Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maine - April 17-19  (Read 2091 times)

JonathanBenoit

Maine - April 17-19
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:42 am »

I'm thinking about driving up to Down East Maine in a couple weeks. I'm not sure on the weather though. Does anyone have any recommendations for this time of year?

Thanks

Photo Op

Maine - April 17-19
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:28:59 am »

David

dwood

Maine - April 17-19
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:44:40 pm »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit
I'm thinking about driving up to Down East Maine in a couple weeks. I'm not sure on the weather though. Does anyone have any recommendations for this time of year?

Thanks
April weather can be a mixed bag. Could be rainy (we've have snow in April on occasion) and a bit raw or could be in the 60's, or even warmer. I would recommend bringing clothes for the raw side of things. It will still likely be pretty cool in the evenings...30's and 40's.

Downeast Maine doesn't really begin until you hit Bucksport. Some of my favorite areas to shoot, and this is all coastal, includes Deer Isle, Stonington, Brooklin, Blue Hill, and Surry. Of course, not to be missed is Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island (MDI). Also on MDI, there's Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor, Seal Cove, Bass Harbor etc. If you were up to taking a boat ride, you might want to visit Isle au Haut, Swan's Island or the Cranberry Isles. Google all of this on maps to see where I'm talking about.

Have fun.

framah

Maine - April 17-19
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:45:34 am »

You forgot Monhegan Island!!...  As well as Schoodic Point! Schoodic is a small bit of Acadia NP without all of the tourists. This time of the year, you probably would be the only tourist out there. Last week we had temps over 70 and now we are barely breaking 50. I'm in Ellsworth, which you have to go thru to get to Mt Desert Island where the main part of Acadia NP is located.

It does still  get down to the low 40's on the coast and it is forecast for off and on rain this week. In some places the spring flowers are starting to pop out. Depends on how exposed to the wind they are.

On the plus side, the bugs will still be far and few.... but not for much longer. We get about 2 or 3 weeks where we can go out and play without the Black flies dragging us into the woods for a feasting.
After that, you need the full netting gear to work in  the garden for any length of time.

This is my favorite time to shoot as the plants are starting to wake up and you can see the faint colors in the woods.

Come on up and enjoy!!  
By the way... Bucksport has one of the nicest looking bridges  and is one of only 2 of that type construction in the US and it has an observation tower as well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:50:20 am by framah »
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up