Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 8100 - Enlargement / Picture size of DPI setting?  (Read 2211 times)

geossl

Canon 8100 - Enlargement / Picture size of DPI setting?
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:09:13 am »

I would like to ask what is the appropriate DPI setting for printing to Canon 8100 printer?

Moreover, what is the destination colour space? If using adobe RGB, the software can automatically convert to the printer colour space?

hsmeets

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:51:09 am »

Quote from: geossl
I would like to ask what is the appropriate DPI setting for printing to Canon 8100 printer?

Moreover, what is the destination colour space? If using adobe RGB, the software can automatically convert to the printer colour space?

Destination colorspace: the printer does not have a default color space, it's the printer, media setting AND paper that has a colorspace. This is measured and stored in a profile file. These profiles: can be created by the printer and/or paper supplier, 3rd parties or yourselves with profiling toolkit (Xrite, datacolor, etc etc).

The software used to print, either the application or the printerdriver, will convert the colorspace of your file to the printer with help of the profile file. As the colorspace of your file and printer can be disjunct you can instruct the software to apply certain strategies to map colors, that is the so called rendering intent.

I don't want to sound as a smart ass but given the sound of your question I want to suggest some intense reading on the subject of colormanagement and printing.
Cheers,

Huib

geossl

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:56 am »

What is the DPI setting before sharpening process?

Quote from: hsmeets
Destination colorspace: the printer does not have a default color space, it's the printer, media setting AND paper that has a colorspace. This is measured and stored in a profile file. These profiles: can be created by the printer and/or paper supplier, 3rd parties or yourselves with profiling toolkit (Xrite, datacolor, etc etc).

The software used to print, either the application or the printerdriver, will convert the colorspace of your file to the printer with help of the profile file. As the colorspace of your file and printer can be disjunct you can instruct the software to apply certain strategies to map colors, that is the so called rendering intent.

I don't want to sound as a smart ass but given the sound of your question I want to suggest some intense reading on the subject of colormanagement and printing.

Pete Berry

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:06:32 pm »

Quote from: geossl
What is the DPI setting before sharpening process?

If you're printing with a specific paper/printer profile, with Photoshop or other software controlling, then your print file's color space is automatically recognized. But with printing directly from the Canon driver (printer control) you have to specify this in the "Color Settings" driver section - in my iPF5000, sub heading of "Matching".

The DPI question: I think you are referring to your print file resolution, which is expressed in PPI (pixels per inch) which is used for digital input, rather than DPI (dots per inch), which refers to analog output devices such as printers. After sizing your image, re-sampling to at least 180-240 PPI for very large prints, or 300 PPI for smaller ones is appropriate before output sharpening.

You sure picked a huge printer to learn with! And the above is only touching the surface - sharpening and color management are complex arts and sciences of their own.

Pete

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:33:24 pm »

I believe Canon printers like to see 300 or 600 PPI, while Epson's like images that are 180, 240, 360 and 480. If the imagess are coming from your camera, what is the file size in terms of PPI and dimensions?

BTW, I don't see how sharpening figures into your size question. The size will not change after sharpening.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:34:45 pm by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

geossl

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:55:33 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone
I believe Canon printers like to see 300 or 600 PPI, while Epson's like images that are 180, 240, 360 and 480. If the imagess are coming from your camera, what is the file size in terms of PPI and dimensions?

BTW, I don't see how sharpening figures into your size question. The size will not change after sharpening.

Hi Randy,

Sharpening works best after resizing. For optimal result, sharpening should be resolution specific.

Thanks for your printer info.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:41:52 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone

I have an IPF5100 and have printed at everything from 180 PPI to 480+PPI and I really dont think there is a single 'right answer' on what the printer 'likes' to see.

According to Canon's own FAQ in their recent podcasts (link is on my blog Here) they actually recommend 200 PPI. But again... I think your mileage may vary.

If printing from Lightroom with an X100 series printer I am finding that the uprezing built into LR is now so good that I uprez anything 240 PPI or less to usually 300 or 360 with excellent results. I dont worry to much about what the final PPI is I am sending to the printer as long as its more than 240 and less than 480. Likewise LRs output print sharpening is now so good and so easy to use that its a joy - perhaps a factor in the reason final PPI is not that important as long as you stay within the 240-480 safety margins.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:08:46 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
According to Canon's own FAQ in their recent podcasts (link is on my blog Here) they actually recommend 200 PPI. But again... I think your mileage may vary.
I was surprised to see that as well. 200 ppi might work well for their proofing and CAD markets but for fine art printing, 240 ppi clearly shows more details than 200 ppi, and 300 ppi more detail than 240 ppi. Even though the iPF printers can accept 600 ppi they can't resolve it, so sending 600 ppi image files leads to less sharp prints relative to those prepped at, say 300, ppi.

I agree that Lightroom's print sharpening is brilliant. Exceptions aside, 300 ppi with "standard" sharpening (for whichever surface) is what I generally recommend to LR users printing to Canon's iPF printers.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up