Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Disto?  (Read 3751 times)

CBarrett

Leica Disto?
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:02:26 am »

I've finally ordered my Rm3d, and in preparation for it's arrival I wanted to purchase a Leica Disto unit that others here seemed to like.  What model seems to work best? D5?

Gracias,

CB

Alan W George

• http://alan-george.com/
Leica Disto?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:16:36 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I've finally ordered my Rm3d, and in preparation for it's arrival I wanted to purchase a Leica Disto unit that others here seemed to like.  What model seems to work best? D5?

Gracias,

CB

I use the D5 with a Cambo RS, recommended.

Dick Roadnight

Leica Disto?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:18:06 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett

Gracias,

CB
I have an A5, which is basic, but has a useful range outside in sunlight ¿40m? but a greater range and more features (for measuring height of trees) would be useful. Mine is supposed to be able to measures the height of buildings.

What, specifically, do you want to measure?

I initially bought my Disto to survey my garden to re-draw the plans after the deeds had been burnt by the Building Society.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Leica Disto?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:33:25 pm »

The A3 works fine for interior work and takes up less space in the camera bag than the D5.  It is hard to see the laser pointer in direct sun, so the D5 would be a great solution for that, but focusing is much less critical outside where the focus point is typically further from the camera.  

Working with the Disto does save a little time, I'm just not sure its 3 or 5 hundred dollars worth of time.  Because I'm tethered most of the time I frequently don't use the Disto, but instead fine tune the focus over the several captures I'm making to finalize the picture.

tho_mas

Leica Disto?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 03:48:29 pm »

Quote from: ericstaud
The A3 works fine for interior work and takes up less space in the camera bag than the D5.  It is hard to see the laser pointer in direct sun, so the D5 would be a great solution for that, but focusing is much less critical outside where the focus point is typically further from the camera.  

Working with the Disto does save a little time, I'm just not sure its 3 or 5 hundred dollars worth of time.  Because I'm tethered most of the time I frequently don't use the Disto, but instead fine tune the focus over the several captures I'm making to finalize the picture.
actually... if the Rm3D works as advertised then a Disto will save the laptop... at least referring to focussing.

Dick Roadnight

Leica Disto?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:48:13 pm »

Thinking of using a camera on a 10m tripod,
and calculating the movement settings before raising the camera,
( or raising the camera to the desired viewpoint, measuring "J" ,
lowering it,
calculating the movement settings,
setting the movements,
raising,
focusing ¿by height and or remote focusing?

Having a Disto might seem useful of indispensable...

but I already have one...

What would you use yours for?

tho_mas

Leica Disto?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:31 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
What would you use yours for?
measuring the distance to the toilet when I'm drunk  
Honestly, I don't get the question...

Dick Roadnight

Leica Disto?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:43:52 pm »

What would you use your Disto for?
Quote from: tho_mas
measuring the distance to the toilet when I'm drunk  
Honestly, I don't get the question...
You can use a Disto as a fairly sophisticated surveying instrument, and measure not just the focus distance for camera to subject or desired position of plane of sharpest focus,  (perpendicular to sensor plane), but the precise position of the plane of sharpest focus in three dimensions, (relative to the position from which you can use it and the desired ¿inaccessible? camera position allowing you to pre-calculate the movement settings, for example when the camera position is not accessible.

If you only want to use it for a one dimensional measurement for focusing, a Disto might still be useful in some circumstances.

If you need leads/wires/cables for remote operation, power, flashes, laptops or whatever, a Disto will quickly tell you how much you will need... or if your wireless equipment has limited range ¿across a ravine? - has it enough range for the job? just some  of the 101 little practicalities of site work.

DanielStone

Leica Disto?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:18 am »

Chris,

I know you want to know about the Disto, they're great. A guy I assisted for here in LA has one(don't remember the model), it was a great little tool!

but in all reality, what about this? its not some fancy, whizbang thingy, no batteries. and yes, it takes up more room, but its 200' folks, and the cost might be worth the walking  

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...54024_200154024

-Dan
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:01:56 am by DanielStone »

teo.karp

Leica Disto?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 06:59:43 pm »

how about this bosch http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DLR165K-Distan...e/dp/B000T7LISM probably get a lower price if you shop around. the leica is splendid but is a bit overkill if you are only interested in measuring distances

adammork

Leica Disto?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 02:47:32 am »

Quote from: teo.karp
how about this bosch http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DLR165K-Distan...e/dp/B000T7LISM probably get a lower price if you shop around. the leica is splendid but is a bit overkill if you are only interested in measuring distances

If you want to use it outside - don't get the Bosch.

This is from an old post about the same topic:
"I had the old version of the Bosch and now use the Leica D5 - if it's possible at all, go for the Leica, the camera does all difference....

Usability of the Bosch inside is kind of ok, depending on the light level, but outside it's really not good - you can't see the laser dot, unless it's dark or very close.

The Leica D5 is a real joy to use compared to the Bosch - the camera with the crosshair makes it as useable outside as inside - no more: where the f... is that little red spot!"

/adam

archivue

Leica Disto?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:46:57 am »

Inside a bosch DLE70 is a bargain... but outside the leice disto D5 is the solution...

but, i still didn't buy one... for architecture and working at F8-F11 most of time estimation is enought with an RM3D.

i will buy the leica later... or maybe the RM3D Sonnar, on it, you can read your focusing distance in direct, and the deph of field... and you can't damage the eyes of the subject... but it isn't as precise as the leica.

Pages: [1]   Go Up