Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR 6.0 Workflow Option  (Read 7341 times)

ravel03

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:26:15 pm »

Hi,

Been watching some of the CS5 videos but failed to see if the Workflow Option was 'improved' in ACR 6.0. Mainly, I was looking for a way to set whatever dimension at whatever resolution instead of the fixed dimension ACR 5.x currently offers. Question for Jeff. Has this been changed?

BTW, the lens correction feature will be a real treat. I gather that it's something that will also be available in LR3 when GM releases.

Raw shooter

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:45:15 pm »

ravel,

You can currently set any dimension and ppi resolution now in ACR5.x.  The Custom Crop feature is your friend!

ravel03

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:09:18 pm »

Quote from: Raw shooter
ravel,

You can currently set any dimension and ppi resolution now in ACR5.x.  The Custom Crop feature is your friend!

I'm looking for something akin to Lightroom export dialog where you can specify Image Sizing options such as Width&Height, Resolution etc. Using Images Sizing together with Output Sharpening, and Workflow Option suddenly becomes your best friend. Especially once you cropped the image to a given aspect ratio.

I believe the interpolation in ACR is as good as PS, so it'd be nice to be able to do everything in ACR if there's no need to go to PS.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:11:29 pm »

Quote from: ravel03
Been watching some of the CS5 videos but failed to see if the Workflow Option was 'improved' in ACR 6.0.

Nope...

ravel03

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:36:22 pm »

Too bad. This prevents me of making proper use of the Output Sharpening built into the Workflow Option. I guess I'll continue using PS actions (as in Resize + PKS Output Sharpening) in conjunction with Image Processor then. This is good business for Pixel Genius.

Raw shooter

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:55:28 pm »

Too bad. This prevents me of making proper use of the Output Sharpening built into the Workflow Option. I guess I'll continue using PS actions (as in Resize + PKS Output Sharpening) in conjunction with Image Processor then. This is good business for Pixel Genius.

Perhaps, you may not understand that the Custom Crop feature in ACR can apply to a whole folder of images at once, as there is no need to resize once in Photoshop. You don't have to accept one of the 7 options in the drop down box.  
Under Custom Crop, select Pixels - then type in your final image dimension. (make certain that you have selected all the images 1st)  Now your saved images will be the correct size, or pixel dimension, without using Photoshop actions or image processor.  And of course, the pixel dimension you selected already has an aspect ratio based on your numbers.

But you are correct, in that the Output Sharpening of ACR 5, although resolution dependent, isn't quite the same as the fine sharpening controls in Photoshop. (Also not Pixel Genius plugins, but the native Photoshop sharpening tools)  Sad to hear that won't change or be updated in ACR 6.

Sorry in advance if you are referring to something different.

ravel03

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »

Quote from: Raw shooter
Perhaps, you may not understand that the Custom Crop feature in ACR can apply to a whole folder of images at once, as there is no need to resize once in Photoshop. You don't have to accept one of the 7 options in the drop down box.  
Under Custom Crop, select Pixels - then type in your final image dimension. (make certain that you have selected all the images 1st)  Now your saved images will be the correct size, or pixel dimension, without using Photoshop actions or image processor.  And of course, the pixel dimension you selected already has an aspect ratio based on your numbers.

Indeed, I didn't understand what you meant by Custom Crop. Now I do,  and I have to admit that it's an original way to achieve what I wanted (custom sizing and Output Sharpening without ever leaving ACR). This kind of proves the point that ACR really has all it needs to achieve what I think is a more elegant solution: that is, simple sizing boxes right in the main Workflow Option dialog box.

Too bad it didn't make the cut for the 6.0 release, but not the end of the world. There will eventually be 6.1...

Thanks for the tip 'Raw shooter': I've learned something new.

Schewe

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »

Too bad it didn't make the cut for the 6.0 release, but not the end of the world. There will eventually be 6.1...

Won't be 6.1 either...not until "next time".

The fact is, "Cocoa Consumes All" is a phrase that has echoed down the halls of Adobe. The effort to go from Carbon to Cocoa on the Mac has caused EVERYTHING to be adjusted based on how much time had to be devoted to Cocoa API's and you can thank Steve Jobs for that requirement...

ravel03

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Won't be 6.1 either...not until "next time".

The fact is, "Cocoa Consumes All" is a phrase that has echoed down the halls of Adobe. The effort to go from Carbon to Cocoa on the Mac has caused EVERYTHING to be adjusted based on how much time had to be devoted to Cocoa API's and you can thank Steve Jobs for that requirement...

Forced Cocoa, lack of Flash support on the iPhone/iPad. Things are tensed... Anyone noticed the various demos on Adobe TV and how the presenters Macbooks were completely "masked out".

Schewe

ACR 6.0 Workflow Option
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:48 am »

Forced Cocoa, lack of Flash support on the iPhone/iPad. Things are tensed... Anyone noticed the various demos on Adobe TV and how the presenters Macbooks were completely "masked out".

It ain't Adobe that is causing the, uh, tension...just saying (as an Apple guy from way back).

As I recall, Apple has forced;
68K to PPC
System 9.x to 10.x
PPC to MacIntel
Metroworks to Xcode for compiling (requiring Universal Binaries)
Carbon to Cocoa for 64 bit computing...

In the same time frame, Adobe has had to deal with going from Windows ME to XP to Vista to Windows 7...all of which was supported and helped by MSFT (and Intel).

As an independent plug-in developer that has had to migrate all the forced Mac paths, I can tell you it's really, really tough being a developer for the Mac platform–much, much tougher than need be...
Pages: [1]   Go Up