Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Management in Windows 7?  (Read 5057 times)

tived

• http://
Color Management in Windows 7?
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:21:57 am »

Hi Guys,

I haven't installed windows 7 yet myself, but I have been helping a friend out with his printer and we are really struggling getting good prints out based on when we see on the screen.

PC Windows 7 - very fast plenty of everything
Printer - Epson 3800
Monitor Eizo CG241W and a Samsung (cheeepy and nasty)

monitor has been calibrated with iOne II and iMatch 3.6.2 and we have also tried Spyder3studio

i took one of his images, and processed it on my own calibrated system (windows xp x64) and on my old trusty Epson 4000, i can print an almost print to screen match.

Now, i take this same image over to him, and ask him to print it and it looks so different.

Now i noticed that there is more choices in the color management under the display advance setting, but I haven't played with it.

Can anyone please help me shed some light on this or am I just going mad? :-) don't answer the later

Henrik

tived

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:23:18 am »

I should add, I am of course using profiles all the way through! and I have checked the paper settings and these seem to be OK too

thanks

Henrik

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:04:58 am »

I believe the Eizo Monitor should be calibrated with Eizos own Calibration Software Color Navigator.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:05:11 am »

My calibrated workflow works fine, and didn't notice any changes in color balance. All my settings under Win7's own color management are on default. I have Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, monitor calibrated with Spyder 2 with latest software after installing Win7, Canon i9950 printer with custom-made profile which was not updated for Win7.

First thing I'd check if you have the latest calibration software. The Spyder 2 software I'm using was updated late last year to support Win7, not sure if earlier versions worked with it.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:05 am »

I'm running Win 7 with a NEC calibrated monitor (SpectraView) and an Epson 3880.  All drivers are current and prints match the screen; no problems observed at all.  the printer is brand new and I've only printed on Ilford GFS, Museo Silver Rag, and Epson Exhibition Fiber (all profiles prepared with ColorMunki).  Will be printing on some of my favorite matte papers in the next couple of weeks.

tived

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:03:15 pm »

Thanks guys,

what specs are you calibrating your monitors to, to get screen to print, on the Epson? as in what is your luminous white?

I think I will have to make sure that windows color management is set to default when I see him next.

thanks heaps

Henrik

OpticalMedia

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:05:06 am »

Henrik hi,

I was about to write up and stimulate a discussion concerning this link I stumbled across - I believe that if you have not yet solved your problem then this could be the solution to your problem! I am not sure if the others in this post(Feppe, Alan) were aware of this glitch in Windows 7 (or were just lucky with accurate prints) but according to this link - Windows 7 default color management MUST be changed in order for your monitor to load the calibrated profile correctly each time. Do let me know if this solves your problem.

Have a good day.  

http://www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles/color...n7/default.aspx

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:57 pm »

Quote from: tived
Thanks guys,

what specs are you calibrating your monitors to, to get screen to print, on the Epson? as in what is your luminous white?

I think I will have to make sure that windows color management is set to default when I see him next.

thanks heaps

Henrik

Windows 7 64 bit
NEC 2690 calibrated with a Munki, 5000k, 2.2, 110.
Prints to a Epson 2200 (GFS and Ilford smooth pearl), profiles by the Munki
Prints viewed in a GTI print viewing station.

To my eyes a perfect match screen to print.

Craig Lamson Photo

LaszloPusztai

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:24:10 pm »

Quote from: infocusinc
Windows 7 64 bit
NEC 2690 calibrated with a Munki, 5000k, 2.2, 110.
Prints to a Epson 2200 (GFS and Ilford smooth pearl), profiles by the Munki
Prints viewed in a GTI print viewing station.

To my eyes a perfect match screen to print.

Printing from Windows 7 x64 / Qimage (although doing some PS work on a Mac OS 10.6.3).
EIZO CG241W, calibrated with Eye-One Pro device and basICColor display software.

D50, 80 cd/m2, L* gamma.

Printing with an Epson 4800 mostly on Hahnemuehle matte papers (Photo Rag, Museum Etching, William Turner). In soft-proof I have a perfect screen-to-print match.

Was using D65 and 100 cd/m2 for a long time, but prints looked somewhat duller and darker than the display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up