Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hudson River Valley suggestions?  (Read 4088 times)

paulbk

Hudson River Valley suggestions?
« on: March 01, 2005, 07:16:31 pm »

Where in the Hudson River valley? It’s a long river.

For simplicity we can divide the Hudson into four regions:
1)  Lower Hudson – from Kingston south to New York City.
Here you can spend the rest of your life photographing old money 19th century estates. Start on the east side in Hyde Park with the Roosevelt home, the Vanderbilt Mansion, and Mills Mansion in Staatsburg. Then work your way up the east side of the river through Rhinebeck and Bard College. All beautiful, and lots of money to keep it that way. No California glitz here, these were the original robber barons but they had great Victorian taste.

West Point – Cross the river to the west side and go south for an hour and spend a weekend at West Point. A visit to West Point is life altering. The history, the cadets, the long grey line... (I recommend October through early November, it’s all about grey.).

2)  Mid Hudson – from Kingston north to Glens Falls.
If you like city scapes, try Albany and Troy (home of Uncle Sam). Old, old historic cities trying to make in the 21th century. Malls have killed downtown shopping. But there are pockets of hope. Also, while you’re in the area, shoot the Cohoes falls on the Mohawk River during the melt. It’s just up river from where the Mohawk meets the Hudson.

3)  Upper Hudson – from Glens Falls north to North Creek.
Beautiful in spots, but mostly slow water, pastoral landscape, and dead mill towns.

4)  North Hudson Adirondack Wilderness – from North Creek north to it’s source high in the Marcy range.
Here’s where it gets really interesting and *fun*. Few people know about the Hudson River gorge, 16 miles of nearly continuous class III-IV rapids through pristine Adirondack wilderness surrounded by towering granite walls. Use an experienced outfitter guide (not for first timers or amateurs.) and raft the far north Hudson in early-mid May. If you’d rather see “green and granite” than packed sand, it’s better than the Colorado. At least I think so.

Enjoy!
paul
paul b.k.
New England, USA

tamerlin

• http://www.usefilm.com/portfolio.php
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 08:23:01 pm »

Hunt down the Adirondak Mountain Club sometime; they run a
lot of hikes in that area. My mother's a member, and a hike leader,
and you'd probably like her style -- she's the sort who'd rather
stop to take pictures whenever she feels like it instead of trying
to cover ground.

On the side of parks, there's Mohonk Mountain and right next to it
Minnewaska State (I thnk) Park... both are gorgeous. They're on
the west side of the Hudson, approximately between Kingston and
Poughkeepsie.

Also, the Hudson Valley is a nesting ground for quite a few
raptors, some of which are endangered (including IIRC
peregrines) in case you're interested in bird photography.

If you want I can get you in touch with my mother, just let
me know!

Welcome to the Hudson Valley, even though I'm now in DC

tamerlin

• http://www.usefilm.com/portfolio.php
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 10:23:43 pm »

Adirondack Mountain Club

In case you're interested

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 05:58:44 pm »

Hi there,

Does anyone have any suggestions for locations to shoot from in the Hudson River Valley?  I moved into the area recently and I'm curious what's around.  Thanks!

--b

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 07:25:02 am »

Thanks Paul, that was very helpful!  I didn't single out a single part of the river as I really enjoy all of it.  I've spent some time exploring from nyc up to the saratoga springs / lake george region, and I really like all of it.

Do you have any recommendations for the Bear Mountain / Storm King / Breakneck Ridge area?  I'm going to spending some time hiking the trails in the area (so I guess I'll figure it out eventually myself), but I was just wondering if anyone had any favorite vistas.  

Thanks!

RJNPhoto

• www.rjnphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 07:42:41 am »

Hi

I live in the small town of Athens on the Hudson River just south of Albany (approx. 35 miles). Here are many great places to shoot in this area. Just up in the Catskill Mountains in the Hunter area you have some excellent streams and waterfalls along with great trails with excellent views. From the trails in the North Lake state park you look out over the Hudson Valley and another great view down into the Hudson Valley is from huckleberry point which is in the Platt Cove area, just to the south of Tannersville.

To the south in the Newburgh area you have the mountain range that the locals call the Gunk’s. In this area you will also find many great hiking trails with views and water features. I would suggest picking up some hiking guides and maps for these areas.

The other areas are all the small towns long the Hudson River, many of the these towns have great photo opts in them, just part the car and start walking around and see what comes up.

Enjoy exploring the Hudson valley, it is a great place.

Robert
Robert Near
www.rjnphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up