Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Much Anguish About Focus  (Read 23795 times)

Nick-T

Much Anguish About Focus
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »

Quote from: christo
Has anyone else heard this? I was thinking of sending all my lenses and camera body to canon to be checked out just to be sure there isnt an actual problem, but I would prefer not to obviously.

Yes this is what I've been told by the Hasselblad guys, AF gets more and more difficult the further from the centre of the frame you get. This is part of the rationale behind Hasselblad's focus/recompose compensation system (a.k.a "True Focus")

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Chris L

Much Anguish About Focus
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2010, 06:10:15 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
Yes this is what I've been told by the Hasselblad guys, AF gets more and more difficult the further from the centre of the frame you get. This is part of the rationale behind Hasselblad's focus/recompose compensation system (a.k.a "True Focus")

Nick-T

I guess that makes sense then. I would love to hear from others who are shooting the 1Dsmk3 to see which AF points they use and their general experience. I thought AF on a Canon was a no brainer, I guess I was wrong. ( sorry in advance, I know this is a MF forum )

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Much Anguish About Focus
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 03:36:41 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Take the Rollei TLR and the old Mamiyas: you wound a knob at the side of the body, a natural movement, quick to do and easy on the wrist. Contrast that with the helical focussing system of other such cameras, where the lens itself has to be messed around with in an unnatural, twisted wrist manner. I think the difference in comfort also carries over into how comfortable/confident the eye becomes when the wrist is not at ease. It's all connected, as they say.

Having had both the Rollei TLR and then the 'blad straight after it, though I was able to focus both well, I do think I remember the Rollei as quicker. And without doubt, once you start to 'hunt' with focussing, it goes nuts very quickly - or at least, you do!

Rob C

I agree completely with this, having also owned and used the Rollei TLRs and the 500 series 'Blads. The Rollei was a lovely thing to focus (well, lovely in a lot of other respects, too). Since I originally posted this thread, I have to say that I have improved my focus hit rate tremendously - from about 50% to nearer 80%. I have evolved a little 'trick' which seems to work for me, but I hesitate to suggest it because it may just be something to do with my particular eyesight / glasses / general ineptitude.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

philipmccormick

• http://www.pmccormickphoto.com
Much Anguish About Focus
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 05:28:10 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
I have evolved a little 'trick' which seems to work for me, but I hesitate to suggest it because it may just be something to do with my particular eyesight / glasses / general ineptitude.

John

Hey John, share your trick anyway please, it can't do any harm!

Philip
Philip

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Much Anguish About Focus
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 05:46:35 am »

Quote from: philipmccormick
Hey John, share your trick anyway please, it can't do any harm!

Philip

Philip

OK, if you are really twisting my arm. But it is quite complicated to explain (though easy to do). So I will have to take a bit of time on it (I might start a new thread). But this is where Smith will get shot down in flames  

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Chris L

Much Anguish About Focus
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 11:13:42 am »

I guess that makes sense then. I would love to hear from others who are shooting the 1Dsmk3 to see which AF points they use and their general experience. I thought AF on a Canon was a no brainer, I guess I was wrong. ( sorry in advance, I know this is a MF forum )

still hoping for some feedback regarding my quote above

billy

Much Anguish About Focus
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »

still hoping for some feedback regarding my quote above

might need to start another thread about that one, I am curious as well
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up