Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using iPad in Portfolio Presentations  (Read 6125 times)

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
Using iPad in Portfolio Presentations
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:13 pm »

What are your thoughts about the impact of using the iPad for portfolio presentations?

David Saffir
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »

What happens when they want to hold onto it so they can show a colleague who will be back tomorrow?

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:47 pm »

Quote from: David Saffir
What are your thoughts about the impact of using the iPad for portfolio presentations?

David Saffir
I played with one today ... very nice panel, but gets very dirty quickly and the gloss produces a lot of glare.

Very nice display when clean and viewed without glare.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:20:17 am »

I'd rather use a higher resolution screen running on a platform with more capabilities like a Macbook Pro.

For me the macbook pro + iphone combo is a lot more interesting than an ipad, knowing that it is of course a lot more expensive also.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:04:32 am »

Too small. Not colour calibrated and probably impossible to get the contrast and brightness down.

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38:34 am »

It's the begining of changes.
It is unperfect but they will improve.

I think we'll see a battle Mac vs Adobe in the next years.

For quick porfolio preview and in "social ambiance" it is a good tool.
The flash will have (and have now) consequences.

We'll also have to take on to consideration the 3D "revolution".

For the moment I'll say: get rid off your flash galleries.

Fred.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:48:07 am »

I think that the base model for $400 can be an alternative to a laptop for showing your portfolio but I'd stick with their cheapest Macbook instead of buying the higher end iPads. The lack of flash support is a serious shortfall imo, one that seriously limits both the iPad and iPhone and one that I don't think Apple will win, this is the reason that I passed on it and wont buy one until it does.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

fredjeang

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:52:14 am »

Quote from: ddk
I think that the base model for $400 can be an alternative to a laptop for showing your portfolio but I'd stick with their cheapest Macbook instead of buying the higher end iPads. The lack of flash support is a serious shortfall imo, one that seriously limits both the iPad and iPhone and one that I don't think Apple will win, this is the reason that I passed on it and wont buy one until it does.
Adobe is working with HP to compeat with 100% flash capabilities.
I've been a Flash fan years ago, now I have to say that I do not see it necessary. O in other words, you can still display the main website with Flash, and having a full html alternative for these mediums.
On the phones, even in html there are some limitations, as the impossibility to use frames properly.

Fred.

pschefz

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:06:20 pm »

yeah...same thing...handing someone  a 6 pound laptop with keyboard or a 1.5 pound....image....which also happens to show verticals or do you just tell someone to turn the macbook sideways?

looking at images on the ipad is like looking at 8x10 chromes on a lightbox....only handheld....

i won't go into the lack of flash because it has nothing to do with presentation (unless you simply want to "play" a website for someone...)

personally i started hating flash when things went a little nuts a while ago and EVERYBODY had to have a flash intro and flash navigation....funny how dated most of those websites look now and how horrible the experience is on any machine...

but: yes, my own website uses flash and shows up in simple HTML on the iphone and ipad....

schefz.com
artloch.com

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:01:35 pm »

I hadn't thought about the idea about verticals, but of course you're right.

I keep thinking about the novelty of it, too.

David

David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »

[!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Fred)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE (Fred)[div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]For the moment I'll say: get rid off your flash galleries.[/quote]

I think the ubiquity of the iPad and iPhone will spell the end for Flash.  To be honest, it is not very efficient and has lots of security holes.  I can't imagine that people will be using it for much more than banner ads in a few more years.  HTML5 with AJAX can do everything flash can do and do it better.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:31:27 pm »

Quote from: fike
I think the ubiquity of the iPad and iPhone will spell the end for Flash.  To be honest, it is not very efficient and has lots of security holes.  I can't imagine that people will be using it for much more than banner ads in a few more years.  HTML5 with AJAX can do everything flash can do and do it better.

Its not only flash galleries, there are game sites that my child frequents and they're all flash and movie websites like hulu.com that are also flash based, I wonder how long before they change or off HTML5 along with flash.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:27:44 pm »

Quote from: ddk
Its not only flash galleries, there are game sites that my child frequents and they're all flash and movie websites like hulu.com that are also flash based, I wonder how long before they change or off HTML5 along with flash.

All the video stuff is very easily ported over to html5.  The video format and compression issues that will result from the conversion from FLV to something like On2 codecs that are royalty free are relatively well understood and easy.  

Now games, that is an entirely different problem.  It could easily be solved by having the game makers port them to become iPhone/iPad native apps....and that may just happen.  But as younger kids outgrow their flash games, they may become more enamored with the iphone games instead.  

For us, having some reasonable degree of color calibration seems to be a potential challenge.  Will apple open up their OS enough to allow tweaking the color and brightness parameters?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

K.C.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 02:24:26 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
I think we'll see a battle Mac vs Adobe in the next years.

We have been seeing them battle for years.

Adobe does their best to ignore the Mac platform.

That's never been more clear than in the disparity between the Windows and OS X Flash authoring applications.

fredjeang

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 04:06:14 am »

Yes,

But the bad rumor, it is only a rumor althought serious, is that codecs will not be free in the future...as always.
There is a lot of money involved in that battle. Let's see if Apple will play a clean game or will end doing the same than Adobe:monopoly on a technology.
The other point is, if html5 is easy to understand, Ajax is not (for a designer).
Would they built a wysiwyg software based on that technology? If not, we'll have the design in the hands of the programmers, with very...interesting results?  
And this software, will probably not be free IMO.

Microsoft (silverlight etc...) seems to be completely out of the game, wich is frankly strange. Anyone has info about Microsoft silence?

-----

AJAX

About Ajax, it is indeed a revolution that is putting not only flash, but the more traditionals CMS into the dinausors age.
What is possible to acheive for a non-initiated is simply amazing and with a gain in time and energy enormous.
The interface is what we should expect in 2010: totally intuitive, free of hassle.
Ajax brings the design and web construction to the beginners at a level that was reserved to more advanced users.
But the thing is that the system is not possible to implement as easy as it is with "normal" CMS.
WE WANT AN AJAX WYSIWYG.

----

JAVA

Many of the things reserved before to Flash, are also possible in J.Query. So it is looking in the web and try to find the J.Query requiered.
But, as it as been pointed here: if we saw many abuses with Flash in terms of usability, navigation etc...I do see the same kind of "nervous kid interface" with Java Script. When you give animation capabilities to people, it easilly become silly.

-----

FLASH

The idea that Flash is dead is not really, at least for the moment, the reality. Remember that many many designers have been Flash trained and in agencies there are people very qualified with it. It has been invested a lot (time and money) in learning programms etc...
I do not see that these guys are going to abandon Flash right now. Too many efforts have been involved so far. The change, if there is a change, will be progressive.

IMHO.

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:55:18 am by fredjeang »

pschefz

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 09:48:34 pm »

take a second and check out the iAd demo for os4....this is what advertising should be like....and it does not need flash...it actually completely cuts it out....
and this is the fastest growing platform in the world...this is what your kids play on today....
schefz.com
artloch.com

fredjeang

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 04:57:59 am »

Microsoft Silverlight will be fully compatible with html 5.

The you tube beta is really beta, for example the ridiculous speed feature, no fs mode etc...but it's fast, better quality.
It is just a question of time.

It's there.
We wanted it, We'll have it.

I think it is a good news for photographers and I'd say: "better dig right now into the video capabilities of our dslr"
Pages: [1]   Go Up