Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repair or Relace my defective D700  (Read 2968 times)

flbrit

Repair or Relace my defective D700
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:26:22 am »

I just bought a D700 which exibits a vertical 'banding' issue in NEFs and JPEGs. Have sent samples of files to Nikon and they agree this is not normal. The question is, I may be able to return it to the store (I'll know tommorow). Should I do this and risk a relacement from the same batch or return it to Nikon under warrenty?

I did have a good experience with Nikon when I returned a D300 for a checkup following a drop onto a tiled floor. It came back with what I percieve to be a better autofocus. I think they may have fine tuned it.

Brian
Brian

tokengirl

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:25 am »

I would try replacing it first, it may save you a whole lot of time.  Maybe you just got a "bad copy".

LKaven

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:13:09 pm »

You might see if the store will do an even exchange first.  The likelihood of the next camera having the same problem I think is slight.  It sounds like one of your channel amplifiers is off, and I would not expect to find that problem in an entire batch of main sensor logic boards (which have the sensor and channel amplifiers together).  I haven't seen samples, but I assume it isn't subtle.  And anyway, it will be easier for you to have the store deal with returning your first D700 to Nikon, than to have you deal with Nikon yourself.

flbrit

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »

Quote from: LKaven
You might see if the store will do an even exchange first.  The likelihood of the next camera having the same problem I think is slight.  It sounds like one of your channel amplifiers is off, and I would not expect to find that problem in an entire batch of main sensor logic boards (which have the sensor and channel amplifiers together).  I haven't seen samples, but I assume it isn't subtle.  And anyway, it will be easier for you to have the store deal with returning your first D700 to Nikon, than to have you deal with Nikon yourself.
Here is a cropped example. In this case the bands are horizontal because it was shot in portrate mode. All files show this at any ISO.
Brian

LKaven

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »

Quote from: flbrit
Here is a cropped example. In this case the bands are horizontal because it was shot in portrate mode. All files show this at any ISO.
From your samples I think one of your column amplifiers is trashed.  I still think the best thing to do is to exchange the camera if you haven't already.  Either way though, it is a real hardware problem and not subtle, and I feel confident that Nikon will make good on it.

flbrit

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:02:38 pm »

Feedback on issue.

Well I decided to replace it. B&H took it back (technically outside the return by date due to holiday closure) and sent me a new 'perfect' one. Thanks B&H.

Brian
Brian

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »

Quote from: flbrit
Feedback on issue.

Well I decided to replace it. B&H took it back (technically outside the return by date due to holiday closure) and sent me a new 'perfect' one. Thanks B&H.

Brian
I'm glad that worked out. B&H is usually pretty good to deal with.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up