Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiking Boots / Trail Runners  (Read 5590 times)

novascotiaskier

• scottcampbell.nl
Hiking Boots / Trail Runners
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »

I noticed on Thom Hogan's site he's recommending moving from hiking boots to trail runners.

I was a little surprised by that. While they are more comfortable out of the box, I would have thought the cushioning would compress more quickly due to the weight of carrying camera gear. I'm about to retire a pair of hiking boots and before I go to switch to something with less ankle support and possibly be less durable, I thought I would ask: anyone out there packing gear on the trail while wearing trail runners?
-Scott.

scottcampbell.nl

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:45:38 pm »

Hi,

What you ask is actually very important for a hiking/traveling photographer. I travelled around the world during 2.5 months in 2003 with a pair of trail runners on my feet, and with a photo backpack weighing 12-16kg (26-35LBS). My lesson is that ankle support and a pair of very good hiking boots is very essential.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:46:22 pm by Anders_HK »

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:14:28 am »

Quote from: Anders_HK
Hi,

What you ask is actually very important for a hiking/traveling photographer. I travelled around the world during 2.5 months in 2003 with a pair of trail runners on my feet, and with a photo backpack weighing 12-16kg (26-35LBS). My lesson is that ankle support and a pair of very good hiking boots is very essential.

Regards
Anders

I totally agree with Anders... but my problem is a weak ankle after moving my brother-in-law and twisting my ankle to the point of a nice swollen watermelon.  Since then I wear hikers... even when others around me are wearing sandals.    

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 03:06:00 am »

I wouldn't hit the trail with trail runners unless the trail is very smooth/flat + my backpack is almost empty + distance hiked is short + hankle support is not needed + durability is not important.

You'd better choose a lightweight hiking boot that would offer some hankle support and a good solid sole.

Francois

novascotiaskier

• scottcampbell.nl
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:58:44 am »

That's pretty much what I have been thinking.  I can see trail runners if you are street shooting with a couple of bodies and an extra lens, but I can't see giving up ankle support or durability when lugging a loaded bag on a trail.

thanks for the feedback!!
-Scott.

scottcampbell.nl

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:39 pm »

It does depend on the kinds of trails. If there are tree roots and moisture involved you will regret not having boots due mostly to incredibly slippery roots. Boots won’t stop you from slipping necessarily, but they probably will stop you from getting a sprain or worse.

Fwiw I'm a fan of the Asolo line.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:08:05 pm »

Well, after breaking my ankle in 3 parts with a super-high-cuff extra-heavy hiking boot about ten years ago, I only walk with trail runners.

A physiotherapist friend explained me that ankle support is actually better for trained walkers with trails, because the ankle gets the full sensitivity and proprioception with lighter shoes, whereas a higher boot that serrate the ankle makes the muscle slower to react to un-balances.
The fact is, it works, at least if you're a bit trained.... and the pleasure to walk with lighter shoes is not to be underestimated (at least if you're not too heavily charged, or course - I keep my rebel, thanks  ). I really rediscovered the pleasure of walking (light).

The main con of trail shoes could be when you get your feet wet ; I personally prefer getting wet and drying quickly (best with good socks and a small gaiter), rather that macerating in a waterproof-and-not-that-breathable goretex shoe. Matters of taste and perspiration.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:26 pm »

I think you'll find that trail runners are very common among long distance hikers. I switched over more than ten years ago, and haven't worn my heavy leather hiking boots since. They work fine for me carrying loads up to 40+ pounds, though lately my loads have been much lighter.

The downside is cost, since I need a new pair every year, if not more often, and they are pushing $100 now. My old Scarpa boots were $300 and were still in perfect condition after many years of use.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:54:46 am »

I'm a mountaineer who takes photos, rather than a photographer who gets into the mountains. I've got full-on mountain boots (Meindl Mountain Crack Pro) for serious crampon use, but frankly, for most things, I use a pair of Keen Targhee II mids, and they'll even take a flexible crampon. If the weather is decent, and I'm on a trail, I use Scarpa Axis trail shoes. Can't imagine using boots outside of a Scottish winter or well above the snowline in the Alps, and even then, only if I'm going to be in crampons all day.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:36:20 am »

I believe that he is right.

I have been using my Montrail goretex trail shoes more and more these past 2 years. Just did 23km over 8 hours with them today with a cummulated up of about 1700m and a down of 2000m.

Their strenghts are:

- light weight but rigid enough
- comfortable
- great grip in slippery and steep terrain
- reasonnably breathable considering the gore membrane

The only time when I would not use them outside winter is when I know that heavy rain is going to be part of the deal or if I carry more than 20kg packs.

One difficult thing with these shoes though is sizing. It has to be perfect. Too large will compromise stability, too small will result in painful toes. Correct sizing is a lot more critical with trailshoes than with traditional boots.

On the trail with me today was a good friend who happens to have a French mountain guide degree recently gained in Chamonix. Few people still walk with traditional hiking shoes overthere also.

I do of course use my Aku Spiders for winter trekking with crampons, but for most other things good trail shoes are just great IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

novascotiaskier

• scottcampbell.nl
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 01:46:21 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I believe that he is right.

I have been using my Montrail goretex trail shoes more and more these past 2 years. Just did 23km over 8 hours with them today with a cummulated up of about 1700m and a down of 2000m.
Bernard:

Do you mean trail runners or trail shoes?  My understanding is that the runners (designed for running) have more flex in the forefoot and less torsional rigidity.  The trail shoes are designed for walking with light loads.

thanks,
-Scott.
-Scott.

scottcampbell.nl

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »

Quote from: novascotiaskier
Bernard:

Do you mean trail runners or trail shoes?  My understanding is that the runners (designed for running) have more flex in the forefoot and less torsional rigidity.  The trail shoes are designed for walking with light loads.

I mean shoes designed for trail running like these (I own the same, just the 2.5 years old version).

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?prod=...t=110&top=1

Cheers,
Bernard

novascotiaskier

• scottcampbell.nl
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 09:37:31 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I mean shoes designed for trail running like these (I own the same, just the 2.5 years old version).

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?prod=...t=110&top=1

Cheers,
Bernard

Gottcha.  There are a couple of stores that sell this brand here in town, so I will scoot by and check them out.

thx.
-Scott.

scottcampbell.nl

Sheldon N

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 11:13:39 pm »

I'm totally with Chairman Bill, love my Keens. I have a pair of the Targhee Mid II boots, and they are wonderful. Comfortable, very lightweight, waterproof and great for hiking.

Totally recommended, I wear them pretty much exclusively when I head out to hike/shoot.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

lightstand

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:16:17 am »

I use to hike in trail runners & or minimal footwear. Worked a summer doing photo-documentation of some ancient-pueblo ruins in the backcountry where we could only wear soft-sole shoes to minimize footprints (basically slippers) and have done quite a bit of backcountry hiking in Tevas, flip flops etc.  I also grew up in the desert where I'm still rather conscience about hiking or biking in wet conditions.

With all that said the benefit of good hiking boots is walking through puddles and trail etiquette, with a lighter shoe I am always more apt to walk around mud puddles widening the trail creating more damage where as with good hiking boots I don't have a problem walking through a bad spot minimizing the damage to the trails.  In today's world of every trail being fairly used and tracked to have a solid set of hiking boots without the aggressive soles would be great.

Yes for good portion of the trails today a teva sandal or trail runner will work much better if you have the ankles however you are always going to come to problem spots and are more likely to avoid wet muddy areas therefore creating more trail damage by widening those sections. just a thought to consider

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 10:27:58 am »

Quote from: lightstand
Yes for good portion of the trails today a teva sandal or trail runner will work much better if you have the ankles however you are always going to come to problem spots and are more likely to avoid wet muddy areas therefore creating more trail damage by widening those sections. just a thought to consider

True, but gore trail shoes can basically go through mud pretty well as long as it is not too deep.

Cheers,
Bernard

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 12:35:43 am »

I've got a bad ankle that I've hurt repeatedly over the years, to the point where now even a very slight roll (say, from stepping on a tree root or loose rock) can cause pain. So I wear supportive hiking boots, there's just no way I could hike otherwise - especially with a loaded camera backpack. The most comfortable and supportive boot I've found is from Asolo (don't remember the name, it's the waterproof one that costs about $250 US).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24:14 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I've got a bad ankle that I've hurt repeatedly over the years, to the point where now even a very slight roll (say, from stepping on a tree root or loose rock) can cause pain. So I wear supportive hiking boots, there's just no way I could hike otherwise - especially with a loaded camera backpack. The most comfortable and supportive boot I've found is from Asolo (don't remember the name, it's the waterproof one that costs about $250 US).
Tevas and trail-runners and such may be fine for you youngsters with strong ankles and a willingness to gamble. Not me. whenever I'm going to be on terrain that isn't absolutely level and flat I wear mid-weight hiking boots. Vasque boots (formerly Voyager) seem to fit my feet and are well-built, so that's what I use.

All this promoting of light-weight trail runners for serious hiking reminds me of a fellow I knew of many years ago who drove a (highly) modified VW Beetle in various hill climbs in New England, in particular, New Hampshire's Mount Washington Carriage Road. His VW had the original plastic wheel for a gas pedal (other dinosaurs on this forum may remember the original VW gas pedal), which must have weighed some three ounces at most. Nevertheless, he had drilled several large holes through the pedal in order to make it lighter.   

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DarkPenguin

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 03:29:48 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn

Mine flips over without any pain.  So if you keep spraining it you have that to look forward to.  The unfortunate part of this is that since it flips with no resistance I can pitch over onto my side and down a hill with little warning.

I don't always wear hiking boots. I suspect that if I did I'd have fallen down a lot fewer hills.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 04:08:18 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Mine flips over without any pain.  So if you keep spraining it you have that to look forward to.  The unfortunate part of this is that since it flips with no resistance I can pitch over onto my side and down a hill with little warning.

I don't always wear hiking boots. I suspect that if I did I'd have fallen down a lot fewer hills.

That's mostly why i wear boots most of the time when outside the house. The key difference is that while both mine fail easily, there is still pain when it does. So much pain...
Pages: [1]   Go Up