Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which lens for new leica M9  (Read 9338 times)

250swb

Which lens for new leica M9
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 04:32:20 am »

Quote from: photo4
Thank you everyone for your input.  I greatly appreciate it.

I have essentially written off the WATE and have narrowed it down to either 35mm or 50mm lux.  If I am to choose one, which one would you recommend?  Also, any advantage or disadvantage for chrome vs black lens?

THank you all in advance.

The 50mm Lux is probably the best lens you'll ever own. The 35mm Lux is widely reported to suffer from 'some' aperture related focus shift (something that is compensated for in DSLR's), but I've never used one so can't say for sure. They are the same lens re silver or black, although the silver version is heavier because the chrome plating can only be put over brass barrels.

I would go with the 50mm Lux out of those two. But if I had to choose my first M lens all over again I'd keep it simple and go with the 35mm Asph Summicron, its small, light, super IQ, fast enough, and a general 'do it all' focal length.

Steve

Dick Roadnight

Which lens for new leica M9
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 10:36:07 am »

I have a Leica D lux 3... and the only thing wrong with it is that you cannot (easily) use it with external flash, so I am considering changing it for the D lux 4. I think both of these cameras are good enough for Getty.

If there was a semi-wide to portrait lens for the M9 (like the 50-110 for the H3/4) I might be tempted to buy one, if it was pocket-able.

I had a Rollie 35 which complimented my Nikon system in the '70s, but they will not be making a 60Mpx pocket camera any time soon.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up