Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art Wolfe's article  (Read 15693 times)

daws

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2010, 12:06:39 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Jeeeshe, talking about looking into the horse's mouth and complaining about cavities...if _YOU_ can do something _BETTER_, then do so and shut the F$%CK UP...ya know?
A little louder, please? There's a guy next door practicing the drums.

if _YOU_ can do something _BETTER_, then do so and shut the F$%CK UP...ya know?
Thanks.

image66

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2010, 01:05:11 am »

How does the "Rent a Monk" in Angkor Wat differ from "Rent a Wolfe" at a game farm?

stamper

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 02:58:17 am »

You ARE kidding...right?

Art should not come on to this chicken coop and waste his time talking to you bunch of "clucking hens"...seriously, Art has nothing better to do that get into the mud with you guys? Surely you jest...there is ZERO upside and massive downside for Art to post ANYTHING to ANYBODY in this thread...

Read the article...if the article helps you, cool...if the article doesn't help, move along and find something else to do...

Jeeeshe, talking about looking into the horse's mouth and complaining about cavities...if _YOU_ can do something _BETTER_, then do so and shut the F$%CK UP...ya know?

When he posted his article he started talking to us so a follow up is/was possible. If there was a contest for the biggest ignoramus on the internet then you would be in the running for the top spot. Suggestion ..... if you don't have anything constructive to post then keep yours shut?

Rob C

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2010, 03:48:57 am »

Quote from: stamper
When he posted his article he started talking to us so a follow up is/was possible. If there was a contest for the biggest ignoramus on the internet then you would be in the running for the top spot. Suggestion ..... if you don't have anything constructive to post then keep yours shut?

Stamper, stamper!

This isn't Scotland: you aren't supposed to tell it like it is, you know; that sort of thing can lead to Independent Thoughts!

I wonder how the election will turn out this time - suicide or just assisted suicide or even, heaven forbid, bloody murder and rape! Marooned here on a chunk of rock in the Med, with huge penalties if I should dream of taking the old wheels onto the ferry to anywhere, my concerns are the pound/euro exchange rate, the fact that some old people that come to live here are allowed the UK heating allowance whilst others, who have been here longer than the legislation allowing such payments, are NOT allowed them at all under the new legislation. That's part of labour's FAIRER society: some pensioners are far more equal than others. Inglorious Basterds! And some who don't friggin' well know better, say: oh - heating in Spain? How absurd! Permanent summer there, don't you know! Cost me €400 a ton for wood this year, and on a bad season I can be forced into buying three of them; electricity is so expensive that most of the place stays closed off to concentrate what heat I can get. Oh, the state pension is worth approx. €420 a month. The Spanish pensioners can't believe that that's what Great Britain thinks of its old folks.

Roll out the tumbrils!

Rob C

jenbenn

• http://
Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2010, 04:41:06 am »

You ARE kidding...right?

Art should not come on to this chicken coop and waste his time talking to you bunch of "clucking hens"...seriously, Art has nothing better to do that get into the mud with you guys? Surely you jest...there is ZERO upside and massive downside for Art to post ANYTHING to ANYBODY in this thread...

Read the article...if the article helps you, cool...if the article doesn't help, move along and find something else to do...

Well, as for me, who started this thread, I dont expect ARt to reply here. Maybe he reads this and maybe he finds our feedback useful. If he doenst, well than be it. There is no reason Art should discuss with us, after all most of us are just giving audience feedback and not asking for Art to justify himself. Even if stamper asked for that, there is no reason to jump at him like that.  
Of course I often too feel like telling people to beg of (not stamper, though), but before I post a statement to this effect, I usually ask myself what words I would choose if the person was standing in front of me. Can we try to be as polite as when talking face to face to somebody, please?

jenbenn

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2010, 04:52:16 am »

Quote from: image66
How does the "Rent a Monk" in Angkor Wat differ from "Rent a Wolfe" at a game farm?
There is no travel photography contest I know of which prohibits the use of "unfree" human models . Even if there was, there would be no way of determing whther or not the model was paid by the photographer. Probably only press photography contests prohibt arranged scenes. Travel photography is usually not about a true reportage but often about capturing the atmosphere of a place.

jenbenn

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2010, 04:58:50 am »

Quote from: tokengirl
have you tried this:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=40779

It's not a total solution, but a pretty good starting point.
Thanks alot, that link was very helpful!

Peter Stacey

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2010, 03:55:30 pm »

Quote from: jenbenn
... Maybe he reads this and maybe he finds our feedback useful...

Perhaps Jen, what took this thread immediately off topic is that all it really affirms is the old saying 'you can't please all people all of the time, etc."

When you talk about "our feedback", what you really mean is "your feedback". Not a collective at all, but a singlular and which you hoped would be supported by similar voices.

However, if the intent is that Art then writes articles specifically to address your concerns, someone else will likely start a similar post because his next article doesn't address their needs/desires/personal preferences.

In the end, the only thing Art can do is write what he wants to write and readers can take from it what they will. If one article suits you, then great. Learn from it and apply it. If another article doesn't suit you, then great. Also learn from it (eg. what doesn't suit you) and don't apply it.

Either way, don't knock a guy in a negative way for putting something down and offering it for free.

Regards,

Peter
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:58:51 pm by Peter Stacey »
[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

Ray

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »

Quote from: Steve Weldon
Perspective..

The first time I photographed Angkor I spent over 3 weeks patiently waiting for groups of tourists to pass by and capturing the scenes without people.  The only exceptions was the day I started the rent-a-monk program and made a few captures using their services.

In the months of post processing that followed I kept getting the feeling something significant was missing from the images.. turns out it was people.

I've since been back more than a few times and stopped worrying about 'most' of the people.  The huge tour buses of Koreans and Chinese still bother me.. they're loud and very disrespectful of what the locals consider a very sacred site.. so I suppose I still have my limits..

Steve,
Sometimes the tourists are groups of Buddhist monks in their saffron robes. I don't mind them. They suit the environment, although I've always found the mixture of monks and voluptuous ladies a little incongruous because, as we all know, monks strive to have no thoughts about sex.  I suppose the situation is explained by the fact that the early temples were purely Hindu. There was a gradual transition towards Buddhism over the centuries, rather than a complete take-over with the usual destruction of the former idols.

What I find annoying are the hordes of tourists just aimlessy wandering around. Even before one lot has departed, there's another that immediately takes its place, each member of the group requiring his or her photo to be taken in front of whatever feature is considered to be the main attraction of the site.

However, sometimes the tourists can become the main feature of a composition. Some of these temples have very big and very steep steps leading to a shrine at the top. Climbing such steep steps seems to appeal to those with a montaineering spirit. I think I captured a few amusing shots of the tourists. Sometimes the wife is the leader and gets to the top first whilst hubby still struggles below.

[attachment=21423:Steep_steps_3.jpg]  [attachment=21424:Made_it.jpg]  Phew! Made it! What a view!

One also has to be careful on the descent. One young tourist from Eastern Europe boasted to his friends that he could run down these steps without stopping. To prove his point, he tried it, stumbled about halfway down, and tragically landed at the bottom, dead. This is not recommended. Be careful!

[attachment=21425:Steep_steps_2.jpg]  [attachment=21426:Steep_st..._cropped.jpg]

jenbenn

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 03:19:53 am »

Quote from: Peter Stacey
Perhaps Jen, what took this thread immediately off topic is that all it really affirms is the old saying 'you can't please all people all of the time, etc."

When you talk about "our feedback", what you really mean is "your feedback". Not a collective at all, but a singlular and which you hoped would be supported by similar voices.

However, if the intent is that Art then writes articles specifically to address your concerns, someone else will likely start a similar post because his next article doesn't address their needs/desires/personal preferences.

In the end, the only thing Art can do is write what he wants to write and readers can take from it what they will. If one article suits you, then great. Learn from it and apply it. If another article doesn't suit you, then great. Also learn from it (eg. what doesn't suit you) and don't apply it.

Either way, don't knock a guy in a negative way for putting something down and offering it for free.

Regards,

Peter
What I really meant was our feedback as in our feedback. Meaning the opinions of people agreeing AND disagreeing with me. Excluded from the term "feedback", as used by me, are dicussions WHY people have a certain opinion and discussion if people by whatever morals standards are entiteld to have  the opinion they have. Therefore lableing constructive  cristicim as "negative way"  is  just like comending people for a certain opinion NOT wanted on this thread. Feedback means saying "i like the article" for  some reason or "I didnt like it" for some other reason. Really nothing more. If you feel that constructive criticism is a personal offence  because it "knocks somebody in a negative way", I resepctfully disagree.

Peter Stacey

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2010, 03:46:12 am »

What I really meant was our feedback as in our feedback.

Perhaps though, the original wording of the thread leads to different interpretations on what you perhaps meant. It's full of "I", but not a since "us", "our", etc. It's your opinion directed specifically at Art.

In terms of the invitation for others to provide feedback. I wasn't underwhelmed by the article. The article is about the thought process in getting from the initial snap (Cambodia-1) to the final version (Cambodia-7). The progression has produced a stronger image in my view; and whether or not that particular image is a World beater or not, doesn't really matter. It's the process of constructing the image that was important in the context of the article. Whether or not the final capture is something special, at the very least the chances of producing top class images are improved by trying v. just accepting the initial version.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:50:12 am by Peter Stacey »
[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

jenbenn

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2010, 03:52:38 am »

Quote from: Peter Stacey
Perhaps though, the original wording of the thread leads to different interpretations on what you perhaps meant. It's full of "I", but not a since "us", "our", etc. It's your opinion directed specifically at Art.
Because I started the thread with my opinion. Note that I never attacked anybody for disagreeing with me in the course of the discussion.  People telling me that I shouldnt have or tell my opinion make me jump, however.

stamper

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2010, 04:07:28 am »

There is no travel photography contest I know of which prohibits the use of "unfree" human models . Even if there was, there would be no way of determing whther or not the model was paid by the photographer. Probably only press photography contests prohibt arranged scenes. Travel photography is usually not about a true reportage but often about capturing the atmosphere of a place.

There was an uproar last year when a photographer won a prestigious competition with an image of a wolf jumping over a gate. He was accused of setting up a tame wolf to do the jumping. I believe it was a topic of interest on here?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/A...200912415506480
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:10:20 am by stamper »

Rob C

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2010, 05:14:40 am »

Isn't it amazing, the power of a couple of so-so photographs to generate anger! Perhaps that was the real game being played out, the bets collected...

A  better and more rewarding challenge might be to do the Trevi Fountain instead, and attempt to catch the atmosphere of a Dolce Vita sequence with only two figures and a cat to populate it. You might, of course, feel an obligation to shoot as per toursit-dominated daylight reality and then PS the others out. Or me, for that matter. But you don't hold the original file on me! Shoot!

Rob C

jenbenn

Art Wolfe's article
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:06 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Isn't it amazing, the power of a couple of so-so photographs to generate anger! Perhaps that was the real game being played out, the bets collected...

Rob C
I certainly have learned that now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up