Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Capture One... getting into video or no?  (Read 8196 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase One Capture One... getting into video or no?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 03:36:02 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
By preview I meant image selection and editing. Phase C1 previews are fine, still a little too sharp for me.

If you ever want to race I'll go 1v1 with you. 5000 images shot into 10 shot folders. Basic batch adjustments (much of which would already be done since C1 can style as it RECEIVES the file), initial crap trashing, initial picks, advanced adjustments , second round of picks (comparative), placement of those pics into a separate folder - running those as mid-resolution JPGs for final selection, final selection, process to large 16 bit tiffs in a wide color space.

With the heavy use of shortcuts and intense knowledge of both programs I find that I can do these faster in C1 vs. Bridge. Two caveats:
- We shot tethered into C1 (so that the preview cache is already built as-your-shooting)
- There isn't a lot of file renaming (which is a big caveat!) because right now C1's batch renaming is still pretty darn slow!

As one reference point C1 can take a 5000 image folder (like my time lapses) and apply a style (contrast, WB etc) and create 2000px wide previews at about 3 files per second from my Canon 5D Mark 2 or 1.5 files per second from the P65+.

Of course most people already know bridge from other lives/purposes so no learning curve and of course there are things that Bridge does faster/better (likewise there are things C1 does faster/better and that aperture does faster/better - too bad we can't mash them all into one!)

Doug

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:36:39 pm by dougpetersonci »

TMARK

Phase One Capture One... getting into video or no?
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 10:02:09 am »

Doug,

I've never really warmed to editing images with C1.  I like to use Photo Mechanic as much as possible.  The thing with Bridge is that it is so well integrated with Photoshop that I often end up using it even though it takes longer to build previews etc.  

I often have a mix of files from a project, some film scans, M8, Canon, Leaf, and motion clips.  Bridge lets me see it all at once, which is great.

Quote from: dougpetersonci
If you ever want to race I'll go 1v1 with you. 5000 images shot into 10 shot folders. Basic batch adjustments (much of which would already be done since C1 can style as it RECEIVES the file), initial crap trashing, initial picks, advanced adjustments , second round of picks (comparative), placement of those pics into a separate folder - running those as mid-resolution JPGs for final selection, final selection, process to large 16 bit tiffs in a wide color space.

With the heavy use of shortcuts and intense knowledge of both programs I find that I can do these faster in C1 vs. Bridge. Two caveats:
- We shot tethered into C1 (so that the preview cache is already built as-your-shooting)
- There isn't a lot of file renaming (which is a big caveat!) because right now C1's batch renaming is still pretty darn slow!

As one reference point C1 can take a 5000 image folder (like my time lapses) and apply a style (contrast, WB etc) and create 2000px wide previews at about 3 files per second from my Canon 5D Mark 2 or 1.5 files per second from the P65+.

Of course most people already know bridge from other lives/purposes so no learning curve and of course there are things that Bridge does faster/better (likewise there are things C1 does faster/better and that aperture does faster/better - too bad we can't mash them all into one!)

Doug

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up