Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Longevity Information - April Opportunity  (Read 808 times)

deanwork

Print Longevity Information - April Opportunity
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:09:48 am »

You can read about the free membership offer here on the Aardenburg Imaging website. - http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/
For those of you who care about print longevity I think we owe it to this guy to study what he is doing here very carefully. There is no other resource like this in the world. I've already learned a tremendous amount the last 6 months about all kind of stability issues.

I don't know how many of you imaging guys out here are aware of the amazing resource of the Aardenburg Imaging website started recently. This I Metric system of measuring print longevity is the most comprehensive, advanced, and informative system we have for learning about how ALL the current inkjet inks and various third party and oem media are holding up over time. The owner Mark is trying to support this small but important service by taking small memberships from people like us to view the tests as they progress. I , along with many others on these lists have submitted samples ourselves and see them in test  right now, many with duplicates from others. Things that would never get tested by an independent source otherwise are in progress. As an example, if you want to learn something, view the comparisons between Fuji type C and the current inkjet pigments and how the various media compares to the same exposure levels. See exactly what is taking place over time to both the papers and the colorants.

Unlike some in this field, he isn't supported by the big three ink and printer manufacturers. And, that alone makes it a challenge to operate I'm sure. I for one hope they survive long enough to become well known.

I just noticed on their website that he has gotten his first company to begin sponsoring memberships to their customers. It is a framing company called Frame Destinations. They are offering a free annual membership to the website information with the purchase of framing supplies. I wish a lot of art institutions that don't sell ink and paper could do this too.

If nothing else go to the website and read about this methodology if you haven't studied it already. Unlike Wilhelm and others in Europe, he measures and separates  print changes into three separate categories: pigment color stability, media stability, and tonal change over time as distinct but related entities. And, he shows with color patches updated at frequent intervals on the site exactly what color and tone is changing when and why. And he has a detailed table of how specific ranges of intensities of light (not just 450 lux for 12 hours a day) and time change the integrity of these new media. They also show specifically how oba content changes the result, when and where in the color/tonal spectrum, etc, etc. It will wake you up in a lot of ways.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up