Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Trespassing!  (Read 2853 times)

RichardGilbert

• http://www.richardvgilbert.com
No Trespassing!
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:25:25 am »

Thanks for looking! C&C appreciated.

Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
USMC Retired
Scout/Sniper

"What can I say?! I like shooting stuff!"

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
No Trespassing!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:26 am »

reminds me of when I was with a friend in Texas Hill country shooting spring flowers.  We were on some backroad and were taking photos of flowering cactus  (probably 15-20 off the road) when someone drove by and stopped to let us know we were trespassing as the only place that was county property was the road.  She then let us know that we could be shot if the owner caught us trespassing.

rather neighborly?           I can only assume that they have had previous problems with trespassing and property damage?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
No Trespassing!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:46:07 am »

I have only heard of these types of situations third-hand. Are there jurisdictions where it's actually ok to shoot someone because of where they're walking? I mean, is that really reason enough to shoot someone? Don't they need to at least threaten you or something?

And is it actually ok to stop on the road and threaten (or hint) to shoot someone like that? There exist offenses like uttering death threats, and they're taken seriously. You can't just threaten to shoot people just cause you feel like scaring them, can you?

--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
No Trespassing!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:49:30 am »

Sorry, almost forgot. I like the ominous sense of forboding. It's just a farm field, after all, but damned scary looking one. That's how it first struck me, it's not just a reaction after reading about the threats in the 1st reply.
--
Robert

Greg D

No Trespassing!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

Quote from: Robert Roaldi
I have only heard of these types of situations third-hand. Are there jurisdictions where it's actually ok to shoot someone because of where they're walking? I mean, is that really reason enough to shoot someone? Don't they need to at least threaten you or something?

And is it actually ok to stop on the road and threaten (or hint) to shoot someone like that? There exist offenses like uttering death threats, and they're taken seriously. You can't just threaten to shoot people just cause you feel like scaring them, can you?

Not in the U.S., but you can in Texas...  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:28:33 pm by grog13 »

RichardGilbert

No Trespassing!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:29:36 pm »

I'm originally from Texas so I know what you're talking about! HAHA! We're very protective about our property because that is the means of income for many of us. In Texas if you are standing on my front porch I can legally kill you if I FEEL threatened. I think it's a good law compared to the ones we have here in California but I do not agree with shooting and killing someone for simply standing on your property.

Thanks for the comments, that exactly what I was trying to capture! The feeling of forbiddeness!
Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
USMC Retired
Scout/Sniper

AveryRagan

No Trespassing!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:42:07 am »

Based on the Texans that I know I don't think your chances of getting shot taking pictures are that great.

On the other hand I wouldn't wear a serape If I was you. I don't know if you've read your newspaper lately or even if it's been covered by the press up north but the number of ranchers that have been shot or killed in southern Texas and the significant property damage by illegals or drug smugglers lately might make most get a little touchy.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
No Trespassing!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »

Quote from: AveryRagan
Based on the Texans that I know I don't think your chances of getting shot taking pictures are that great.

On the other hand I wouldn't wear a serape If I was you. I don't know if you've read your newspaper lately or even if it's been covered by the press up north but the number of ranchers that have been shot or killed in southern Texas and the significant property damage by illegals or drug smugglers lately might make most get a little touchy.

Glad to hear it's an exaggerated concern.  

I like the cold, so I don't expect to be visiting anytime soon. If I ever ever up standing on a Texan's porch, I'll try not to look too menacing, lest they feel threatened, but I shoot Oly and Sony, what if he's a Canikon man?
--
Robert

AveryRagan

No Trespassing!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 12:34:39 am »

Glad to hear it's an exaggerated concern.  

I like the cold, so I don't expect to be visiting anytime soon. If I ever ever up standing on a Texan's porch, I'll try not to look too menacing, lest they feel threatened, but I shoot Oly and Sony, what if he's a Canikon man?

I think packing Nippon is OK. Not many packing that kinda "heat" have caused any trouble.

RichardGilbert

No Trespassing!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:19:10 am »

Ya we only get upset if you're trying to hunt and fish on our property of if you're hassling our cattle.
Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
USMC Retired
Scout/Sniper

Pages: [1]   Go Up