Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AptusII-10 vs P65+  (Read 4495 times)

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
AptusII-10 vs P65+
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:19:45 am »

I'm having a hard time deciding which to go for. As a long term Leaf Aptus user I'm more inclined to buy the Leaf, and I will continue to use them, but, the Phase is also attractive because of ff and resale value. I like Leaf Capture and prefer the resulting files, yes there are still some difference between LC & C1. If cost was the same which would you choose and why?

PS. I shoot only nudes, and a little portraiture now & then, no landscapes, architecture, fashion, etc...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:25:55 am by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

archivue

AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:24 am »

why i prefer Leaf...

leaf capture for skin tones (but i didn't test these backs !)
a leaf back can use Leaf capture and C1
leaf screens are better

But i miss long exposure with my back  !

ddk

AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:26 am »

Quote from: archivue
why i prefer Leaf...

leaf capture for skin tones (but i didn't test these backs !)
a leaf back can use Leaf capture and C1
leaf screens are better

But i miss long exposure with my back  !

they both use dalsa chips these days, the differences aren't big like comparing an Aptus 75s, to a p45+. For me its a question of integration with my other Aptus backs and workflow. Yes, with the Aptus one can use both LC and C1, which is an advantage...
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:05:50 pm »

Probably comes down to crop factor...  I really liked the 3::2 until I started shooting square now I can't go back its just too restrictive.  I'm happy with the 4::5 format.  Personally I wouldn't consider the Aptus 10 because of the crop. Probably works for landscape shooters but not something I'd use for people or figures.
Rolleiflex USA

Lawrie_Hope

• Peartreephoto
AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:38 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Probably comes down to crop factor...  I really liked the 3::2 until I started shooting square now I can't go back its just too restrictive.  I'm happy with the 4::5 format.  Personally I wouldn't consider the Aptus 10 because of the crop. Probably works for landscape shooters but not something I'd use for people or figures.

Don't forget if you are shooting tethered with the Aptus II 10 where you can use 'Sensorflex' technology. This gives you three different crops, on the fly, 56 x 36mm 48 x 36mm and 36 x 36mm in Leaf Capture, and ALL are Unbuffered, plus ability to open mos files in any additional 3rd party software.
Lawrie Hope
London, UK
Peartree

http://www.peartreephotoshop.co.uk

Williamson Images

• http://www.williamsonimages.com
AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:18:52 pm »

I'm biassed.  I bought the Leaf because of the lower price, and better screen.  Now you can get a rotating sensor for VC work and on several MF camera models.  There is so much resolution, you can afford to crop to your favorite aspect ratio - just add the lines in your focussing screen...

The color and sharpness are amazing right out of the can.  I am a Lightroom fan but many great options.  You wouldn't be disappointed.  

Robb  
-------------------------
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:04:38 pm »

Quote from: ddk
I'm having a hard time deciding which to go for. As a long term Leaf Aptus user I'm more inclined to buy the Leaf, and I will continue to use them, but, the Phase is also attractive because of ff and resale value. I like Leaf Capture and prefer the resulting files, yes there are still some difference between LC & C1. If cost was the same which would you choose and why?

PS. I shoot only nudes, and a little portraiture now & then, no landscapes, architecture, fashion, etc...

Hi David,

I use Leaf Aptus 65 for landscapes and portrait as an advanced amateur. The P65+ has a Dalsa sensor, thus it seems it has some similar character as the Leaf backs that use Dalsa. Personally I much prefer Leaf for the excellent display and user interface, and of course that I am accustomed to the Leaf "appearance" of files.

Above said, I have prior used CS4 Camera Raw for processing, but recent switch to Capture One 5.1. Frankly I am blown away by the quality I can achieve with Capture One for Leaf Aptus files. It feels as if I have a new camera! I would recommend anyone with Leaf back to take a very careful and deep look at Capture One, and in particular also with the advanced skin and color adjustments, and other tools to alter an image, including of course also the ICC profiles, styles and curve selections. I tried Leaf Capture, but my impression is that it is perhaps most suited for studio tethering use and for a "single look". Capture One tends to work more like my brain. A few years back I looked at C1 and did not like it all, but... it is funny how life goes, for now it feels to beat any other program I have used. I guess I am bias now... Leaf Aptus and Capture One.  

Regards
Anders

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:38:27 pm »

Totally irrelevant for nudes, but I would personnally go the Aptus route because of the potential for Pano work. With 9000 pixels on the long end, there would be very little need left for multi-row stitching, at least with a 44 inch printer.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:39:13 pm by BernardLanguillier »

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:40 am »

Quote from: Darius_Gelich
Don't forget if you are shooting tethered with the Aptus II 10 where you can use 'Sensorflex' technology. This gives you three different crops, on the fly, 56 x 36mm 48 x 36mm and 36 x 36mm in Leaf Capture, and ALL are Unbuffered, plus ability to open mos files in any additional 3rd party software.

Hi Darius,

This Sensorflex ability is regrettably only limited to tethered use. Do you think that the ability to do the same (in particular square format) is something that is developed also for non-tethered use, where it would really matter for me? Thanks.
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

ddk

AptusII-10 vs P65+
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:35:43 am »

Eric,
I hadn't thought about the crop factor, I guess I have to print a few image and see how it works out.

Quote from: Darius_Gelich
Darius,
Good to know but I almost never shoot tethered, so that wont work for me.

Quote from: Williamson Images
I'm biassed.  I bought the Leaf because of the lower price, and better screen.  Now you can get a rotating sensor for VC work and on several MF camera models.  There is so much resolution, you can afford to crop to your favorite aspect ratio - just add the lines in your focussing screen...

The color and sharpness are amazing right out of the can.  I am a Lightroom fan but many great options.  You wouldn't be disappointed.  

Robb
Robb,
The price is the opposite now, you actually get a better deal trading in the old Leaf back for the P65+ than the Aptus-II 10, hence my dilemma. I'm not up to cropping every image to get an aspect ratio, it either works or it doesn't. I have no worries regarding IQ, I wouldn't even be considering it if I had any doubts.

Quote from: Anders_HK
Hi David,

I use Leaf Aptus 65 for landscapes and portrait as an advanced amateur. The P65+ has a Dalsa sensor, thus it seems it has some similar character as the Leaf backs that use Dalsa. Personally I much prefer Leaf for the excellent display and user interface, and of course that I am accustomed to the Leaf "appearance" of files.

Above said, I have prior used CS4 Camera Raw for processing, but recent switch to Capture One 5.1. Frankly I am blown away by the quality I can achieve with Capture One for Leaf Aptus files. It feels as if I have a new camera! I would recommend anyone with Leaf back to take a very careful and deep look at Capture One, and in particular also with the advanced skin and color adjustments, and other tools to alter an image, including of course also the ICC profiles, styles and curve selections. I tried Leaf Capture, but my impression is that it is perhaps most suited for studio tethering use and for a "single look". Capture One tends to work more like my brain. A few years back I looked at C1 and did not like it all, but... it is funny how life goes, for now it feels to beat any other program I have used. I guess I am bias now... Leaf Aptus and Capture One.  

Hi Anders,

I have 3 Aptus backs right now and I'm only trading one of them up only because of the deals that are available now. I'd like to stay with the Aptus family, but the P65+ trade-up pricing is too attractive to ignore without seriously considering it. I use and been using LC for all my files, the change to C1 is a matter of concern, how will everything integrate, and I'm not even sure if C1 supports my other backs or not, I use all three backs in each shoot.

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Totally irrelevant for nudes, but I would personnally go the Aptus route because of the potential for Pano work. With 9000 pixels on the long end, there would be very little need left for multi-row stitching, at least with a 44 inch printer.

Bernard, I find the thought of an 8' nude tantalizing, you never know...

Thanks everyone for their input, good to know the Leaf crowd. The decision would be have been much easier if the P65+ was the worse deal or if it a had a different chip, but the way things are, its very tempting and the logical choice if one considers 2nd hand values.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:32:18 pm by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk
Pages: [1]   Go Up