia website there's only one upgrade price to Photoshop CS5E. It doesn't appear to make any difference whether one is upgrading from CS2, CS3, CS4, CS4E, or CS5. There's just one upgrade price - A$532. It certainly simplifies matters but doesn't seem quite right.

Since I paid a premium to get CS3E I would have expected the upgrade price from CS3E to CS5E to be slightly less than the upgrade price from CS3 to CS5E. I suppose I could save myself $225 by upgrading from CS3E to CS5 and continue to use CS3E for the odd occasion when I need some of the additional features of the Extended version, such as the stacking feature useful for eliminating tourists.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 11:58:14 am »

Quote from: Ray
Since I paid a premium to get CS3E I would have expected the upgrade price from CS3E to CS5E to be slightly less than the upgrade price from CS3 to CS5E. I suppose I could save myself $225 by upgrading from CS3E to CS5 and continue to use CS3E for the odd occasion when I need some of the additional features of the Extended version, such as the stacking feature useful for eliminating tourists.
You might want to check whether there's anything in CS5 Extended that you actually need. Some of the features originally introduced in CS3 Extended are now part of the standard product, I believe. It seems Adobe is targeting the extended version almost exclusively to 3D and video.

Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Ray

The Leap from CS3 to CS5
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
You might want to check whether there's anything in CS5 Extended that you actually need. Some of the features originally introduced in CS3 Extended are now part of the standard product, I believe. It seems Adobe is targeting the extended version almost exclusively to 3D and video.

Thanks! I shall. But right now I'm preparing for a grand trip to Europe and Russia. I shan't be buying an upgrade till I return. I'm mainly concerned about the stacking options to reduce noise, useful for handheld shots in poor light, and removing tourists from a scene when a tripod is available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up