Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget medium or even large format lense for a scanning back  (Read 2398 times)

DarioMorelli

Budget medium or even large format lense for a scanning back
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:03:54 am »

Hi, some time ago I had started a thread about my project of building a camera with a scanner sensor made from a flatbed scanner.
Now the camera is finished and it's working well, and now it's time to do the final step of this project: solve its anamorphic issue reducing it to a medium format (48x66mm). I'm designing the body of the camera which depends strictly on the type of lens I will use: personally I want to keep the multi format compatibility of the camera, so it must accept lenses from 35mm format to large format without major changes. so this keep longer LF lenses out of question.

So, what kind of lens you think is the best to test the limit of the sensor without spending thousands of dollars? I don't mind if it's a small, medium or large format, and can have any focal, it only has to be the sharpest possible (something in the hundreds of lp/mm) at the lowest price.

...and another question: looking to a medium format scanner-camera, what features you think are a "must have"? (for example, tilt/shift, or a live focusing system, or high portability) and choosing from 6x7 and large format, which kind of lens you think is better to a sensor of this dimensions?

Yes, also I'm asking these questions because I'm evaluating the possibility to produce it in a small production.

here is the gallery with some other information http://www.flickr.com/photos/projectese/se...57623187612134/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:05:31 am by DarioMorelli »

archivue

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:53:59 am »

apo sironar digital 55, or the nearly as good apo grandagon 55... both second hand on ebay.
You will need a focusing ring also !

otherwise, you can go with RB KL mamiya lenses... shutter and focusing ring inside !

DarioMorelli

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:32 pm »

Quote from: archivue
apo sironar digital 55, or the nearly as good apo grandagon 55... both second hand on ebay.

otherwise, you can go with RB KL mamiya lenses... shutter and focusing ring inside !
well, choosing between those lenses I'll go for the Mamiya 65mm.. it's like 400$ less than the sironar digital and grandagon..
I know it's a common lens in 6x7 format, but I can't find any resolution data on the internet..

...wow, wait a minute, I've found a "Mamiya MF RB67 K/L 65mm 4.0 L Lens K KL 65 4 BIN 123728" at 300$ on Ebay!
You think it's a good price?  
Also I'm seeing a lot of used "KL" lens: maybe is the right kind of lens for a camera like this if the "production" project will be a reality..
What do you people think?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:47:28 pm by DarioMorelli »

DarioMorelli

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:50:15 pm »

Another thing: what is exactly the difference between sekor C and KL lenses? because the price difference is huge.. sorry about all these questions but I'm trying to keep a scientific approach to this project and I like to know everything about what I'm doing..

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:38:43 am »

KL are closer in design to RZ lenses and are generally much sharper. I use a 105 rodagon for copy work and am constantly amazed by it sharps.
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:03:11 am »

Quote from: archivue

You can use SHARP traditional large format lenses. I found the Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N similar sharp or sharper than my non D Mamiya lenses using Leaf Aptus 65. This Rodenstock is reputable sharp and can be bought for aorund 400 usd used.

Check here http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm

Regards
Anders

DarioMorelli

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:41:57 pm »

Quote from: Anders_HK
You can use SHARP traditional large format lenses. I found the Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N similar sharp or sharper than my non D Mamiya lenses using Leaf Aptus 65. This Rodenstock is reputable sharp and can be bought for aorund 400 usd used.

Check here http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm

Regards
Anders
good, I'm bidding on this lens, but if it will go too high I'll go to a schneider digitar 90mm (600€ on ebay)
Pages: [1]   Go Up