Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Night in St. Augustine  (Read 3610 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Night in St. Augustine
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:41 am »

Night, St. Augustine, Florida, St. George street, April 1, 2010. Pushed a bit.

[attachment=21269:StAug_162_B_W.jpg]
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

seamus finn

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:41 am »

Great shot, Russ, and lovely tones too. I like the expression on the face of the girl on the right plus the stance of the chap in the middle plus the cigarette smoke caught between them in the window light plus how the girl holding the cigarette seems to have been sidelined. Intriguing.

Seamus
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:47:41 am by seamus finn »

popnfresh

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:27 pm »

Russ - As always, great work. A great "decisive moment" capture. And technically flawless.

Rob C

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

Nice; reminds me of a scene in a movie that I part-saw just recently on TV, but I can't remember what it was. The shot takes place in a school dining room and the white girl makes some crack about the coloured boy to a girl who turns out to be the boy's sister. It is about dance.... or for as long as I saw it it was about dance.

There is something about b/w that leaves colour out in the cold. Oddly, it comes over as more realistic.

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:27:49 pm by Rob C »

RSL

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »

Seamus, I still think the tones in the series you put up are better. Of course, the acid test would be actual prints. In any case, I came close to your range of tones with this one. On the other hand, this is a night shot and that always compresses the mid-tones, so maybe I shouldn't hang my head.

Pop, Thanks. I was in St. Augustine for two nights, one full day, and part of two others. I shot 220 frames and this was the best of the lot. Most of them were in daylight, and some were in places on the way there and on the way back. There are a few other keepers, but not ones I'd be willing to hang my reputation on.

Rob, B&W comes over as more realistic because it removes the distractions of color and leaves behind the nut of the matter. I shot this in color, of course, because that's what my D3 shoots, in this case with the 50mm f/1.4 lens I use for night stalking. In the original, that shoulder on the left is red and the athletic shirt on the kid in the center is orange. The girl back against the wall on the left is wearing a green shirt. Out of the frame to the right there's a kid whose shoulder protrudes into the frame and he's wearing a black and red plaid. Directly behind the smoke and to the left of the girl against the wall is a guy wearing a bright blue shirt and cap. Actually, the color version isn't bad, but all that color distracts from the main point, which is the interplay between the kid in the center with the fine posture and the girl on the right at the back. In the end, it was the B&W version I saw when I raised the camera and shot. Actually I don't think it's odd that B&W seems more realistic in a situation like this one.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:02:06 pm by RSL »

fredjeang

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:26:06 pm »

A perfect instant photograph about how the attraction operates in mother nature. There is something really instantaneous and animal (instinctive).
Great instant Russ.

Fred.

popnfresh

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:29:48 pm »

Quote from: RSL
I shot 220 frames and this was the best of the lot. Most of them were in daylight, and some were in places on the way there and on the way back. There are a few other keepers, but not ones I'd be willing to hang my reputation on.
Isn't it nice to be shooting digital? I consider one great shot in a day of shooting to be a good day. I'd be in the poor house if I was still shooting film.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:30:13 pm by popnfresh »

RSL

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 03:19:55 pm »

Pop, You bet it's great to be shooting digital, though I don't shoot that much more than I used to with 35mm. I used to load my own cassettes from 100 foot rolls of Tri-X and Ilford HP-4. 220 frames is just over 6 rolls of  film. With film I'd probably have shot about 4 rolls on this trip. But with digital I don't mind making duplicate shots, of which I had many from this shoot. With the street stuff, of course, you only get one chance.

By the way, if I could get one "great" shot a day I'd be in hog heaven. I consider myself fortunate if I get one shot a year that I'd anchor my reputation on.

Rob C

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:56:09 pm »

By the way, if I could get one "great" shot a day I'd be in hog heaven. I consider myself fortunate if I get one shot a year that I'd anchor my reputation on.

That's the great thing about well-edited retrospectives: you only need a few good shots and have a lifetime's work from which to choose...

Someone wrote about being happy to be shooting digital because of the cost of shooting the same volume with film. I have a feeling that it's not as straight a balance as that implies: with film, speaking for myself, I was far more selective about what I shot and probably the better for it.

Rob C

fredjeang

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 04:52:45 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
That's the great thing about well-edited retrospectives: you only need a few good shots and have a lifetime's work from which to choose...

Someone wrote about being happy to be shooting digital because of the cost of shooting the same volume with film. I have a feeling that it's not as straight a balance as that implies: with film, speaking for myself, I was far more selective about what I shot and probably the better for it.

Rob C
I do agree 100% with that.
I noticed that with digital, my rate of keepers drastically decreased first. I thought first that it was because I stopped photography for a very long time and I lost the feeling. But then, I started to realised that with digital, I tend to look less, I'm less carrefull etc...it is so easy to do it again. But in the end, I'm less conscient about what I'm really doing. With film you had to, no second chance.
So it is like a re-learning.

Fred.

RSL

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 07:34:17 pm »

Fred, You're quite right. You can make some dreadful mistakes with digital and then correct them with a rerun after a quick chimp. When we moved and I lost space for my darkroom I laid off for a long period too and then came back at the beginning of digital. But I don't think I was less careful. It was wonderful to have a camera in my hands again and I walked the streets downtown every evening after dinner and pounced on all sorts of things. Later on I began to become less fussy with certain kinds of shots, and if you look closely you may find that your tendency to be less careful was focused on a particular kind of shot. Mine certainly was.

Here are a couple more from my St. Augustine shoot. Both of these need to stay in color.

[attachment=21353:StAug_033.jpg]   [attachment=21352:StAug_067.jpg]

For me at least, street shooting was no different with digital than it had been with film. On the street you only get one chance. That's the case with the kid and the dad with the cigar. One chance, one shot. On the other hand, the night shot of Scarlett O'Hara's is the kind of thing where you can afford to relax and be less careful. I think I shot about six frames of Scarlett's. Why not? Digital's cheap. People moved around in the various frames, and I chose this one more or less arbitrarily.

But film or digital, photography's wonderful stuff.

Rob C

Night in St. Augustine
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »

But film or digital, photography's wonderful stuff.

If not downright compulsive!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up