Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences between lightjet and inkjet printing?  (Read 1880 times)

PaulSchneider

Differences between lightjet and inkjet printing?
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:55:14 pm »

Hi guys!

I'm just reading a book about fine art printing and two different print methods are essentially deemed suitable for high-end printing: that is, lightjet and inkjet printing.

What I don't understand is their relative position towards each other. Is Lightjet printing considered superior to inkjet printing or is it the other way around or are we just talking about different aesthetics because of the papers used? If the latter is the case, what genres of photography have a tendency for which printing process?

Is it an over simplification to say that landscape photographers prefer inkjet prints because of the papers and modern fashion/pop photography with highly saturated colors, i.e. more graphic kinds of photography are better printed with lightjet printing?

Thank you for your insights!

Regards

Paul

Kitty

• http://
Differences between lightjet and inkjet printing?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:22:59 am »

Quote from: PaulSchneider
Hi guys!

I'm just reading a book about fine art printing and two different print methods are essentially deemed suitable for high-end printing: that is, lightjet and inkjet printing.

What I don't understand is their relative position towards each other. Is Lightjet printing considered superior to inkjet printing or is it the other way around or are we just talking about different aesthetics because of the papers used? If the latter is the case, what genres of photography have a tendency for which printing process?

Is it an over simplification to say that landscape photographers prefer inkjet prints because of the papers and modern fashion/pop photography with highly saturated colors, i.e. more graphic kinds of photography are better printed with lightjet printing?

Thank you for your insights!

Regards

Paul

2 Diffferent method of printing.
Lightjet use RGB light print on silver gelatin paper while Inkjet use CMYK ink on special coated paper.
Silver paper print is easier to handle and cheaper. But printer is very expensive.
So if you need high volume in shortime Lightjet has the advantage.

Inkjet ink and paper today has wider color gamut than Lightjet but paper is more difficult to handling.

I think is very personal subjective to choose which one you prefer.
Inkjet paper has weakness and strength. While it is difficult to handle but you have variety of paper weight and texture surface.

Pages: [1]   Go Up