Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using step up rings  (Read 3761 times)

francois

Using step up rings
« on: February 24, 2005, 03:42:55 am »

I use a step-up ring with 77mm filters for my "smaller" lenses. I've not seen any difference! I should have done comparisons but it's time consuming.
One thing that can cause problems is vignettting with wide angle lenses. A step-up (or down) ring puts the filter about 1mm away from the front element (compared to no step ring).

Francois
Francois

francois

Using step up rings
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 04:59:00 am »

I use a 67mm to 86mm stepup ring for my wideangle lenses, works fine and vignetting has not been a problem so far.

You should look out for some quality, cheap aluminium rings react on cold temperatures and might be hard to un-/mount, try to get something more stable from Heliopan or B+W.

I haven't seen any problem with my lenses but this vignetting issue is the only one that comes across my mind.
Temperature reaction is a good point to look for. Having a step-up ring stuck to your filter can be embarrassing. Well, in a pinch you can always add a step-down ring (or vice-versa)    

Francois
Francois

francois

Using step up rings
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:53:35 am »

I don't know about embarrasing but too bloody annoying!
About ten days ago, I wanted to demonstrate the use of polarizers at night. I was the only one who had one but unfortunately it was a 77mm filter and everyone had 72mm or smaller lenses. I took a step ring from my bag and put it on my filter... Every photographer could use it but when I wanted to remove the ring to put the filter on my lens it was stuck. That night was bloody cold and my filter was a thin version, well you got the picture.... I was the only one who could not use my own filter.

Annoying & embarrassing!  :cool:
Francois

francois

Using step up rings
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 10:13:25 am »

Lens hoods & step-up rings are a bit of a PITA. I've managed to use them together. The trick is to attach the hood before you put the ring on. - I think it's the only way to use them both. If you use a polarizer, rotating the filter can be a problem if your hood is deep. If memory serves, Jonathan Wienke had a nice setup on a 70-200. He used a dremel tool to make a small notch in the hood to rotate the filter.

Francois
Francois

francois

Using step up rings
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 11:33:17 am »

Actually, it was a 35-350L:
Sorry for being inaccurate about the 70-200 vs 35-350!  

Francois
Francois

Stef_T

Using step up rings
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 05:56:10 pm »

Hi,

The lens that I am most internested in buying now, the 17-85mm, has a filter attachment of 58mm. However other lenses down the road would almost certainly have something bigger. So should I hestitate for any reason in considering getting two filters, or will there be no quality loss if I use a 77mm filter and a step up ring to fit on the lenses who have a smaller filter attachment? Also, if this is the best course of action, is there anything that I should look for in a step up ring, or are they all more or less the same? And lastly, is it possible to use a lens cap with the step up ring, or does it get in the way?

Thank you for your help.

Stefan

schaubild

Using step up rings
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 03:52:52 am »

I use a 67mm to 86mm stepup ring for my wideangle lenses, works fine and vignetting has not been a problem so far.

You should look out for some quality, cheap aluminium rings react on cold temperatures and might be hard to un-/mount, try to get something more stable from Heliopan or B+W.

P.S. The reason for this quite big step up is not vignetting, but the lens filter thread is 67mm, the additional center filter goes up to 86mm.

Ben Rubinstein

Using step up rings
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 06:05:44 am »

Temperature reaction is a good point to look for. Having a step-up ring stuck to your filter can be embarrassing

I don't know about embarrasing but too bloody annoying! I once had to set out on an urgent shoot (the light was great!  :D ) My step up ring that I needed for the polariser was stuck to a colour correction filter. I couldn't get it off so I smashed it, picked out the glass and went on the shoot. To this day I still use that weird step up filter with an extra ring!

Stef_T

Using step up rings
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 08:11:21 am »

Thank you for your help,

I'll make sure to get one that won't stick as much. Too bad they don't make them out of carbon fibre or teflon. Has anyone ever used one with a lens hood? Where there any problems with that setup?

Thank you once again,

Stefan

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Using step up rings
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 11:05:10 am »

Actually, it was a 35-350L:

I Dremeled out a section of the rib in the hood that serves as a light baffle, but I wasn't using a step-up ring/larger filter, just a CPL. A larger filter would be an interference fit.

howard smith

Using step up rings
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 11:21:21 am »

The sticking problem may be from one or both of two things.  

Dissimilar metals, aluminum and steel say, can bind.

The step up ring and some filter rings are fairly light (thin).  When gripped to remove, they flex out of round and stick.  Some one on LL suggested an oil filter type gripper for removing filters.  Should help by applying pressure uniformly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up