Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading Lightroom Beta 3  (Read 2499 times)

stamper

Downloading Lightroom Beta 3
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:26:29 am »

About two weeks ago I downloaded Beta 3 from - I think - the USA site. Yesterday I got an e-mail from what appears to be Adobe UK stating I should download another version because my existing version ends at the end of April and the new version lasts till June. This the gist of the e-mail.

Adobe Systems Europe
3 Roundwood Avenue, Stockley Park
Uxbridge, UB11 1AY, UK
www.adobe.com/uk
   Adobe®
Thank you for participating in the Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 3 beta.

Based on your feedback from the initial Lightroom 3 beta release, an update is now available – Lightroom 3 beta 2. This release includes new features and is available in 12 languages.

Please note that your current version will expire on April 30, 2010 – and you will need to download this updated version to continue using the beta product.

We value and appreciate your continued support of Lightroom and look forward to hearing your feedback on this latest update.
Download now
Best regards,
The Lightroom Team

I am suspicious about this and probably a little paranoid about clicking on the ..... Download now.
Anyone else in the UK had this e-mail?

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:04:00 am »

If you are worried, go to the Adobe site and don't follow the link from the mail.

The message is correct - the first beta expires April 30 and you must start using the new beta 2 before then.

Given how much improved it is, I'd suggest getting it ASAP.

http://labs.adobe.com/

stamper

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:49:24 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
If you are worried, go to the Adobe site and don't follow the link from the mail.

The message is correct - the first beta expires April 30 and you must start using the new beta 2 before then.

Given how much improved it is, I'd suggest getting it ASAP.

http://labs.adobe.com/

I bit the bullet and done as you suggested. I downloaded the beta again and checked and they are identical. I started the version that I had on my computer and checked the help .... Check for updates ..... and lo and behold .... No updates available. I won't be clicking on the download now in the e-mail. My system - imo - is well protected but I am not taking the chance.

Just checked the UK site and the download for the beta and it states.

The Lightroom 3 beta program is available to the public, so that means anyone with an Internet connection can download it and start putting it to the test. You do not need to own (or have tried) a previous version of Lightroom. You can download the beta and use it until the product expires. The current Lightroom 3 public beta 2 will expire on June 30, 2010.

This is what I read originally. Yet the e-mail says April 30 2010. Somebody has fouled up or it is an invite to a virus?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:57:46 am by stamper »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:03 am »

Quote from: stamper
I bit the bullet and done as you suggested. I downloaded the beta again and checked and they are identical. I started the version that I had on my computer and checked the help .... Check for updates ..... and lo and behold .... No updates available. I won't be clicking on the download now in the e-mail. My system - imo - is well protected but I am not taking the chance.

Just checked the UK site and the download for the beta and it states.

The Lightroom 3 beta program is available to the public, so that means anyone with an Internet connection can download it and start putting it to the test. You do not need to own (or have tried) a previous version of Lightroom. You can download the beta and use it until the product expires. The current Lightroom 3 public beta 2 will expire on June 30, 2010.

This is what I read originally. Yet the e-mail says April 30 2010. Somebody has fouled up or it is an invite to a virus?
I think Adobe just got their lists mingled between those who have Beta 1 and those who have Beta 2. I got the same email soon after downloading Beta 2 from the Adobe website. I do have Beta 1 as well, so I thought they were just a little slow announcing the new one.

I do think the marketing folks at Adobe are a little confused: When I went to the Adobe website to download Beta 2, elsewhere on the download page it was referred to as "Beta 3." 

So just ignore the email message and do have fun with Beta 3. It's really great, and the threads here on LuLa give lots of useful information about the quirks.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

eliedinur

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:13:23 pm »

I received the same email today. It is genuine. Beta 1 ends on April 30. Beta 2 was released a week ago. Beta 2 has features that Beta 1 lacks.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »

Version 2 has better noise reduction.  Sharpening is changed a bit as well.  It runs a bit faster as well.  However when I ran it on a laptop running Vista, it seemed that the scroll bar at the bottom was running amok.  I haven't had time to investigate it further though.

stamper

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 04:08:58 am »

Quote from: elied
I received the same email today. It is genuine. Beta 1 ends on April 30. Beta 2 was released a week ago. Beta 2 has features that Beta 1 lacks.

It is beta 2 that I have hence the confusion. I thought I had an e-mail with a virus which could have infected my computer. You can't be too careful?    

Quote from the e-mail

Based on your feedback from the initial Lightroom 3 beta release, an update is now available

Unquote

I didn't provide any feedback!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:11:13 am by stamper »

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:25:44 am »

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:25:56 am by Jeremy Payne »
Pages: [1]   Go Up