Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sequoia & Yosemite September visit  (Read 2692 times)

SeanBK

Sequoia & Yosemite September visit
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »

Hi,
  I am planning on visiting Sequoia National Park, Yosemite National Park & Muir Woods (by Sausalito) in middle Sept.
     Any suggestions;
   (1) Whether it is a good time to visit as I can rearrange my time table.
   (2) Any particular sites I should avoid or photograph.
        a). Sequoia N.P (Tunnel log, Gen. Sherman, CrescentMeadows-Giant Forest, Not sure @ climbing Moro Rock  
         Yosemite - the usual sought after...
   (3) Lodging reccomendations??
        Any & all help would be greatly appreciated as it is my first trip to those parks. Nikon gear - 17mm to 400mm I will have covered & will use Gitzo tripod, RRS multi layer pano stiching attachment, Polorizer & NDs.
  Thank you for all the feed backs.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:15:10 pm by SeanBK »

2jbourret

• http://jamesbourret.photoshelter.com
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:57 pm »

You will avoid crowds, have clearer air in the mountains, and less likelihood of fog at the coast if you wait 2-3 weeks, and go in early to mid October. Be sure to drive to Tuolomne Meadows at Yosemite, and the road along Bolinas Ridge and Mt. Tamalpais above Muir Woods.
Jamie Bourret
[url=http://jamesbourret.p

wittsend2

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:11 am »

Sean,

I would second Jaime's reply concerning the coast in the first/second week of October, with the added benefit of having access to the fall color in the Eastern Sierra during the same time frame. After the valley floor (with probably little or no water in the falls that time of year) a trip to Tuolomne and then on to Mono Lake/June Lake Loop would be prime time for photographing fall color, assuming Tioga pass is still open (it should be). It is only about a 30 minute trip from Tuolomne to Mono Lake, and another 20 minutes to the June Lake Loop. Most of the side canyons will have plenty to photograph, as will the road coming off of Tioga Pass. . If you decide to add this to your trip and plan to stay in Lee Vining/Yosemite, reserve early. I stayed in Lee Vining two years ago in early October and the area was packed with photographers taking workshops. I stayed at Murpheys Resort in Lee Vining-clean place and centrally located to great photographic scenery. In Sequoia/Kings Canyon, which are right next to each other, there is spectacular scenery as well, but the trees are the main attraction. There are also Redwood groves in Yosemite. Attached is a shot I took last week in Yosemite Valley on Tenaya Creek-I teach high school and it was spring break last week.  It sounds like you are going to have a great trip-enjoy.

David Wittenberg

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:05:03 pm »

Unfortunately, that's one of the worst times of year for Yosemite because many of the waterfalls are mostly dried up in late summer and autumn until the rains start.  Late spring and early summer are best there.  Oh, well.  It's still a wonderful place even without much water in many of the falls.

If you find it difficult to get reservations in Yosemite Valley, the closest of the towns outside the park is El Portal (which is still something like 30-45 minutes from the valley).  It has a very good (and huge) motel, Yosemite View Lodge; it's not cheap, but the rooms are much nicer than in most motels, it has a reasonably good restaurant, and some of the rooms are along the river, which is nice.  Motels in the farther towns of Oakhurst and Mariposa are cheaper and simpler.

Keep in mind that the roads through Yosemite park aren't fast.  If you venture into the high country on the Tioga Road or the Glacier Point road (highly recommended, especially the latter - don't miss Glacier Point, whatever you do), you will be spending time stuck behind slow-moving motor homes on twisty two-lane roads.  Allow plenty of time for driving.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

SeanBK

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:54:35 am »

Quote from: Lisa Nikodym
Unfortunately, that's one of the worst times of year for Yosemite because many of the waterfalls are mostly dried up in late summer and autumn until the rains start.  Late spring and early summer are best there.  Oh, well.  It's still a wonderful place even without much water in many of the falls.

If you find it difficult to get reservations in Yosemite Valley, the closest of the towns outside the park is El Portal (which is still something like 30-45 minutes from the valley).  It has a very good (and huge) motel, Yosemite View Lodge; it's not cheap, but the rooms are much nicer than in most motels, it has a reasonably good restaurant, and some of the rooms are along the river, which is nice.  Motels in the farther towns of Oakhurst and Mariposa are cheaper and simpler.

Keep in mind that the roads through Yosemite park aren't fast.  If you venture into the high country on the Tioga Road or the Glacier Point road (highly recommended, especially the latter - don't miss Glacier Point, whatever you do), you will be spending time stuck behind slow-moving motor homes on twisty two-lane roads.  Allow plenty of time for driving.

Lisa
Lisa, David & 2jbourret,
   Thank you for your feedback. I am trying to push back the trip but it seems much more dificult to get Airlines & Hotels rearranged. I might be stuck going at third week of Sept.     I appreciate your thoughts very much, lets see how much I can finalise & rearrange the timetable.
   Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:55:10 am by SeanBK »
Pages: [1]   Go Up