Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New MAc Book Pro's released Core I7's at last  (Read 15623 times)

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
New MAc Book Pro's released Core I7's at last
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 04:00:45 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Towers?!!!  Where's Towers?!!!  Current lineup is 444 days old.  Stupid Jobs and his stupid iPad, can we get some friggin COMPUTERS?!!!

Ok.  Maybe I'm a little annoyed about this.

After so long, I think they are just ****ing with us at this point  

choen

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 04:40:47 pm »

Quote from: pixjohn
I am also waiting for a new tower, but I did just get a 17inch i7.

Its a good thing I have 2  computers and a cinema display on location. I set up the new macbook and  tested with DB. When I was on location the Aptus back would not connect? I ended up shooting on the other computer.  I proceed out the job on the macbook and have to say it is much faster then the first Macbook pro's. I want to get a a express card to add 2 more firewire  ports. The other strange design is my apple  mouse cord is to short to reach around to the usb plugs  on the left side of the computer.

Ah, so it's true, the firewire port is underpowered!

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 01:58:08 am »

Quote from: choen
Ah, so it's true, the firewire port is underpowered!
I ordered the 17" three days ago, hope to receive it next week.
Will test the AptusII7 right away, if it doesn't work I'm afraid I'm stuck with my old 17" MBP forever

gss

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 02:18:13 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Will test the AptusII7 right away, if it doesn't work I'm afraid I'm stuck with my old 17" MBP forever

You are not necessarily stuck with the old MBP.  A firewire repeater with at least 9.6 V should be able to make up for the lack of proper power from your laptop.  For my older Aptus 22, I was able to tether to my MBP by using a Laird LTM-FDR repeater.  That one won't work for you as it is Firewire 400 rather than Firewire 800, but I am sure you can find one that will work for you.

This is a kludgy solution, but it does work.  We can only hope that Apple will decide to support Firewire properly in its future pro laptops.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 02:32:43 am »

This is exactly why I ordered the 15" with the highres antiglare screen and the i7. Do you really need a 17"? I always found it too big but ofcourse YMMV. I just wished I would have bought the OWC SSD instead of the Crucial.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:33:36 am by Dustbak »

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 02:56:14 am »

Yeah I really want the 17" on location when teaching workshops every inch helps.
A repeater won't help me because I often run without power on location, so when the firewire is indeed under powered the laptop will be returned I'm afraid (hope that's possible with the antiglare special order).

On the other hand, the same story was going round with the previous 17" and that one runs just fine.

Hans_de_Kort

• http://www.hansdekort.nl
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 06:23:05 am »

Working with my I7 since this week, with glossy screen, great macine, no beachballs anymore, just ordered a 150 Hypermac external battery for more energy.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 06:33:03 am »

Quote from: Hans_de_Kort
Working with my I7 since this week, with glossy screen, great macine, no beachballs anymore, just ordered a 150 Hypermac external battery for more energy.
No problems with a digital back ?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 08:32:58 am »

Quote from: Hans_de_Kort
Working with my I7 since this week, with glossy screen, great macine, no beachballs anymore,

No beachballs? OK, I'm sold. Every time I open more than a few files in ACR on my old Macbook Pro, I have to sit and stare at beachballs with Every. Single. Adjustment. Gets old fast.

With any luck the new 17-inch i7 will arrive next week.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

gss

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:56 am »

Yeah I really want the 17" on location when teaching workshops every inch helps.
A repeater won't help me because I often run without power on location, so when the firewire is indeed under powered the laptop will be returned I'm afraid (hope that's possible with the antiglare special order).

On the other hand, the same story was going round with the previous 17" and that one runs just fine.
You can power the firewire repeater with a battery pack, enabling you to work on location.  It adds another level of annoyance, but it does work.

I really wish Leaf had allowed people to tether and use battery power simultaneously, as Phase does, or that Apple would be more consistent in providing sufficient power from their firewire ports.

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 03:30:31 am »

working with my 15" on lacation great for downloading files or exporting
but way too slow for any photoshop grunt

really feel apple is not supporting the people anymore, who supported them in the beginning;
all the creatives from designers to photographer

for the pro end they do things too slow and too little
from un-calibratable screens to computers that are way behind compared to competitors

i think more and more they will go the mass market route ipod, iphone, ipad  and ilaptops
great for the facebook-skype generation!

still i am a sucker for the ease, the slick design and the marketing look

K.C.

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 04:23:21 am »

Quote from: marc gerritsen
really feel apple is not supporting the people anymore, who supported them in the beginning;
all the creatives from designers to photographer

It's true, they've focused on a broader consumer based market. But that's the reason they're still in business. Had they kept the emphasis on the 'Pro' market they wouldn't have as many new Mac sales, those that are driven by PC users who got an iPod or iPhone and it gave them an introduction to the Apple approach to technology.

for the pro end they do things too slow and too little
from un-calibratable screens to computers that are way behind compared to competitors

They stopped trying to compete in the Monitor business because that market segmented heavily. Low buck Samsungs in the aisle at Costco and high-res color accurate systems that serve a very limited market. Both segments of the market are tuff to make a profit in.

i think more and more they will go the mass market route ipod, iphone, ipad  and ilaptops
great for the facebook-skype generation!

You meant to say, they have gone to and will continue to serve the mass consumer market.

Be thankful for that. It's allowed them to buy a number of companies and move them away from complete dependence on Intel and the like. They're not there yet, but that's the clearly the path they're taking.I think the best Pro machines are still to come, and with fewer component shortages to hold them back.

David Duchesne

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 08:01:39 am »

Quote from: pixjohn
I am also waiting for a new tower, but I did just get a 17inch i7.

Its a good thing I have 2  computers and a cinema display on location. I set up the new macbook and  tested with DB. When I was on location the Aptus back would not connect? I ended up shooting on the other computer.  I proceed out the job on the macbook and have to say it is much faster then the first Macbook pro's. I want to get a a express card to add 2 more firewire  ports. The other strange design is my apple  mouse cord is to short to reach around to the usb plugs  on the left side of the computer.

Rant below...

I have the  2 old macbook pro- core 2 duo.  The graphics card went last nov. and apple installed a new motherbooard even though it was 8 mo. out of warranty  

The lack of 3/4 slot in newer mac book pros is a major concern as the this computer backs up my 8 core mac pro.  I need the  external raid hardrives driven through the e-sata card. We are being driven to buy the 17in just to get the 3/4 slot.  A step in the wrong directions for apple in treating the professional media community.

The battery on my Mac book had to be replaced after 1.5 years, fine but the  real problem is the dicky do power brick.  Just too easy to fray.  My sons and I have stacks of dead bricks from previous models of macbook pro and macbooks.  They are not built to a professioanl standard and there is no battleship 3rd party alternative.  A very weak link indeed.  I would pay real money for a well engineered alternative but the lack of the 3/4 slot in the 15 inch line has me looking real hard at windows based books- and I am a very dedicated apple person.

Currently my son, almost finished a degree in computer engineering, is shaking his head every time I buy a mac (like my i7 27 in mac last month) and he was weaned on mac.  I can't video skype him because the powerbrick on his mac pro just died.  His current HP book, supplied by a company he works for, has no video   but otherwise works to a professioal standard).

Apple has its mind on the rollout of these cute and useless ipads and is slowly abandoning the professional media community to attract the hordes to glitzy poorly designed bling (iphones and i pads)  Their stock is worth investing in,the hordes do spend wildly-  but they are ignoring their roots in superb and robust design standards with totally integrated software.

Lastly my son has been working on a video project on my 8 core mac pro with the latest latest final cut pro .  It is so buggy-- crashes at the worst times- and he knows software.  It really goes to molasses if you try to edit full HD so we opt to stick to  the SD format.

I know I am ranting...but I am becoming very frustrated with Apple.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »

Quote from: David Duchesne
Apple has its mind on the rollout of these cute and useless ipads and is slowly abandoning the professional media community to attract the hordes to glitzy poorly designed bling (iphones and i pads)

Only thing is that the pro media community, specifically designers and photographers were/ are the first to buy those glitzy bling bling gadgets....
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

choen

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:30 am »

By the way, can the new 13 inch version run Phocus?

A nice small laptop for on location tethering would be nice.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 12:12:47 pm »

[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Only thing is that the pro media community, specifically designers and photographers were/ are the first to buy those glitzy bling bling gadgets....

We know. Don't rub it in. I just got message my spanking new i7 15"MBP has been shipped  The only remaining dilemma is whether I shall get another SSD or whether I shall replace the DVD drive with a bracket with a 2nd SSD...

You know what?

I will hold off a bit longer on my next MFDB to make up for this new laptop
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:21:55 pm by Dustbak »

bcooter

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 01:14:43 pm »

Quote from: yaya

True, and Apple can drive us all crazy, but you have to remember, some machines we produce work with, some machines we use to procure work and at this stage procuring is equally as important as producing.

If someone had told me 10 years ago that I could walk into a client's office, with one single flat device and show a "print" portfolio, video, interactive imagery, estimates, creative treatments on one wireless device I would have laughed.

Now the I-pad may not be the standard and obviously it's I-pad version 1, but this device will make me more money than any imaging computer in my studio.

Since we're in a transitional phase of our industry it won't always replace a printed portfolio and obviously is not the machine to tether large images to, but to not own one and know it's true potential is like not knowing how to drive a car in L.A.

You can do it, but your gonna miss a lot.

BC

gwhitf

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 01:36:47 pm »

I am looking to replace my Tower. Today, a response arrived from a very trusted source. He said that the WWDC is June 7-11, and good chance something nice to be announced then. He advised me to sit tight.

fredjeang

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 02:13:17 pm »

Quote from: David Duchesne
Rant below...

I have the  2 old macbook pro- core 2 duo.  The graphics card went last nov. and apple installed a new motherbooard even though it was 8 mo. out of warranty  

The lack of 3/4 slot in newer mac book pros is a major concern as the this computer backs up my 8 core mac pro.  I need the  external raid hardrives driven through the e-sata card. We are being driven to buy the 17in just to get the 3/4 slot.  A step in the wrong directions for apple in treating the professional media community.

The battery on my Mac book had to be replaced after 1.5 years, fine but the  real problem is the dicky do power brick.  Just too easy to fray.  My sons and I have stacks of dead bricks from previous models of macbook pro and macbooks.  They are not built to a professioanl standard and there is no battleship 3rd party alternative.  A very weak link indeed.  I would pay real money for a well engineered alternative but the lack of the 3/4 slot in the 15 inch line has me looking real hard at windows based books- and I am a very dedicated apple person.

Currently my son, almost finished a degree in computer engineering, is shaking his head every time I buy a mac (like my i7 27 in mac last month) and he was weaned on mac.  I can't video skype him because the powerbrick on his mac pro just died.  His current HP book, supplied by a company he works for, has no video   but otherwise works to a professioal standard).

Apple has its mind on the rollout of these cute and useless ipads and is slowly abandoning the professional media community to attract the hordes to glitzy poorly designed bling (iphones and i pads)  Their stock is worth investing in,the hordes do spend wildly-  but they are ignoring their roots in superb and robust design standards with totally integrated software.

Lastly my son has been working on a video project on my 8 core mac pro with the latest latest final cut pro .  It is so buggy-- crashes at the worst times- and he knows software.  It really goes to molasses if you try to edit full HD so we opt to stick to  the SD format.

I know I am ranting...but I am becoming very frustrated with Apple.
I do too.

Mac are each time cheaper here, but they are each time worst. What is really expensive is their gadgets.
Pc are each time better, even windows is improoving while Apple seems to focus in other stuff.
mmm...

I runned both Pc and Mac and years ago I was using 95% Mac, now it's been a long time since I have not touched a Mac.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe not...  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up