Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo mounting disk - is it necessary?  (Read 1356 times)

sumowondertoad

• http://www.scottstory.com
Gitzo mounting disk - is it necessary?
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:29:38 am »

I have an older Gitzo G1228 (mark 1 I believe) and it has the standard mounting disk (plastic on this model) on the center tube.  I can completely remove the disk and still mount a head.  My question is, do I need to use the disk?  I mean, it doesn't seem to make much difference as far as stability and strength.  I understand that the disk spreads the screw strength over a wider area, but it's basically just a thick plastic washer.  Seems like I would be better off with a more rigid metal-to-metal mounting.  The head I'm using is an RRS BH-40 and it has a nice flat metal bottom.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:29:55 pm »

Why not give RRS a call and ask them?  They sell Gitzo and you have their head. They are located in San Luis Obispo, CA.   I have found them to be very helpful and would be curious to know what they say.  My initial reaction is that it would be better to mount on a wider platform to spread out the forces, but who knows???

Greg D

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:25:49 pm »

Quote from: sumowondertoad
I have an older Gitzo G1228 (mark 1 I believe) and it has the standard mounting disk (plastic on this model) on the center tube.  I can completely remove the disk and still mount a head.  My question is, do I need to use the disk?  I mean, it doesn't seem to make much difference as far as stability and strength.  I understand that the disk spreads the screw strength over a wider area, but it's basically just a thick plastic washer.  Seems like I would be better off with a more rigid metal-to-metal mounting.  The head I'm using is an RRS BH-40 and it has a nice flat metal bottom.

I'm no expert, but I have an older Gitzo (1027, I think - a small one) that I use the RRS 25 head on.  I removed the disk because the head's locking lever bumped it, requiring repositioning every time you adjusted it.  I've been using it for several years like this with no problems.  The only issue I see is that the disk serves as a nut to secure the stud in place; without it, the stud can work its way out and get lost when the head is removed, but if you leave the head on all the time, that's irrelevant.  In terms of any play, mine feels tighter without the disk than with it, but I guess that could be different with a larger head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up