Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What "Medium" do you call your Inkjet Prints for sale?  (Read 28805 times)

Scott Martin

• Onsight
What "Medium" do you call your Inkjet Prints for sale?
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 10:25:46 am »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
That's why (when I'm not joking) I lean towards something like "pigment on paper."
If you do that, I'd encourage more specificity as to what type of paper is being used.

Pigment print on cotton rag paper
Pigment print on fiber base paper
Coated pigment print on canvas
etc...

Collectors, curators and buyers like to know this info and this is consistent with historical print specification methods.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 01:33:19 pm »

Quote from: pearlstreet
Pigjet is brilliant but we should pronounce it pee zhay, don't you think?  

Sharon
Who is going to be the first one to put this on their website???

Randy Carone

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »

Sharon,

Genius! pee zhay. I do not want to know what it means in French!
Randy Carone

Pete Berry

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »

Just back from Yosemite, where I visited, as usual, the hallowed halls of the Ansel Adams Gallery.

They label archival digital prints of his works, and others by current staff photographers, as "Archival Pigment Photograph". Can't recall how they labled the much less expensive non-archival ones....

I can't come up with a more apt single word than "archival" to distinguish prints in the "fine art" category from those made with dye-based ink and/or unstable media.

Pete

Sven W

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:49 am »

Quote from: Onsight
If you do that, I'd encourage more specificity as to what type of paper is being used.

Pigment print on cotton rag paper
Pigment print on fiber base paper
Coated pigment print on canvas
etc...

Collectors, curators and buyers like to know this info and this is consistent with historical print specification methods.

I really agree on that....
That's the term Mac Holbert at Nash Editons recommendes.
FYI....I'm going to reproduce 14 silveralbumin prints for the MoMA here in Stockholm.
And I've had a long discussion with their conservation expert regarding the terminology for this project.
This is our conclusion:
The photographs are made by Guillaume Berggren around 1880-90 and printed as "silveralbumin prints".
The reproductions are photographs made as "pigment prints on acidfree cotton rag".

/Sven
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:22:16 pm by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

buckshot

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 12:59:12 pm »

Quote from: Sven W
The reproductions are photographs made as "pigment prints on acidfree cotton rag".

So, would those reproductions be casein pigment prints ... or carbon pigment prints ... (or some other established photographic process using pigments) ... or inkjet pigment prints?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:34 pm »

Quote from: buckshot
So, would those reproductions be casein pigment prints ... or carbon pigment prints ... (or some other established photographic process using pigments) ... or inkjet pigment prints?
And what sort of process was the cotton grown with?  Where did all of the acid go and how?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Sven W

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 02:43:21 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
And what sort of process was the cotton grown with?  Where did all of the acid go and how?

Ok, very funny for somebody.....
And for twenty years ago, the term for a b/w print in all the museums was:
"Beseler-Oriental-Dektol-Selenium" print.
Stockholm, Sweden

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 03:04:09 pm »

Quote from: Sven W
Ok, very funny for somebody.....
Just advocating simple, non-obfuscating (ie. giclee), but not anal retentive nomenclature in paragraph form.  How the creator got from A to B is the backstory, but the operative information is what the collector is left to hold in their hand or put on their wall.  "Pigment on (xyz media)" seems to hit the sweet spot for me.  If they know that the print will last as long as current technology can offer and find the end result visually appealing, they can ask additional questions later, but know what they absolutely need to know in the course of a few words.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

enduser

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:02 pm »

We are going to describe all our work from now on as  "iPrints".

na goodman

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2010, 04:07:23 am »

Ron, I just wanted to say, very nice website.

buckshot

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2010, 10:53:08 am »

...how the creator got from A to B is the backstory...

Certainly with inkjet printing, becasue there is no backstory with respect to the actual (physical) printing of the image. Well, that's not quite true, it usually goes like this: "I put a piece of paper in the printer, loaded its icc profile, and hit the print button in photoshop". For other printing techniques there is a 'backstory', or biography, that is relevant, interesting and important to the buyer/collector. Have a look at http://www.photogravure.com/ to see what I mean. Maybe one day there'll be a similar site called www.epsonultrachromek3inkset.com, but I doubt it.

...but know what they absolutely need to know in the course of a few words.

So "Pigment on (xyz media)" is ok (but misleading), while 'inkjet pigment print on (xyz media)' is too long-winded (but accurate)?

It's interesting why many photographers are jumping through hoops to avoid using the word inkjet. I suspect it has something to do with the perception of the work's value by the buyer/collector/viewer, but I may be mistaken (oooh, it's a giclee print - must be worth a lot more than a plain old inkjet pigment version. Doh!) However, if that is the case then it's a shame, because a strong image will always sell, pretty much no matter what it's printed on or how it's described. If you've got confidence in the strength of your work spell it out - 'This is an archival inkjet print on Epson matte paper made using the Epson Ultrachrome K3 inkset'. If on the other hand you work is of average quality, dress it up in some fancy language - 'This is a giclee carbon (pigment) print on 100% acid-free organic fair-trade cotton rag' - and hope the gullible buyer falls for it. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up