Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When is the right time to upgrade?  (Read 7298 times)

dreed

When is the right time to upgrade?
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:24:39 am »

For about the last 6 months, I've been thinking about upgrading from my current camera (about 4-5 years old) to something more recent. Not because the camera I have has started taking bad photographs but because I'm starting to think it is limiting me. Or maybe the lenses I have are. But  how do I know?

I seem to recall an essay here (I think, maybe elsewhere), saying that the right time to upgrade is when the equipment is limiting what you can do (lets assume funding that has already been decided.) When I think of this question, I'm left wondering, how do I know this?

If I'm shooting APS-C and wanting wider shots than what I get with the crop from a full-frame wide angle lens, does that mean my camera needs replacing or should I just get one of the wide-angle-for-APS-C lenses?

If I'm making prints, is it a case of when I want to make prints bigger than what the megapixels in the source image will do at 200 (or 300) dpi?

If I'm taking outdoor photos, is it when there's a low level of light but the ISO required to remove blur introduces too much noise? - or is that an indication that I need a faster lens? or both?

Is it looking at the pictures I'm taking, on a computer monitor (that is not capable of displaying the full colour from the captured raw image!) and thinking that there isn't enough colour depth? [Although perhaps using a computer monitor to judge this at all is flawed because there are none that can display more than 8MP, so any viewing of a picture will either be a zoomed crop or down-sampled and neither of those is a good way to really judge the quality of a complete picture.]

It is an easy thing to go out and by the next new shiny with my credit card but I'm not a fan of returning goods and nor am I a fan of making the wrong purchasing decision.

Whilst all of the above _can_ help to make better photographs, the last 4 years have taught me that:

- knowing weather patterns where you're going to be shooting (one of Reichman's trips to China comes to mind where it was timed with a full moon and he went a step further to have a fisherman be a "model")

- reading the weather and being able to be in the right place at the right time

- where you can't know what the end result of the weather will be (like what will a sunrise or sunset actually look like), it helps to be able to "go back and try again" unless you get lucky (Alan Briot's work at the Grand Canyon comes to mind of someone that had local access to a site for a period of time and was therefore able to walk out every morning to see what the "mood" of the weather was)

- a good tripod (with cable release) that doesn't have a ball-head is priceless but a light-weight tripod that does have a ball-head is better than none

- having been to the location before so that you understand what each vantage point has to offer in terms of image composition and lighting

- being able to pick the right way to compose an image for a given scene/subject, considering the light/weather

When I look at all of the above, I see numerous areas in which to improve - none of which require better equipment (except maybe the tripod.) On top of that, the cost of doing an upgrade is the cost of traveling to a new destination for a weekend/week.

I used to think that I needed an upgrade because my camera is pre-anti-dust but the addition of a pocket rocket to my kit, regular cleaning when changing lenses and inspection of a "control shot" after that has allowed me to get on top of that, so I'm not sure if I need to upgrade because of that any more.

Photography isn't my job, it's just something I do - the challenge of trying to "get the shot" pulls me in but everywhere I look and even with the people around me, "upgrade" every n years seems to be "the thing to do." Whilst some can afford the luxury of just "buying the best", I'm not in that bracket and I don't begrudge those people for it. For those whose profession is photography, there are some very basic commercial reasons to upgrade to whatever level your budget can support, as often as you can - that's not me either.

So this boils down to two questions:

To the folks here - how do I tell the difference between me or my equiupment being the limiting factor in my photographs?

For those that are amateurs like myself, what have been the signposts that you have used as the indication of when you've outgrown your equipment?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:57:02 am »

I think you would answer this question as you process and analyze your images. Like all of us, you must have a number of images that are good but don't quite make it to great in your estimation. What is it that keeps these images back? It will be different for different images, of course, but you might see a pattern emerge. Shortcomings in composition, vantage point, lighting, and subject choice obviously have nothing to do with your equipment. Shortcomings in noise, optical distortion, ability to make large prints, and the like can be attributed to equipment. Sharpness problems can be equipment, technique, or a combination.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »

There is nothing wrong with buying a new camera if you want and can afford it. It may be that the new camera will be the push you need to get out and shoot more -- which is the real way that a "new shiny" will improve your photography.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:48:46 pm »

Hi,
I've always used photography not as a definitive output (as a photograph) but as a language for art-works ("paintings").
In my case, the size and the PP treatment determines a lot the gear.
As a photographer, I'm an amateur, and own a 12mp aps Pentax that fits my needs for all the streets, portraits etc...that I can do for my own pleasure.
But I also use photography for professional purposes that involved big sizes (2m +). There, it's a matter of cost-performance.
Because the 12mp aps is not suitable any more in that case.

To be honest, I see little interest, thinking long term investment, in being stucked in APS land. There are niches that it is more an advantage, but I see more downsides. Whatever is the brand, I think that FF is not a luxury at all and certainly will give you more satisfactions and flexibility.

Regards,

Fred.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:46:21 pm »

Quote from: dreed
To the folks here - how do I tell the difference between me or my equipment being the limiting factor in my photographs?

For those that are amateurs like myself, what have been the signposts that you have used as the indication of when you've outgrown your equipment?

Like yourself I am an amateur photographer.  My current "best" DSLR is a Canon 1Ds Mark II. I bought it used when people upgraded to the Mark III and I wanted more megapixels for larger prints (up from a 1D Mark II, also bought used).

My own rule of thumb is to upgrade when I start running up against hard limits, and I look for big improvements, not incremental ones.

What you consider "big" and an "improvement" really depends on what and how you shoot.  Better autofocusing, if you shoot action or sports.  Better high ISO's, if you work a lot in low light.  More megapixels - maybe, depends.  A bigger LCD or Live View - not by itself.

The quality of your glass or support gear like tripod or tripod head might make more of a difference than a new camera body.

More importantly you need to ask yourself if you are working using best practices in your photography.  No matter how much you spend on gear, sloppy technique will trump any gear no matter what.

Best,

Paul
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:47:56 pm by Paul Sumi »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:25:43 pm »

I would spend some time on the site of Thom Hogan at www.bythom.com (even if you don't shoot using Nikon equipment).

He has written more useful stuff than anybody else I know to help photographers like you figure out how to move forward.

As far as I am concerned the latest piece of photographic equipment I invested in is a new pair of lighter winter mountaineering shoes because I figured these would help me the most.

Cheers,
Bernard

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:31:11 pm »

Well this is a really good thread and all of your concerns are valid. I haven't read the posts yet, but I wanted to reply before I got sidetracked.

There are only two things, beside your own skill, that can affect your images.

(1) Camera
(2) Lens

I'm excluding things like malfunction, since that would come under "Camera" and the environment, since that would come under something you have no control over. Thus, I think these two items are all you need to worry about.

APS-C: Read about this and YOU make the decision: Read about APS-C lenses compared to Full Frame lenses.

Camera: How do your images look? If they are good enough form you, then the camera is good enough too.

Things to ponder and research:

ISO performance
Resolution for large prints, or  if you even need this
FPS for action shots
Lens comparisons
Cost

and the lens is the most important part of your investment, as long as you have a quality camera, not expensive, but quality. A Canon 20D was a quality camera. I canon 5D MKI is a quality camera and can be had CHEAP used, and has 13MPs.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:37:12 pm by dwdallam »

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:34:29 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I would spend some time on the site of Thom Hogan at www.bythom.com (even if you don't shoot using Nikon equipment).

He has written more useful stuff than anybody else I know to help photographers like you figure out how to move forward.

As far as I am concerned the latest piece of photographic equipment I invested in is a new pair of lighter winter mountaineering shoes because I figured these would help me the most.

Cheers,
Bernard

You know it. Every ounce matters when you are hiking urban or wilderness. Owe, my F-ing shoulder, back, legs, (insert body part here).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:51:56 pm »

Hi,

I'd say that the questions you ask are very good.

My answer would be that you would see the limitations.

- You may want to print larger.
- Do your prints lack detail?
- Are they noisy?

In general, I would recommend that you learn to make the most of what you have, before moving on. Tripods are essential for many types of shooting.

Regarding print size I have an article here:

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.ph...xels-do-we-need

My guess is that APS-C is quite OK. Full frame has some extra reserve regarding resolution and simply collects more light.

Finally, two observations:

- When I look at older pictures I feel some regret that they were not taken with better equipment.

- New stuff usually is not just better but also more usable, Live View, microfocus adjustment, faster autofocus all that can make your life easier.

Buying new stuff moves you into the spending lane, be aware of that!

Best regards
Erik

For about the last 6 months, I've been thinking about upgrading from my current camera (about 4-5 years old) to something more recent. Not because the camera I have has started taking bad photographs but because I'm starting to think it is limiting me. Or maybe the lenses I have are. But  how do I know?

I seem to recall an essay here (I think, maybe elsewhere), saying that the right time to upgrade is when the equipment is limiting what you can do (lets assume funding that has already been decided.) When I think of this question, I'm left wondering, how do I know this?

If I'm shooting APS-C and wanting wider shots than what I get with the crop from a full-frame wide angle lens, does that mean my camera needs replacing or should I just get one of the wide-angle-for-APS-C lenses?

If I'm making prints, is it a case of when I want to make prints bigger than what the megapixels in the source image will do at 200 (or 300) dpi?

If I'm taking outdoor photos, is it when there's a low level of light but the ISO required to remove blur introduces too much noise? - or is that an indication that I need a faster lens? or both?

Is it looking at the pictures I'm taking, on a computer monitor (that is not capable of displaying the full colour from the captured raw image!) and thinking that there isn't enough colour depth? [Although perhaps using a computer monitor to judge this at all is flawed because there are none that can display more than 8MP, so any viewing of a picture will either be a zoomed crop or down-sampled and neither of those is a good way to really judge the quality of a complete picture.]

It is an easy thing to go out and by the next new shiny with my credit card but I'm not a fan of returning goods and nor am I a fan of making the wrong purchasing decision.

Whilst all of the above _can_ help to make better photographs, the last 4 years have taught me that:

- knowing weather patterns where you're going to be shooting (one of Reichman's trips to China comes to mind where it was timed with a full moon and he went a step further to have a fisherman be a "model")

- where you can't know what the end result of the weather will be (like what will a sunrise or sunset actually look like), it helps to be able to "go back and try again" unless you get lucky (Alan Briot's work at the Grand Canyon comes to mind of someone that had local access to a site for a period of time and was therefore able to walk out every morning to see what the "mood" of the weather was)

- a good tripod (with cable release) that doesn't have a ball-head is priceless but a light-weight tripod that does have a ball-head is better than none

- having been to the location before so that you understand what each vantage point has to offer in terms of image composition and lighting

- being able to pick the right way to compose an image for a given scene/subject, considering the light/weather

When I look at all of the above, I see numerous areas in which to improve - none of which require better equipment (except maybe the tripod.) On top of that, the cost of doing an upgrade is the cost of traveling to a new destination for a weekend/week.

I used to think that I needed an upgrade because my camera is pre-anti-dust but the addition of a pocket rocket to my kit, regular cleaning when changing lenses and inspection of a "control shot" after that has allowed me to get on top of that, so I'm not sure if I need to upgrade because of that any more.

Photography isn't my job, it's just something I do - the challenge of trying to "get the shot" pulls me in but everywhere I look and even with the people around me, "upgrade" every n years seems to be "the thing to do." Whilst some can afford the luxury of just "buying the best", I'm not in that bracket and I don't begrudge those people for it. For those whose profession is photography, there are some very basic commercial reasons to upgrade to whatever level your budget can support, as often as you can - that's not me either.

To the folks here - how do I tell the difference between me or my equiupment being the limiting factor in my photographs?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:54:55 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

dreed

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:49:20 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier

Cheers,
Bernard

I've only occasionally looked at his web site and having looked at it today, the front page of it addresses the very question I'm asking with this:

(From www.bythom.com)
---
My basic order of "upgrading" is:

1. Upgrade the photographer. ...
   2. Upgrade the support and shot discipline. ...
   3. Upgrade the lens. ...
   4. Upgrade your understanding. ...
   5. Upgrade your camera. ...
---
Problem is that I'd link (3) to (5) because the move from one format to another may well influence your decision(s) about which lens(es) to buy as part of the "upgrade."

I suppose my question therefore resides with #1 - how do you know when you, the photographer, has reached the limit of your equipment. To contrast with Thom's example of violin playing, there are musical exams you can sit and where someone can judge your ability. And then there's listening to what's played. But the biggest difference is that a violinist isn't typically required to be a composer and a player - all they need to do is perfect the art of playing.

As a photographer, I need to think about composition and the execution of that composition - it isn't simply a matter of going to some well known landmark, setting up my gear and taking a photo to be judged by whoever for "correctness." Getting the photo properly exposed (post) and without blur (tripod+focus) does not necessarily make it "good" and perhaps not even "correct", yet the photo is technically without flaw.

What is the equivalent for a photographer to the violin player passing grade X? Is there any? Is it submitting your photos to online competitions? Is it submitting your photos to local fairs where photographs are judged? For online competitions, being able to enter requires having the time at hand to find a suitable subject that meets the criteria. For people busy with a 9-5 work life, finding the time to get out and practice can be a challenge all unto its own.

Ray

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 11:45:33 pm »

This is a question we all have to consider. Buying new gear simply because it's the latest and best, is mindless.

I've been associated with LL for many years. When I first joined, the latest review from Michael was all about the 3mp Canon D30 which could, amazingly, produce better A4 size prints than 35m film, and virtually as good at A3 size.

But the camera was very expensive. Much more expensive than the best 35mm film camera, so I held off buying it. Since I'd already started scanning 35mm film, a 3mp image seemed a bit pathetic by comparison. Maybe as good or better at A4 size, but those of us who are a bit obsessed with image quality want higher resolution and higher image quality for the higher price, not equal image quality.

When a year or so later the Canon 6mp D60 was released at the same price as the D30, I felt more comfortable jumping in and buying the D60. Michael's review claimed the D60 was on a par with 35mm film up to A3+ size. Beyond A3+ size, 35mm film still had the edge. However, that didn't worry me because the 'then' current and affordable Epson desktop printers were no larger than A3+. I still use my Epson 1290.

When upgrading a camera, you should consider the occasions when your current camera let you down because the specs were not high enough. Those instances when you found your camera was not up to the job might include; inaccurate auto-focussing; noisy shadows at high ISO; reduced resolution and reduced image quality in general at high ISO; slow frame rate which doesn't lend itself to hand-held auto-bracketing of exposure or hand-held multiple exposures for stacking purposes, and a viewfinder which doesn't lend itself to critically accurate manual focussing

As an amateur, the size of your printer is also a significant consideration. A professional might never know if his image might be required for a really huge print. If you are in the business of selling your images, it's better to have the highest resolution possible, considering future demands.

If you are an amateur, there's still a need to consider future print sizes. Do not assume because your current printer may be A3+ size or A2 size, that it will always be that size.

In choosing a camera, there are many considerations that have to be weighed and balanced. The significance of each attribute is a personal decision. Perhaps weight is an important consideration. You then have to compare the relative merits of weight (and cost) as opposed to ultimate image quality. For me, the weight and cost disadvantages of MFDB systems overshadow the image quality advantages which seems to exist only at low ISOs.

Deciding whether or not the improvements in a new model of camera are worthwhile should not be difficult. The major problem is unwittingly upgrading to a camera which is too soon superceded by an even better one.

Within 6 months of my buying a Canon 40D, the 50D was announced. 50% more mp, higher resolution LCD screen for more accurate manual focussing, and micro-adjustment of lens auto-focussing properties. I couldn't resist.

250swb

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 07:10:27 am »

Its an easy thing to get a little jaded, and an input of new equipment can brighten the mood again. But its the case that a good photographer will be able to make a good photograph with almost any camera. That is a good photograph, not a photograph that purely serves to exhibit the excellence of a new camera specification.

So (given you don't have a direction thats clear to you) I think you need to go on a mission about photography before embarking on a mission about cameras. Start from the beginning and decide to work at whichever subject may excite you. If its landscape see what others are doing, not on the internet, get some books and see some exhibitions. The words and pictures often work together to enthuse you and show how other photographers get some direction into their work (I don't mean purely technical books therefore).

After seeing the end of the tunnel and the direction you'd like to try and go, see if the camera you have is up to the job. It doesn't need to be better than the job, it doesn't need to be the latest. For instance if you look at gallery photographs large/massive print enlargements are pretty much yesterday (other than in the decorative market). A lot of work has come back to human scale sizes, so you might concluded a camera capable of massive prints is not necessary. In fact 'small but perfectly formed' has never really gone away. You see what I'm saying, the hype about equipment doesn't stop you fitting in to photography as it exists beyond the internet and theoretical expectations (print size etc). On the other hand you want equipment that will be easy to use, so a DSLR for discreet street shooting is less able than a Leica or m4/3 camera. So, its easy, prioritise the subject of the photograph, let the equipment simply be a tool to do it with.

Steve

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:11:56 pm »

Damn good advice from Steve; I'd only add that the time to upgrade is when your existing camera starts to falter technically or you find yourself stuck in the wrong format: e.g. you bought into cropped format when your film stuff was all 35mm full-frame! (This is personal history here!)

Starting again, and/or if personal situation permits, I would simply adopt FF 35mm digital. I still own a very good film camera (F3) and cropped digi alongside the FF digi, but despite the attractions of film and owning a darn good scanner, the actual filmic processing prior to scanning has become too awkward for my circumstances; not unpleasant or difficult, but awkward for logistical reasons.

Rob C

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 12:23:00 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Starting again, and/or if personal situation permits, I would simply adopt FF 35mm digital.

+1

Apart from my increased interest in FF, and given a limited budget, I would submit that an investment in lenses brings you a more satisfying 'update' than the current breed of xxMP camera bodies. (Just invested $250 in a 3rd party 85mm 1.4 to see what that's like - can always offload on eBay if needed).

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:28:03 pm »

Am I making these pictures for yourself?  Or for someone else?  Professionals (who make images for others) may have far different needs than amateurs (who make images for themselves).

I don't need the absolute latest and greatest camera body, nor do I need "full frame"  My Nikon D300s continue to be better photographers than me.  What I do need is the satisfaction generated by the images I create.  When I go "WOW!" when I see the output from my printer, that's the return on investment.  Otherwise, why bother?

I would humbly suggest that a digital camera that's several years old is a candidate for upgrading, but big changes are on the horizon for those who are content to wait a few more months.

I agree.  Thom Hogan's advice is excellent.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »

If you are going to upgrade your camera, try to get something you will be happy with for a long time. MFD is now "affordable", and might be an option you might consider... particularly as, if you pick the right system, you can upgrade it for ever.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

fredjeang

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 02:34:45 pm »

Yes,
I think this is important thinking long term.
Many interesting and wised comments have been posted in this thread.

I would say, and apologyse if repeat some points made,
1) choose a coherent system, I mean by that, a system that offers you security (stability),
that has wide range of lenses and accessories in both new and second-hand market.

2) Take care a lot to the handling more than the MP etc... The balance, ergonomics, design etc...
How do you feel with the gear. You have to feel just right.

As it has been pointed, choose the right camera, idealy just a little above.
It's not necessary to upgrade more than you'll need, on the other hand, the higher you can afford, the longuest it will last before
you'll upgrade again.

3) The lenses are very important. I agree that upgrading the lenses is maybe a first step to consider before upgrading the camera.
It can actually makes you rediscover your gear.

4) I've read that first one needs to upgrade himself. Sometimes however, a jump on a new system acts as a stimulation.
It's nown that a lot of photographers have discovered their way and style when suddenly they had new gear in their hands.
Sometimes things happen that way and can bring you a new dimension, but it is not guarantee.

5) You have to be satisfied with you first, because if not and you upgrade, you may find the same unsatisfaction.
When I say with you, it means that you can be limited by a gear of course, but you have to be satisfied with what you are doing,
even if you are limited by this or that.

Regards,

Fred.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 08:04:39 pm »

I think it really comes down to waiting until you can clearly identify a gap in your capabilities that is caused by equipment.  Frequently the knowledge of a gap comes with time and experience.  You may not be able to understand the potential benefits of a new piece of equipment and as a result, you are not ready.  

Last year I bought a canon 430EXII flash.  I learned with it.  I messed around with it.  I used light shaping tools.  Then I decided that I really needed two flashes (one master and one slave) to get the smooth wraparound light I wanted.  The 430EX was no longer enough for me to continue growing, so I sought out a multi-flash solution by getting a 580EX.  I learned. I identified a gap.  I then upgraded.  Now I understand that the 7D can operate as a master.  1 year ago, that wouldn't have meant anything to me.

So, wait until you can identify a clear gap.

--or--

Buy the newest camera you can afford every six months. haha
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:05:10 pm by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 07:14:32 am »

Quote from: fike
...Then I decided that I really needed two flashes (one master and one slave) to get the smooth wraparound light I wanted.  The 430EX was no longer enough for me to continue growing, so I sought out a multi-flash solution by getting a 580EX.  I learned. I identified a gap.  I then upgraded.  Now I understand that the 7D can operate as a master.  1 year ago, that wouldn't have meant anything to me.
I went through a similar process, and ended up with 4 big Metzs.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

RichardGilbert

• http://www.richardvgilbert.com
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 05:40:27 pm »

I use to think I had an awesome camera. I was shooting the Canon Rebel XT! HAHA! I upgraded to the 7D (which takes the same lenses)! I picked up my Rebel the other day and I couldn't believe how much it limited me as compared to my 7D. The crazy thing is that I never would have known that if I never would have purchased my 7D. Unless your camera is THE VERY BEST then it will always limit you in SOME sort of way. Maybe not in a way that you even care about. Perhaps the camera you shoot now has 7 fps and the best one shoots 9 fps. That's a limitation but not one you would care about unless you shot sports.

Another reason to upgrade is that I always find more motivation to shoot after an upgrade. It takes me back to my first camera and I get all those butterflies back in my stomach and it motovates me to shoot more and enjoy photography more.
Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
USMC Retired
Scout/Sniper

"What can I say?! I like shooting stuff!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up