Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto/Bacht Multispot- any users??  (Read 7231 times)

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Profoto/Bacht Multispot- any users??
« on: April 10, 2010, 06:05:40 pm »

I've been tossing around the idea of getting the Profoto(bacht) Multispot with the dedo attachment. Im trying to achieve dense razor sharp shadows. Ive tried a few different things in

the past and so far the best i can get is with the Hardbox. If I had taller ceilings I think with some more patience the  hardbox could satisfy me but i feel there is still a better option.

Anyone using the multispot and care to share?

kingsize

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:31:52 am »

Hello, we are Bacht agents in New Zealand, and have had this unit in rental for over a year. It has been very popular, and is really the prefect solution for many different applications: fashion, still life, auto, architectural, special effects, etc.
If you have ever used the classic Dedo tungsten lamps, then you will immediately appreciate this functionality in a flash unit. Also given their size and weight, they are extremely power and light efficient.

Adam Custins
www.kingsize.co.nz

Quote from: klane
I've been tossing around the idea of getting the Profoto(bacht) Multispot with the dedo attachment. Im trying to achieve dense razor sharp shadows. Ive tried a few different things in

the past and so far the best i can get is with the Hardbox. If I had taller ceilings I think with some more patience the  hardbox could satisfy me but i feel there is still a better option.

ctz

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:55:08 am »

I've been tossing around the idea of getting the Profoto(bacht) Multispot.

I have one with dedo attachment, I use it mainly for still life, but not too much.
The max output is 1200Ws, (regardless if you have more power from your generator) and you cannot fire it more than 8 times a minute at full power.
For still life this might not sound like a problem, but sometime is.
For now, just some drawbacks

The edge of the focusable spot is very sharp, of course, as it is for gobos, but I doubt that you can use it to have the same effect (i.e. hard edges for all shadows) as for hardbox.

C.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:43:18 am »

Hi Klane,

like ctz already said you will feel limited in light output and flash duration. I don´t know what you are planning to do with it but it is definitely not the light source for a big area or for fashion. You will receive a very uniform light, which is very crisp and will indeed produce a razor sharp shadow, it has a sharp fall off of the light at the edges. Imagine something like the beam of a slide projektor. Once you need this effect it can hardly be achieved in another way, but I suppose you might use the fresnel more often on its own. Try to rent it before you buy it!
If you already have a fresnel, try to use it without the front lens and with barn doors or cutters.

Cheers Ulf

klane

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 03:27:05 pm »

Quote from: UlfKrentz
Hi Klane,

like ctz already said you will feel limited in light output and flash duration. I don´t know what you are planning to do with it but it is definitely not the light source for a big area or for fashion. You will receive a very uniform light, which is very crisp and will indeed produce a razor sharp shadow, it has a sharp fall off of the light at the edges. Imagine something like the beam of a slide projektor. Once you need this effect it can hardly be achieved in another way, but I suppose you might use the fresnel more often on its own. Try to rent it before you buy it!
If you already have a fresnel, try to use it without the front lens and with barn doors or cutters.

Cheers Ulf

My usage will be for still life/product. Ive used one of profotos larger older focusing zoom spot and for smaller objects it couldnt quite get the effect I need and it was bulky.  If you

have the time posting a photo with the dedo used focused would probably help me out a lot.

Thanks Kyle

kingsize

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:27:39 am »

The unit I am talking about is this:

Bacht SSP80 (spotlights section)
http://www.bacht.net/english/index.html

1   To answer some of the responses above. The flash duration is controlled by the pack, not the head. We have been using the SSP80 with the Broncolor Verso and Scoro which both require the heavy duty tube. There has been no limitation to flash duration, recycle or rapid continuous use.

2   The tube will actually cope with 3200 but only for a short time before it will cut out due to thermal overload / overload. Therefore it is nominally rated at 2000w/s to preserve the life of the tube.

3   Light distribution: while there is a limitation to the physical spread you can achieve with the Dedo attachment, we have had many users shoot full length fashion with it. The unit maybe small, but due to it's architecture it is very efficient.

4   Uses: this would have to be one of the most versatile flash heads on the market. We have more people shooting non-still life applications with this unit which has been surprising. If you need to fake sunlight in a set in studio or location / fashion-portraiture / using like a continuous light fresnel & shooting through diff frame / can be used with Chimera / and is compatible with the Dedo attachments.

nb: points #1 & 2 are backed up by advice from Bacht, but I want to be sure we are all discussing the same unit, as my experience sounds different to some other posters. I have no immediate examples I can show you but I would recommend you hire one and try it out, or see a Bacht agent.

Adam Custins

BJNY

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:40:54 am »

May I know approximate cost of Bacht SSP80 with heavy duty tube for Broncolor or Profoto?

I own a PulsoSpot, which can be used up to 3200ws without limitation of flashes per minute.

Thank you,
Billy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:31:09 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

AlDoori

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:39:07 am »

I've been tossing around the idea of getting the Profoto(bacht) Multispot with the dedo attachment.

with dedo attachment the bacht/profoto multispot indeed seems to have a similar light quality like the bron pulsospot 4 with projector lens.
as bjny wrote, the pulsospot can stand 3200w/s without limit.

The MultiSpot has a built-in flashtube, which increases the efficiency and gives 100% conformity of model and flash light for total light control.
Frosted, removable Fresnel lens with 80 mm diameter for high efficiency.
Optional clear Fresnel lens for faster light fall-off and more character.
From 10°-40° zoomable light spread offers individual adjustments of the light beam.
Optional Dedolight®attachment to projectgobo’s, patterns and pin spots from a short distance.
Active fan cooling allows continuous use.
Integrated support for filters and optional barn doors.
Bright 300 W halogen model lamp and up to 1200 Ws flash capacity.

http://www.profoto.com/products/profoto/li...ghts/multi-spot

kingsize

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:37:02 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
May I know approximate cost of Bacht SSP80 with heavy duty tube for Broncolor or Profoto?

I own a PulsoSpot, which can be used up to 3200ws without limitation of flashes per minute.

Thank you,
Billy

Dear Billy,

If you check the Bacht site, they have a list price for all their equipment in Euros if I recall. I am away from the office at the moment, but I can let you know our local price NZD but it is essentially the same as the Euro list. If there is not a local agent for you we can perhaps arrange shipment, but I am going to refer this discussion to Bacht directly as they are extremely friendly people open to direct contact.

Cheers, Adam Custins
www.kingsize.co.nz/news

ctz

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:33 pm »

Hope this helps.
A quick and unscientific comparison.
Developed in Capture One, same settings, no fill, no cut.

Please note that I used ISO100  and a lot more power for multispot, ISO50 for the other lightshapers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:30:17 pm by ctz »

klane

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:57:07 pm »

CTZ thank you so much. Is the Multispot photo with or without the dedo?

ctz

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:54:48 pm »

CTZ thank you so much. Is the Multispot photo with or without the dedo?

With Dedo. Forgot to mention. The lens position has effect only for the spot size and spot edge definition. The objects shadows definition doesn't change at all, regardless of the (Dedo) zoom or spot setting.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:07:13 am by ctz »

klane

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:32:27 am »

ctz...Very interesting. I might consider buying one in the near future. Overall I think the hardbox does a pretty great job though. If anyone wants me to post a sample of the hardbox i can.

ctz

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:59:05 am »

ctz...Very interesting. I might consider buying one in the near future. Overall I think the hardbox does a pretty great job though. If anyone wants me to post a sample of the hardbox i can.

In this case (very crisp shadows) all you need is a point light. A bare flash tube does the job. To cut the parasite light you can buy a hardbox at 6-700 Euros (if you need that kind of light/shadow often) or wrap the tube in black cinefoil if you need it rarely.

klane

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 01:02:25 am »

Thats what I was doing before the hardbox
Pages: [1]   Go Up