Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows7 and DotNetFramework  (Read 8215 times)

walter.sk

Windows7 and DotNetFramework
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:20:33 pm »

I had been running Windows7 64-bit for a few weeks.  After installing Norton Ghost I tried running it and got some message about Windows cannot run the program.  I tried uninstalling it but couldn't.  I tried reinstalling it with the same results.  After contacting Symantec and spending hours with them controlling my computer they managed to get it to install, but my DotNetFramework stopped functioning.  In the process the programs I use that depend on DotNetFramework stopped working, including DXO Optics Pro.  I got the message that DotNetFramework was not installed.

I tried reinstalling DotNetFramework from the MS website but just before it was done installing I got a message that I have to turn off some function in Control Panel (I do not remember what, exactly).  However, there was no way to turn off any kind of functionality in the Win7 Control Panel.

I can't uninstallDotNetFramework, nor reinstall it.  Nor is there any way of doing a Repair Install of Windows7 other than to reformat the drive and start over.

Does anybody here know where to go for help, or what I should do?

The reason I installed Ghost was to back up my C: drive, and I have not been able to do that as Ghost does not actually run, even though Symantec got it to install.  So, I desperately want to avoid having to do a clean install of Win7 again.  It took ages to get all of the programs reinstalled.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:22:34 pm by walter.sk »

englishm

• http://www.pacificlight.ca
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »

Have you tried a complete uninstall of Ghost, and then a re-install of dot-net?

Please don't interpret this next comment as glib or dismissive... I was a big supporter and user of Ghost (and Symantec's anti-virus programs as well, for years: both corporately and personally)  But, no longer.  I simply tired of the huge footprint and overhead of having their programs installed and running.  So when I went up to Win 7 64-bit, I dumped everything Symantec, and replaced Ghost with Acronis Backup & Recovery.  Couldn't be happier... runs like a champ, co-exists with everything on my PC:  no issues whatsoever... and it's only $74 to boot!  Frankly, I think you should dump Ghost as well.
Mark English
[url=http://www.pacificligh

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:39:14 pm »

Walter, I have no specific experience with Windows 7. But based on my accumulated Windows experience, there are several points: (1) I would not buy, install or use a piece of Symantec software. I've had nothing but trouble with any of it I've ever used and scrapped. (2)Call Microsoft for support on getting rid of DotNetFramework and then re-installing it. (3) Or, do a Google search for applications which clean-out stubborn Windows software  - read the reviews on them before using. (4) Download a free trial version of System Mechanic 9 and give it a try. It may find and repair some system damage which would then allow you to perform normal uninstalls. (5) Try Acronis True Image Home 2010 as an alternative solution for backing-up your C Drive. It creates a "disc image" and a boot disc which can be used to replace your C Drive exactly as it was the time of the back-up in case of disaster needing a re-install. I've had to use it and it works. Saves lots of agony.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:31:05 pm »

Another vote for acronis - love it.

aduke

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:59:44 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Another vote for acronis - love it.

+1.  

Last week, I decided to replace the 1TB C drive on my new Windows 7 64bit system with a 500GB drive and use the 1T for backup purposes. The first step was to make a system image using the Windows software on the other existing drive, then installed the new drive, installed Acronis Home 2010 trial version and, finally, used Acronis to restore from the Windows Image to the new drive. Acronis made the new drive the C drive and all was well.

I only wish I'd stumbled on this procedure first, but the final result was excellent.

Alan

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:05:24 am »

Windows 7 ships with .NET Framework 3.5.  The only Symantec product I currently recommend running is the uninstaller......

Here's a nice tool that will clean up a damaged .NET installation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200...27/9850215.aspx

thierrylegros396

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:32:53 am »

Walter.sk said:   I can't uninstallDotNetFramework, nor reinstall it.

Same problem with XP !

But, yes I also like Acronis.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 10:13:58 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
I had been running Windows7 64-bit for a few weeks.  After installing Norton Ghost I tried running it and got some message about Windows cannot run the program.  I tried uninstalling it but couldn't.  I tried reinstalling it with the same results.  After contacting Symantec and spending hours with them controlling my computer they managed to get it to install, but my DotNetFramework stopped functioning.  In the process the programs I use that depend on DotNetFramework stopped working, including DXO Optics Pro.  I got the message that DotNetFramework was not installed.

I tried reinstalling DotNetFramework from the MS website but just before it was done installing I got a message that I have to turn off some function in Control Panel (I do not remember what, exactly).  However, there was no way to turn off any kind of functionality in the Win7 Control Panel.

I can't uninstallDotNetFramework, nor reinstall it.  Nor is there any way of doing a Repair Install of Windows7 other than to reformat the drive and start over.

Does anybody here know where to go for help, or what I should do?

The reason I installed Ghost was to back up my C: drive, and I have not been able to do that as Ghost does not actually run, even though Symantec got it to install.  So, I desperately want to avoid having to do a clean install of Win7 again.  It took ages to get all of the programs reinstalled.

Win 7 has drive imaging built in so why do you need Ghost?

walter.sk

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:10:04 am »

To all that gave such helpful responses, I thank you!

I'm going to try to clean up my dotNet files with the link posted by Joh.Murray.  If that fails, I will go to Microsoft.  I will also get Acronis, because of the positive statements here about it.

I used something called PCMover by Laplink to migrate my Windows XP programs and settings to Windows7, and it did work.  What I am going to try before doing a clean install of Wn7 will be to try booting from my cloned XP drive, re-cloning it to my current Win7 drive, and going through the PCMover routine again.  If that fails, then I will do a clean install of Win7, and get out the notebook with all of the serial numbers of my programs.

I hate computers.  But I love digital photography.  Yechhh!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 11:17:17 am »

You may not need to do a fresh install oncve you do the other stuff discussed here. Furthermore, I believe that PC Mover is a one-shot program - I recall having read that the license to this application is valid for one move only, unless they have changed that, or you have a license allowing multiple attemps. You may wish to verify before trying. Another thing coming to mind is that perhaps some of the setting which you migrated from XP to 7 using that program are not 7-compatible, perhaps causing some of your problems - can this happen or do you get a warning?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:17:51 am by Mark D Segal »

walter.sk

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 10:43:26 am »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
You may not need to do a fresh install oncve you do the other stuff discussed here. Furthermore, I believe that PC Mover is a one-shot program - I recall having read that the license to this application is valid for one move only, unless they have changed that, or you have a license allowing multiple attemps. You may wish to verify before trying. Another thing coming to mind is that perhaps some of the setting which you migrated from XP to 7 using that program are not 7-compatible, perhaps causing some of your problems - can this happen or do you get a warning?

You do get warnings in PCMover.  However, my migration adventure was successful, and I had no trouble for a couple of weeks of using my usual photo programs, browser and email, and Office stuff.  Only after trying Ghost did I have my difficulties.

I downloaded and ran the DotNet Verification program, from Joh.Marray's link, above.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!
On first run, it presented me with a dropdown menu that should have had choices for dotnetfx 2.0, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP1.  Only the version 2 was indicated, even though on the Programs & Functions list, versions 3 and 3.5 were listed.  The program did verify that all of the components of DotNetFramework 2 were where they are supposed to be.

Wondering why there was no indication of the other versions in the Verifier, I finally stumbled upon the Win7 Control Panel routine for turning windows functions on or off, and lo and behold!  The box for Dot Net Framework was unchecked!  Not by me, because I didn't even know such a tool existed;  one of the first Symantec techs who had tried to help with fixing Ghost had done it after he tried to deinstall and reinstall the DotNetFramework programs, as Ghost v15 uses the framework.

I checked the boxes and ran MSConfig, where the DotNet stuff apparently had also been disabled.  It took literally hours for the computer to reconfigure Windows after shutting down and rebooting, but when I ran the DotNet Verification again, it had all three choices available, and all were verified.

I then was able to reinstall DXO's converter, although it literally took almost an hour to complete the installation.  I also was able to reinstall PhotoContestPro from its website (this is software for running competitions in a photo club, and it also depends on the DotNet stuff.)  However, a photo uploader program from the same website won't install, still from a DotNet problem.

In addition, the last session in which Symantec engineers had control over my computer for upward of 6 hours, left my computer with Ghost installed.  But when I tried to just do a backup of C:, I found that Ghost cannot find any hard drives on my computer!

I am livid about Symantec, especially their leaving my DotNet stuff turned off;  if I hadn't stumbled on the Turn Off Windows Functions routine I would never have figured it out.

The main problem I still have is that to install or uninstall anything takes huge amounts of time, sometimes 30-40 minutes before the green progress bar begins to be visible, and then, upto an hour or more for it to reach the end of the progress bar space.

My plan, I think, is to: 1) get Acronis and another HDD to make a clone of my apparently crippled Win7 drive, 2) See if I can resurrect my original WinXP cloned drive and clone it back to my current C: drive, 3) Get another license for PCMover and try the process again, and 4) If that doesn't work, do a fresh install of Win7 and all of my programs. 5) I will write a letter to the highest level executive of Symantec that I can find, with a detailed ist of gripes about the 4 days of having my computer in their hands, the sloppiness on the part of their techs, and still having no well functioning OS, not to mention a still non-functional Ghost after they left it on my computer.  I also want a refund of my lousy $70 online price for Ghost.

Can any of you think of better ways of using my time?  I certainly can!

By the way, I also have a Prius...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:50:53 am by walter.sk »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 11:51:30 am »

I wish you much better luck with your Prius than you are having with Windows 7 and Symantec. Sounds like quite a deadly combination.

As a person with no Windows 7 experience, I can't explain why it should take so long to uninstall and install programs. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and it suggests that there is still something screwed-up in your operating system to cause this. If that's true, it would make no sense to use Acronis for backing-up such a system, because if you ever needed to do a recovery with that back-up you would be re-installing the same problems you have now.

I really think you need to get on the phone with Microsoft (whether under warranty or even if you had to pay for the call), run through everything with them and let them help you get your OS back into proper condition. My experience with Microsoft support has been good. They have been very professional, and the same case remains open until the problems are resolved to your satisfaction. If you need to pay, you only pay once for the same incident, no matter how much of their time is needed to fix it. At some point, it's the all-round cheapest and least aggravating solution.

PeterAit

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:13:02 pm »

In your shoes, I would cut my losses and start from scratch with a clean Win7 install. Use the disk image utility that is part of Win7 and you will not need Ghost or any other program for cloning your drive. I recommend SyncBackPro for all other backups, it has been working flawlessly for me on Win7 for months now.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 10:39:33 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
In your shoes, I would cut my losses and start from scratch with a clean Win7 install. Use the disk image utility that is part of Win7 and you will not need Ghost or any other program for cloning your drive. I recommend SyncBackPro for all other backups, it has been working flawlessly for me on Win7 for months now.

Peter, it takes a huge amount of time and a certain amount of aggravation to completely rebuild a Windows set-up. If Walter can avoid this with a service call to Microsoft and some remedial measures they may recommend, I think that would be a sensible first step. If THEY advise that the system needs to be re-installed, well then that's it - he's up against the proverbial brick wall, at which point your advice is the only advice.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 07:29:29 pm »

In regard to the .net reconfig/reinstall - it can take a considerable amount of time.  All code making up the runtime is trusted and has to be reverified.  This is where the image based installation of win7 has some real advantages.

The windows 7 backup utility is very good.  There's an option to create a system recovery disk - this in conjunction with a system backup, allows a full bare-metal restore - highly recommended.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:53 pm »

Yes. but asn image-based re-install is only good if you have an image of an un-corrupted system to begin with, so this advice becomes very useful once the system is back to normal, in anticipation of fuiture "events". The recovery disk you mention is most probably the boot disk, which one needs in order to commission the image install. So if Windows 7 is allowing both the image and the recovery disk to be made, this is indeed very good and everyone using Win7 should take advantage. All you need is one C Drive crash to really appreciate how importsnt this is.

PeterAit

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:40:55 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Peter, it takes a huge amount of time and a certain amount of aggravation to completely rebuild a Windows set-up. If Walter can avoid this with a service call to Microsoft and some remedial measures they may recommend, I think that would be a sensible first step. If THEY advise that the system needs to be re-installed, well then that's it - he's up against the proverbial brick wall, at which point your advice is the only advice.

Seems like But, I sure wish him luck, whatever he decides to do. This sort of computer problem can be absolutely maddening.

PeterAit

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:51 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
Seems like But, I sure wish him luck, whatever he decides to do. This sort of computer problem can be absolutely maddening.

I meant to say: Seems like he has already spent a lot of time of remedial measures, with no luck.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 07:47:50 pm »

With all due respect to Walter, Microsoft may have a trick or two up their sleeves that neither he nor us know about. And maddening - to say the least. I've had two C Drive crashes within the past 15 months. The first cost me three days of time to rebuild the whole system back to where it was. For the second I was smarter - I had Acronis and it re-installed everything perfectly within a few hours while I slept. This is on Windows XP. It doesn't have the recovery system of Windows 7. Unfortunately this computer is not up-gradeable to Windows 7 because Dell won't issue new BIOS for it, despite that it is only 3.5 years old. My last PC. I'll be switching to Mac sometime in the not too distant future.

jtmiller

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:55:52 pm »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Microsoft has at least one or more installation cleanup utitilies. I had a problem with a Silverlight install and they pointed me to a cleanup utility which solved that and had many other applications listed which it would fix as well. This is the one that I used to fix that:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9...1BD/msicuu2.exe

jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up