Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How did it start?  (Read 8594 times)

michael

How did it start?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 02:46:48 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
An auto Schewe feature.

Now why didn't I think of that?

I'm reluctant to spill too many beans just yet. What I will say is that we began a 24 month development process about six months ago, and the first first visible signs will appear here within a month or so.

This isn't just a cosmetic change. It's a fundamental redesign of the whole structure of the site as well as how it will work, how members will participate, and much, much more.

Film (err...digital) at 11.

Michael

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
How did it start?
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »

Content aware forum posts perhaps?  An auto Schewe feature?

I'm all for that...it would save me a lot of typing (and reading to decide where to spread my "sunshine")!

:~)

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
How did it start?
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 05:56:42 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
I'm all for that...it would save me a lot of typing (and reading to decide where to spread my "sunshine")!

:~)
I'm in as well, as long as it offers user configurable settings that allow the member to set the level of "sunshine" desired, from the current default of "11" to 0.  

If you also find a way to reprocess raw postings into something more palatable, we would also be grateful.  Adobe seems to have a lock on the auto sandwich algorithm, but perhaps you could just work on something that adds just a superficial dusting of sugar coating (no saccharin, please) to overly bitter or savory comments.  Not asking you to turn vinegar into koolaid, or anchovies into breath mints, but perhaps there is a middle ground to be explored?

Mind you, I'm not asking you to infringe on any of Adobe's intellectual property, but a sandwich button would also be nice.  What visit to the LL forum couldn't be improved with a delicious snack?  You could include a few lines on our profile page for preferences and food allergies, just to be safe.

While these suggestions are offered in good faith, please don't hold up the rollout of the new forum if they prove too time consuming to implement, or if you feel the sandwich button would clutter up the interface.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
How did it start?
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 01:28:16 am »

Hi,

You mean a Jeff-ON / Jeff-OFF slider?

I would leave mine in the recommended Jeff-ON position....

Best regards
Erik

An auto Schewe feature?
Erik Kaffehr

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
How did it start?
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:37 am »

My profile also show January 2003 as joining date, but I have been around in LL since (almost) the beginning, I think. Well since the time of digital equipment reviews, when michael would review the likes of the EOS 3, EOS 1V, etc, etc. From the time when we would submit images for Michael to review and feed back, now that was fun!

Looking forward to the new website!

Paulo Bizarro

fredjeang

How did it start?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 03:48:09 pm »

Talking about the site, does anyone knows how to upload a pic for the profile?
I've been trying to in all possible ways and I just got the same message : upload failed, please contact administrator.
the pic is at the right dims etc...do not understand why it fails.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
How did it start?
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 11:32:53 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Talking about the site, does anyone knows how to upload a pic for the profile?
I've been trying to in all possible ways and I just got the same message : upload failed, please contact administrator.
the pic is at the right dims etc...do not understand why it fails.

You can't 'upload' - all you can do is reference a picture hosted elsewhere

Ray

How did it start?
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 12:33:24 am »

I was one of the early posters on LL. In the year 2000 there was no requirement for membership. Anyone could express his/her opinion without going through the hassles of registration.

Those were the good old days.

Epson is to blame for my getting involved in LL. I'd bought the latest and greatest Epson printer in late 2000, the A3+ Epson Stylus 1200 which was one of the first desktop inkjets to produce true photographic quality prints, as opposed to 'near' photographic quality.

Disappointingly, my prints came out too dark and totally unacceptable. I rang the Epson agent in Sydney (or was it Melbourne) to ask for advice, and was told that color management was a very complicated affair and that I should consult a few websites on the internet. Two that I remember that were recommended were Luminous Landscape and Ian Lyons's Computer-Darkroom. There was perhaps a third which I can't recall.

Luminous landscape was not only well organised with insightful reviews, particularly of the then current Canon D30, but Michael's landscape images seemed to me to be rather special. They had a certain quality that placed them above most landscape shots that I'd previously seen.

I was also new to the computer experience, the internet, and the potential of communication with complete strangers who shared a common interest.

I suppose one could say I became hooked, hence my 7,000 posts on this site.

It'll be interesting to see what the new site offers, apart from bells & whistles. I can't really fault the current arrangements. If you insist on being an ignoramus, you can already place someone on 'ignore'. This protects you from any uncomfortable ideas.

The 2MB limit on downloadable jpegs is already plenty. Who would want to make available publicly a jpeg compression that exceeds 2MB that could be pirated for other purposes?

As I see it, there's nothing wrong with the current format of the site. What's wrong is the small-minded, petty complaints and criticisms of some of the posters. But that's life! We have to accommodate such people.

John Camp

How did it start?
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 01:13:36 am »

Quote from: Ray
I was one of the early posters on LL. In the year 2000 there was no requirement for membership. Anyone could express his/her opinion without going through the hassles of registration...<snip>
I suppose one could say I became hooked, hence my 7,000 posts on this site.

Ray,
I just copied your last post into MS Word to see how long it was -- 344 words. You've always been a tiny bit voluble, if I may be so bold, and if we take 344 as an average, then your 7,003 posts (to that point) would amount to some 2,408,000 words, or the equivalent of about ~21 typical bestselling novels. Have you considered the possibility that you're not a photographer, but a writer?

JC  

Ray

How did it start?
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 02:06:57 am »

Quote from: John Camp
Ray,
I just copied your last post into MS Word to see how long it was -- 344 words. You've always been a tiny bit voluble, if I may be so bold, and if we take 344 as an average, then your 7,003 posts (to that point) would amount to some 2,408,000 words, or the equivalent of about ~21 typical bestselling novels. Have you considered the possibility that you're not a photographer, but a writer?

JC

John,
Insightful point! I have considered that. Perhaps not that I'm a writer and not a photopgrapher, but a writer and a photographer. (Are you implying that all my photos that I've posted on this site are, in your opinion, crap?   ) .

Photography is in my blood. My father had a darkroom and, in my teenage years, I messed around in that darkroom producing prints of my bird nest shots taken with my Brownie box camera. My interest in photography was renewed, many years later, as a result of the affordable reality of the digital darkroom, which seemed so much better than messing around with toxic chemicals in a 'set-aside' darkened room with special curtains to block out the light.

I sometimes boast to my friends that I've written on the internet the equivalent of several novels the size of Tolstoy's 'War & Peace', not only on photography, but also climate change.

I would request to Michael, when he upgrades this site, that he provides a feature that enables any member to download his entire output. Many of my posts have not been written in Word, saved,  then copied to to LL.

larsrc

• http://
How did it start?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 07:40:24 am »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
I got here sometime around 2001, possibly a little earlier.  At least, MR did a critique of one of my landscape photos in July of that year:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/critiques/july-2001.shtml

What Michael, LuLa and the community of photographers here did was to rekindle my interest in serious photography, which had languished for some years.  It's been a great ride since then and I'm looking forward to see what happens next.

Paul

The Critique section was what really attracted me to LL in the first place (back in 2001/2002), and I'm sorry they are so hidden now. I understand if MR can't find the time to make new critiques, but it would be nice if the old critiques were still accessible through something other than a secret URL of a dir listing.

Of course, it would be lovely if new critiques could be made. Maybe give a critique with each item purchased or something...

-Lars

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
How did it start?
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 05:41:41 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
That's a pretty cheap 'n' clumsy looking lens cap!

Rob C

You having us on? That looks suspiciously like the NASA Turkey Deep Fryer Module

Rob C

How did it start?
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 04:44:01 am »

Quote from: Philmar
You having us on? That looks suspiciously like the NASA Turkey Deep Fryer Module

No, no no no! That has the deeper, more concave section with the teflon coating; gold was definitely reserved for the lens caps.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up